WotC Roll 4 Combat: Hasbro/WotC was offered 20 million for D&D at the nadir of 4e.

darjr

I crit!
D&D overall is an underutilized IP.

Video games alone, D&D has enough to create enough revenue to surpass 20 million if given to the right developers and publishers.
Sometimes I get this weird sense and wonder if I'm in an alternate universe.

I think D&D should or could have been a huge video game property much larger than it is now.

Scribe

Legend
Note I think this including the huge undeniable success of the BG series and Torment and other games.

I think that success was just too early. The original BG/BG2 were PC only, and a niche market, Torment is a cult classic, but I dont think it was a huge financial success (no source, easily could be wrong in that).

BG3 shows the potential that was always there, for a mature video game experience (hell, a mature RPG experience!) that Wizards could absolutely lean into to push the brand profit margin higher.

mamba

Legend
I think that success was just too early. The original BG/BG2 were PC only, and a niche market, Torment is a cult classic, but I dont think it was a huge financial success (no source, easily could be wrong in that).

BG3 shows the potential that was always there, for a mature video game experience (hell, a mature RPG experience!) that Wizards could absolutely lean into to push the brand profit margin higher.
the video game market has certainly gotten much bigger since BG1/2 and Torment. They all were successful at their time, and there were a lot more than just these three too

Torment was RPG / Game of the year in 1999…

Zardnaar

Legend
the video game market has certainly gotten much bigger since BG1/2 and Torment. They all were successful at their time, and there were a lot more than just these three too

Torment was RPG / Game of the year in 1999…

I don't think it sold massively well by 1999 standards.

Wasn't a flop either iirc.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Sometimes I get this weird sense and wonder if I'm in an alternate universe.

I think D&D should or could have been a huge video game property much larger than it is now.
It could.

Handed quality devs D&D could have major video games in multiple video game RPG: Party Based, Single Player Action, Survival, Team Action
Then you get into other genre: 4X, RTS, TBS, Army Strategy, Visual Novel, Horror, CCG, Grand Strategy

I mean each setting can be pulled to a natural game genre and has the lore to fill them and the longevity to make publishers want more than a cash grab.

WOTC has been leaving money on the table for decades now.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Their stance against AI art is really going to make it difficult for them to compete in terms of a cost basis in the future.
On the contrary, a anti-AI art stance is a great marketing opportunity: juat by hiring human beings they can be the bespoke artisianal option, same as they currently get some bonus Pooja simply for often printing in the USA.

Remove ads