Rotunda Revamping

Babylon Logos

First Post
Well. YOu could go shady, and that. Keep it Realms, but stick the Rotunda in Skullport. Still have access to Waterdeep, but a far more open setting than Waterdeep is. A Zombie could walk down Skullport and hardly be noticed, until it was chewing at someone's arm. Plus it gives everyone a fair chance to play what the want more openly, but not as openly as in Sigil. A Vampire could walk about Skullport and not be messed with until it bit into someone. Or a drow, Cat person, what you will. Plus with no real books detailing Skullport to no end, other than Promenade, we coudl really do whatever we wanted to the city and get away with it. :]

Ruthia

First Post
mmm...well Nash, how about looking at the rules that are the most contested then in the crossroads.

Example, the Familiars/pets rule. Maybe make it so one could bring a familiar/pet with them as long as it was well behaved and didn't wreck things. Or was under a ceratin size..maybe like a medium size dog?

Or the other races rules. Maybe a person with a tail or ears could be allowed in, as long as they were disuised coming to and from the rotunda?

*shrugs..* Just pulling at the rules most grumbled about and making tiny changes..is all

Magi_Gabriel

Foppish Technocrat
Meh said:
Yeah I guess though I can not think of anything more simple then getting the actuall setting book and just using the actual setting rules for a named setting? its all already done for you, but just a suggy.

1. Setting rules for Wizards are never "complete". There will always be supplements, expansions, novels and revisions being released with canon information. Therefore they could contradict anything that is "current" at any given time or create major changes ala when 3E came out. When you're in a gaming group it's easy enough to decide what you want to keep and what you don't, when you're on a big online community it doesn't work so well.

All Magi are volunteers and a good portion of our members are poor students, I'm not going to ask anyone to buy every book that comes out from their own pocket just so they can be informed as to if their character fits or not.

2. Again, we don't a setting where the requirement is that you have to buy a book from Wizards in order to play. We can't legally copy all the information out of the book (that would be copyright infringement) and even if we were still working for Wizards it wouldn't be a smart idea. We've worked hard to keep ISRP an area where you can play without the books if you choose and will keep it that way.

3. This is a community project and the golden rule with gaming groups is to change the material to suit the group. So what is good for the group (ISRP) is more important than what's in the books.

That and we might wanna blow something up later and we don't want to have to worry about explaining to people why everything else follows canon except for the absense of a certain buidling/monument/mage tower. ;)

So please, feel free to pitch rough ideas from the book but understand we are not going to make the setting simple adhere to any published book with the expectation everyone will have read it. It simply wouldn't be fair or workable.

Drina

First Post
what about something like what CRT was back in the days when it was TSR, before Wizards took over. Crossroad Tavern was just that a crossroad of many different worlds and settings. Maybe something along those lines? I know a lot of us "oldies" me included still see CRT as that and it would be nice to have something like that again. but that's just my humble input.....

Meh

First Post
You guys missed the point, you want suggestions on restirctions all I said is, you can look at the book when making them, I mean hell A FROST GIANT is a capt of the guard in waterdeep, they have liches roaming around that reside in towers within the city limits and half drow characters well know averials etc, just saying that, and nothing more, I did not say quote the entire book just look to the setting as a guide, I mean if you can make CRT more explusive to the realm then I assume you might want to do this as well.

I digress.

Magi_Gabriel

Foppish Technocrat
Meh said:
You guys missed the point, you want suggestions on restirctions all I said is, you can look at the book when making them, I mean hell A FROST GIANT is a capt of the guard in waterdeep, they have liches roaming around that reside in towers within the city limits and half drow characters well know averials etc, just saying that, and nothing more, I did not say quote the entire book just look to the setting as a guide, I mean if you can make CRT more explusive to the realm then I assume you might want to do this as well.

I digress.

No the point was not missed, it was explained that saying use the book is not terribly helpful as we do not intend to requote the book or make people purchase the book, therefore you can post ideas from the book however there is no guarantee they will be kept or not.

So, as above, if you have ideas from the book, feel free to post them as ideas. Don't simply keep saying "use the book" because that is not helpful in the least.

Drina

First Post
Meh we aren't missing the point. Nash asked for suggestions so we are giving them to her. She wants to make the Rotunda a room that more people will use. I don't recall seeing where she said it was to be strictly the Realms setting. But no matter what changes are made not everyone will be happy.
Its not as easy as you think to just follow the rules from the Realms book, as not everyone who plays the Realms even follow every rule, and I for one won't go out and spend 40 bucks on the book. Heck my group is just starting to covert over to 3.5, we've been playing 2nd ed since we never cared for 3rd when it first came out. So as you can see not everyone likes change :p

Imreis

First Post
i agree with the familiars or small pets idea, though in D&D terms i dont think they should exceed Small size category. that would allow for nearly all the D&D base familars shown in the Players Handbook.
Next, i do not think children should be allowed at all, why would a child be in a tavern let alone a gambling house unattended?
Small physical traits like funky animal ears or a tail, fangs, small horns not giant Minator ones), hooves and the like shouldnt be a problem though i do think the player should expect a fair ammount of teasing from it since it isnt a normal trait unless your a prestige class from the Masters Of the Wild book, wings for me are a touchy subjet since id think most winged creatures wouldnt like enclosed spaces very much. Though if that rule should be inforced still that they are not alloud i think that animal stripes or spots on your body should also be band unless there tattoos.
As to Vampires, i agree they shouldnt be flaunted openly since thats a bad idea in general. Drow..well i cant say much since i do have one as a character, even though he is good aligned id expect people to not take kindly to him anyways. i think if the player wants to openly be one more power to you but dont whine when people try to chase you out. unless your in the Underdark people just dont like you or trust you.
Ah Dragons, hey i can see a dragon wanting to sneak in and watch mortals and see what the rumors are since a few breeds are partiularly social in nature though any of the Chromatic dragons are by there very nature vile and evil and even then any dragon in disgues is in one for a reason. that rule should stick by all means.
As for lycanthropes, there is no reason to openly let everyone know you are one, it is a disease and by all rights should call down the wraith of town folk, though under full moons once cant help it and whould not a were-creature want to hide on those nights? please keep this rule.
Lastly, Fae. i love them and think they add alot of spice to a place if a little pixie was to wander its way in to pester or pilfer from unexpecting people. id like it if they could actually come in unhindered but expect to be chased off.

Babylon Logos

First Post
Imreis said:
openly be one more power to you but dont whine when people try to chase you out. unless your in the Underdark people just dont like you or trust you.

Technically, they aren't trusted or liked in the Underdark either.

Imreis

First Post
*grins* ofcourse, not even the Drow trust Drow, but that wasnt my point either. My point was to try and give some ideas for Nashira to go off of. Which im hoping will create some ideas for her.

Remove ads