• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogue vs. Scout

Prophet2b

First Post
What are the benefits of playing a Rogue over a Scout, or vice versa? In a general sense, is one better than the other? Are there specific situations in which one might be better than the other? I'm especially wondering - is there anything a Scout can do that a Rogue can't do?

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Depends on the style of play. Rogues can do the whole trapfinding thing. Their skill list is a bit better improved.

The scout doesn't get as much of a bonus on skirmish, but in my experience skirmish comes into play more than sneak attack. The rogue can't boost their AC through sneak attack, but the scout can through skirmish.

It really is a flavor difference. The mechanical difference follows the flavor difference.

Storyteller01

First Post
What NF said. Scout gets bonuses when they can move, but a rogue doesn't lose much when they're cornered.

Your rogue seems better for the dungeon crawl, the scout for open air advetures.

Prophet2b

First Post
Scouts have Trapfinding, too, actually... And Disable Device. Though not Open Lock or Use Magic Device.

I was especially wondering about the Skirmish vs. Sneak Attack ability. I've never seen a Scout in play, so I was wondering how moving 10 feet worked out, considering the Scout could never take a full attack with its Skirmish ability, whereas a Rogue can with Sneak Attack. That seems like a pretty huge difference right there.

I noticed that a common variant for Rogues was to allow Sneak Attack to be replaced with a Bonus Feat - which I was planning on implementing, if the Rogue in the party wanted to use it. Would allowing such a variant for the Scout's Skirmish ability be overpowering, or does anyone think it would be balancing to allow that, too?

Like I said, I've never seen a Scout in play. I don't know quite what they're capable of, as compared to a Rogue. On paper, they just seem potentially less useful. But maybe that's just dependent on the situation, which I haven't seen yet.

pawsplay

Hero
They are essentially interchangeable in skills... in my group, the Scout has been able to do all the requisite trap-finding. Open locks has not been a problem, since they usually just smash them down anyway.

They are different in combat. Rogues get some early defensive bonuses (evasion, uncanny dode) and depend on sneak attacks. Scouts, right from the beginning, can be involved in the nit and grit of a stand up fight. Their abilities are useful against the same sorts of opponents. Because of Scout bonus feats, you can sort of imitate a combat style thing, or you can take some pseudo-blindsense related feats (but should only do so if you plan on leaving the class).

Scouts, obviously, are potentially much better trackers. Rogues have some advantages in urban settings. Both are interchangeable underground.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Prophet2b said:
Like I said, I've never seen a Scout in play. I don't know quite what they're capable of, as compared to a Rogue. On paper, they just seem potentially less useful. But maybe that's just dependent on the situation, which I haven't seen yet.

Bingo. I've played with an enormously useful scout. They can get skirmish on nearly every attack as long as they can move regardless of what the enemy has up in defense. Rogue sneak attack can be highly situational.

Scouts in a game where the DM treats them as a rogue absolutely blow. Play a rogue and make the DM happy. Scouts in a game where the DM actually allows the scout to use their abilities can absolutely rock. Often, a scout outshines the rogue especially in reconnaisance. You want a person to scout out ahead? The rogue can do it. But the scout can do it and take down 1/4 to 1/2 the opponents as it leads them back to the party to handle.

Aus_Snow

First Post
The Rogue is an excellent class that makes complete sense.

The Scout is at best a mediocre class that makes only partial sense. I'm being kind here.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
pawsplay said:
Both are interchangeable underground.

I disagree. Underground I give the upper hand to the rogue. The scout may find his maneuverability hampered underground, whereas underground typically helps the rogue hide and get into sneak attack opportunities. But this is just my opinion.

Prophet2b

First Post
Nonlethal Force said:
But the scout can do it and take down 1/4 to 1/2 the opponents as it leads them back to the party to handle.

Oh. Wow. So a party of two scouts (which mine is probably going to have) has a whole lot of potential, I take it...

Remove ads