Rolling Treasure for low CR monsters

Elsairon

First Post
The DB treasure tables are based on levels, I guess using the Encounter Level of the monsters as the value. What about a single monster (for example, 1 orc), that is only 1/3 or 1/2 a CR, and nor even EL 1, (as far as I can tell.)

Is rolling a level one treasure and dividing by 2 or 3 the stand procedure here?

Elsairon

First Post
What I did the first session was not roll treasure for the low CR random encounters, as I figured they left most of thier loot back in the lair.

I may roll up some for room encounters, and give sentient beings a couple golds during a random encounter once in a while (for those that are not leveled)

Flyspeck23

First Post
You could divide the treasure, and if it's gold that shouldn't be a problem. But don't divide the items (if any) ;)

Personally I don't bother with these treasures. The party will be packed with gold and stuff when they leave the dungeon anyway :D

Skarn Rapajya

First Post
Flyspeck23 said:
Personally I don't bother with these treasures. The party will be packed with gold and stuff when they leave the dungeon anyway :D

Ah, but one can never have enough gold. The group I'm going through with right now is level 5, and one of them still hasn't made a single major purchase, yet he has around 6,000 GP

The most he's ever spent is enough to but a Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds. I'm saving up to buy him a suit of Mithral Full Plate. :cool:

Skarn Rapajya

First Post
Another Similar Thought

Flyspeck23 said:
You could divide the treasure, and if it's gold that shouldn't be a problem. But don't divide the items (if any) ;)

Although this issue isn't about fractional CR's, its similar. What do you recommend for situations such as APL 4 Quest Room Encounter #4?

Its a Mummy (CR 5) and a Human Cleric 3, for an EL 6 encounter. The mummy has standard treasure, and the cleric has equipment instead. I've been giving a full EL 6 treasure roll since Mummy Rot is sooo nasty.

(I've come across this encounter three times with the same party. I figure the only reason I've survived it is the Warlock I'm using and his touch attacks.)

Remove ads