Rogue Magic User

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
This kinda speaks more to, and would be decided by, "how magic works/spells work."

If you are hiding or have advantage or whatever the rogue needs to get in a "SNEAK attack" and casting a spell requires vocalization and hand motions, then I do not see how one could cast Magic Missile and maintain "sneaking".

The magic missile is going to hit anyway...is it going to hit with the Sneak attack bonus damage? Absolutely not...to my mind.

Same for shocking grasp...the spell (even a cantrip) must be CAST it's not a mutant power that just starts, silently, at will.

That, of course, is a [my] judgement call and not having the playtest I don't know if they go into the "how" of magic working (even "at will"). So it might be possible if they stipulate that the at-will cantrips do NOT require vocalization and it IS a kinda "summoned power" that requires no noise or notice.

But I would still not permit "sneak attack" damage from a spell...especially, as others have said, the thief must HIT the target...and I think I saw a quote saying with a weapon, but might be mistaken.

Remove ads