• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogue vs. Scout

Pbartender

First Post
blargney the second said:
There are feats in PHB2 that let you get iterative attacks during a spring attack.

There's also a prestige class that'll let you do that, if I'm not mistaken, and a feats that let's you take a full attack during a Charge.

Not to mention the PHB II feat that lets you deal Sneak Attack or Skirmish damage on a critical hit.

Asmo

First Post
I think it should be mentioned that the skirmish ability has errata:

"She deals an extra 1d6 points of damage on all attacks she makes during any round in wich she moves at least 10 feet away from where she was at the start of her turn.The extra damage applies only to attacks made after the scout has moved at least 10 feet.The skirmish ability cannot be used while mounted."

Asmo

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
What I like about the Scout is that the extra HP, movement, and easily gained bonus damage make them a useful tactical hit & run brawler. These are boots that the Rogue, Rogue/Fighter, or Rogue/Ranger never quite managed to fill although you might think they should be able to. The secret sauce is the extra movement which allows them to get out of trouble. A few additional HP give much needed breathing room as well. The Rogue was just too delicate for this role.

What I like about the Rogue is that they are still supreme for the ambush. Unfortunately they have to be cautious about getting into the thick of a brawl. Do not underestimate the advantage in flexibility gained with the UMD skill once you hit the double-digit levels in a magical world like D&D.

As for Sneak dice versus Skirmish dice, keep in mind that a Rogue who on average can make a measly single sneak attack every other round is going to stay competitive with the Scout in the damage department. A skilled player with a middling level Rogue or higher surely can do much better than that.

The Scout is an easier character to play. The Rogue is potentially more potent, but it requires more careful play and a party that allows the Rogue opportunity to use some of his strengths.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
TheNovaLord said:
As a scout as you dont need to worry about putting points in any social skills (they spend so much time alone they dont need to bathe etc) means they will have at least 8 very good skills indeed.

There is a Scout PC in one campaign I am in who rolled up an 18 Int and a low low Cha. He is Human.

So many Skill Points, I could puke.

Nyaricus

First Post
Asmo said:
I think it should be mentioned that the skirmish ability has errata:

"She deals an extra 1d6 points of damage on all attacks she makes during any round in wich she moves at least 10 feet away from where she was at the start of her turn.The extra damage applies only to attacks made after the scout has moved at least 10 feet.The skirmish ability cannot be used while mounted."

Asmo
I heard there was a feat in Dragon (??) that allows you to now Skirmish while riding a horse. Yummy :)

Pesonally, I think they both have their places, and are both great classes in general :)

Rogues are great at what they do. Scout are equally as great at what they do. The difference, a Scout gray's the area between Ranger and Rogue just enough - ever wanted that somewhat in between class without multi classing - the Scout is dead on.

However speakinig of multiclassing, this is where the Scout really shines, add a few Scout levels to a Ranger or Fighter, or any Elf and the ranged combat leathality rises considerably. Add a few Scout levels to a Rogue and that first Flat-footed Sneak Attack made when the party wanders up on the unforseen monster; the Rogue can fade and still strike while limiting the amount of "in the way and in the line of fire" time to a minimum. A Scout and any offensive Spellcasting class makes a deadly combination, how about skirmish damage added to Ice Knife, very nasty indeed.

Rogues are by far my favorite class, I've played everything from the common criminal to a masterful diplomatic noble (and pretty much everything in between). When I play a rogue I am in my zone as far as Role-Playing so I will always be partial to that class, but I see the Scout as not a threat, but a long-missing member of the shadow alliance, along with Bards and Rangers, the Scout has finally filled the void in the base classes. I like them, and have seen them make quite a difference when played to the hilt.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads