Rotunda Revamping

Magi_Nashira

Chaotic Lawkeeper
Hi all,

I'm in the process of cogitating new IC rules for the tavern. It is intended to be the middle setting as far as strictness and I dont feel it is as clear as it should be as it is now. Please feel free to add thoughts and ideas here, no promises they'll get used but I'll certainly consider all things not too absurd.

Meh

First Post
Ill add this, if it is going to be based off of the realm FR and city Waterdeep, why not use the ideas and rules and restrictions for creatures and such there?

Magi_Gabriel

Foppish Technocrat
I believe that is part of Nashira's intent, the problem lying in of course that there are as many different versions of Waterdeep as there are groups who play in the setting. What's considered fair and straight forward by one group may seem wrong to another. Also we don't want to try to force people to keep up with the latest releases on the place simply to play in the room.

One idea that I think might help is we clarify that since it is Waterdeep many diverse magical creatures can be found in the Rotunda from time to time such as centaurs, half-ogres, etc. After all if we were to trust say Wikipedia's Waterdeep entry the list of available races would be thin indeed.

Perhaps a setup categories for common (humans), uncommon (centaurs), frowned up (drow), disguise only races (vampires) with some examples so people can get a better feel for the cosmopolitian feel of the City of Splendors?

Meh

First Post
Well the Book 3.5 Wizards, Waterdeep complete guide is a rather amazing book that even has all the history lords and rulers with the history of them as well.. upto you though.

Wrenbird

First Post
I don't feel Nashira's looking for history so much as suggestions on how to make the Rotunda more desireable to players, and clearer in rules and regulation.

I like Gabriel's suggestion, really. It's simplistic to put everything into categories in that manner, but at the end of the day, it gets the job done. Different types of people are going to react to different types of people, differently - that's true of any city, and especially one as diverse as Waterdeep. Common sense, however, tells us that the basic races are easily welcomed in the 'Deep; weird things - Centaurs, using Gab's example - won't be driven out of town, but a sudden, huge congregation of them is likely to attract a lot of attention; and the Drow (Eilstraee's followers or not) should not be waltzing down the main roads of the 'Deep as often as they can.

The City of Splendors is so typically diverse in most canon that, while it may cause some stares, excitement, and fear, anything that a group of adventurers can barter with and hasn't attempted to raze a Faerunian city in the last hundred years or so may be able to move through the city unmolested. Are things like centaur, Drow, Tieflings, and what have you rare? Excessively. But elsewise.. the City of Splendors has always reminded me, at least, of Sigil... sans good-evil 'neutrality' and with a far, far greater exercise in caution.

Ruthia

First Post
I think the idea of poking around and making a list of Common, Rare, Frowned upon, Disguised only races would be the easiest. I me Personally I like the gambling hall/food room setting. I occasionally go there and post things like

Ruthia wanders in through the gambling area entrance, stopping breifly to obeserve a card game in progress.

Or things like that. The gambling room gives us a steady supply of invisable NPC and background noise for the more "private" talks that some people may be having in that area....

Course, thats just my thoughts

Meh

First Post
Yeah I guess though I can not think of anything more simple then getting the actuall setting book and just using the actual setting rules for a named setting? its all already done for you, but just a suggy.

Wrenbird

First Post
Meh said:
Yeah I guess though I can not think of anything more simple then getting the actuall setting book and just using the actual setting rules for a named setting? its all already done for you, but just a suggy.

I understand what you're saying. But you're asking people to go out and buy said-Setting Book if they don't have it - be it just Nashira, or the whole lot of the Rotunda players. Either way, you're asking someone to drop cash on which there is a wealth of information already out there for free. The complexity of obtaining which isn't very high - it's merely a matter of specifics.

That, and keep in mind that we're not affiliated with Wizards of the Coast anymore. I can imagine a few copyright issues with quoting directly from WotC materials by pulling directly from the books. Paraphrasing or rewording the contents therein is about as complicated as drafting our own thoughts on the City of Splendors.

Babylon Logos

First Post
Wrenbird said:
. . . and the Drow (Eilstraee's followers or not) should not be waltzing down the main roads of the 'Deep as often as they can.

Actually, flashing Eilistraee's symbol in Waterdeep keeps you relitivally safe. It's really only the drow haters that don't know of the dark maiden that you need to worry about. You have to remember, the Temple of Promenade is beneath Waterdeep in Skullport.

Plus, Mystra and Eilistraee have a fairly good relationship. Two of Mystra's chosen reside in Waterdeep, one being a part of the Seven Sisters, and Khelbon Blackstaff, and the duel-chosen (Mystra and Eilistraee) Qulie is just below Waterdeep. The Dark Maiden is quite known in the city, and her priestess' are usually fairly welcome. So long as they dont' pop out of the sewer.

Magi_Nashira

Chaotic Lawkeeper
let me try and clarify a bit as to what sort of suggestions I'm looking for.

The setting itself will remain the Rotunda, I've put far too much blood sweat and tears into it to dump the setting itself within Waterdeep.

I'm looking for thoughts on what people would consider middle of the road between the CRT setting rules and the Market setting rules.

Of course any and every suggestion of all types will be considered but that's the general path I'm looking for right now.

Remove ads