• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Rogues are badass mounted combatants...

Unless I am misreading cunning action/disengage.

My rogue uses a rapier and we were fighting some landshark thing ( I dunno what it was, my DM reskinned it. Maybe a bullette but it seemed a little weak for that.) Anyway we were mounted and I realized I could use disengage to make a pass-by attack on horseback. Suddenly I was channelling the movie Glory, and it was awesome.

Astrosicebear

First Post

My rogue uses a rapier and we were fighting some landshark thing ( I dunno what it was, my DM reskinned it. Maybe a bullette but it seemed a little weak for that.) Anyway we were mounted and I realized I could use disengage to make a pass-by attack on horseback. Suddenly I was channelling the movie Glory, and it was awesome.

Using only the Basic Rules, I cant find a ruling for or against... however, some points:

1)Cunning action says the rogue can take a bonus action... not sure how that applies to the rogue controlling/giving that action to the mount for the bonus disengage.

2)Not a huge concern for power... but strange that a rogue could be used in this way better than a fighter earlier.

CrashFiend82

Explorer
Am missing something because this should not work. Rogue gets dash, disengage, or hide as abonus action. It takes an action to controll a mount which would not count in there bonus actio. While you could move, attack, and disengage as normal your mount is not and therefore draing the attack, no?

Astrosicebear

First Post
Am missing something because this should not work. Rogue gets dash, disengage, or hide as abonus action. It takes an action to controll a mount which would not count in there bonus actio. While you could move, attack, and disengage as normal your mount is not and therefore draing the attack, no?

According to the rules, when you control the mount you use 1 of three action options: dash, disengage, dodge OR to use normal movement (it says its moves as you direct it). So these three options are all that it can do "special actions". Some mounts later might have "charge" or "pounce" actions etc.

The main issue here is whether the rogue's cunning action can be used to 'activate' the disengage action of the mount.

Dausuul

Legend

Check out the Mounted Combat feat. :)

Actually, re reading the controlling a Mount rules, it doesn't even take an action to control the mount. The mount gets all its move and then either dash, disengage, dodge.
According to the rules, when you control the mount you use 1 of three action options: dash, disengage, dodge OR to use normal movement (it says its moves as you direct it). So these three options are all that it can do "special actions". Some mounts later might have "charge" or "pounce" actions etc.

The main issue here is whether the rogue's cunning action can be used to 'activate' the disengage action of the mount.
I could see how you could read it that way, but it specifically says the mount can move AND act on the turn you mount it. Nowhere does it say you have to sacrifice an action, bonus action, or anything, really. So a cavalier might be more viable than people say because I am pretty dang sure the mount should be able to take the dodge action every round in combat.

Rhenny

Adventurer
Plus you get advantage against anything smaller than your horse. Sneak attack on thundering hooves.

Yup...that's the part that stings. I don't think this was intended, but it is RAW.

This makes a rogue the best horseman in the game.

Remove ads