• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Rogues are Awesome. Is it the Tasha's Effect?

G

Guest 6801328

@OP: could you please remove the (first) apostrophe in the title? It's torturing me.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Some helpful information from Treantmonk which he published before Tasha's showing rogue arcane trickster damage always scaled well above baseline damage (which is considered as "OK" damage for a class based on a warlocks eldritch agonizing blast):

arcanetrickster.jpg

Zardnaar

Legend
Not only do they do the most damage they gave the most utility as well.

And gets better as they level. Shadow blade, haste, SCAG cantrips

nexalis

Numinous Hierophant
@Mistwell Since we seem to be playing very similar characters, I am quite curious about how you spent your first ASI, and how you intend to use the next few ASIs. Care to share?

On a Side Note: Last night, my Level 4 Forest Gnome Arcane Trickster used his Slippers of Spider Climbing and Mage Hand to completely bypass an elaborate puzzle trap that had the entire party flummoxed. It was glorious!

Last edited:

Mistwell

@Mistwell Since we seem to be playing very similar characters, I am quite curious about how you spent your first ASI, and how you intend to use the next few ASIs. Care to share?

On a Side Note: Last night, my Level 4 Forest Gnome Arcane Trickster used his Slippers of Spider Climbing and Mage Hand to completely bypass an elaborate puzzle that had the entire party flummoxed. It was glorious!
I just bumped Dex. Boring but effective.

I remain undecided on the next ASIs. We're 6th level right now.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I just bumped Dex. Boring but effective.

I remain undecided on the next ASIs. We're 6th level right now.
Is it boring? I think when you bump skill based abilities and it allows you to alter the game (e.g. land a stealth roll or sleight of hand) it opens some new doorways.

I just started a Paladin and after reading this whole thread have choice envy! My next character is going to be rogue.

I was thinking about a svirfneblin arcane trickster could be a blast. Was thinking perhaps escaped from a drow raid or something and ran to the surface.

though this thread has also got me excited about a thief rogue too...

Mistwell

Is it boring? I think when you bump skill based abilities and it allows you to alter the game (e.g. land a stealth roll or sleight of hand) it opens some new doorways.

I just started a Paladin and after reading this whole thread have choice envy! My next character is going to be rogue.

I was thinking about a svirfneblin arcane trickster could be a blast. Was thinking perhaps escaped from a drow raid or something and ran to the surface.

though this thread has also got me excited about a thief rogue too...
Oh yes in the game effective it's not boring. But for purposes of discussing choices on a message board like this...there isn't much interesting to discuss.

My attack rolls went up for both melee (Rapier with Green Flame Blade spell) and ranged attacks (Light Crossbow), my damage rolls went up with both, my initiative went up, one of my top three saves went up (and I have a mantle of spell resistance as my one magic item, uncanny dodge and very soon evasion - I laugh at spells!), my Acrobatics (yay for escaping grapples), Sleight of Hand (usable at range with Mage Hand Legerdemain), and Stealth (usable with just an ally with Naturally Stealthy and as a bonus action with Cunning Action) all went up.

That's a huge amount that went up. If a feat were phrased as giving that many benefits it might look overpowered.

But for discussions? Not really much to talk about.

nexalis

Numinous Hierophant
One thing I absolutely love about rogues is how SAD they are. This allows me to distribute my ability scores using point buy in a way that is best matched to my personal play style. I don't know about the rest of you, but there are certain attributes I have as a player that tend to manifest themselves in every character I play whether I like it or not. My knowledge of D&D lore is fairly compendious which is best reflected by playing a character with a reasonably high Intelligence score. I am also far from a shrinking violet when it comes to roleplaying exchanges, which is best reflected by having a reasonably high Charisma. To reflect these tendencies with minimal dissonance, my Forest Gnome Arcane Trickster Rogue has an Intelligence of 14 and a Charisma of 14 in addition to his Dexterity of 18. I can use this stat array as a rogue and still feel perfectly effective!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads