Round Two: Another 10 old school modules I'm considering!

Which of the following modules are worth buying?

• A1-4 Scourge of Slave Lords

Votes: 49 59.0%
  • B7 Rahasia

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • CM2 Death's Ride

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • G1-2-3 Against the Giants

Votes: 58 69.9%
  • I3-5 Desert of Desolation

Votes: 55 66.3%
  • I12 Egg of the Phoenix

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

Votes: 52 62.7%
  • UK1 Beyond the Crystal Cave

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Votes: 42 50.6%
  • XS2 Thunderdelve Mountain

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Poll closed .

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM

Celebrim

Legend
1) All old-school modules feature dated encounter design. That's part of their charm, and their frustrations. If KF doesn't want to deal with that issue, he should avoid old school modules.

Yes, that's somewhat true, but it's also true that some modules feel much more dated than others. A module like B1: Keep on the Borderlands or the G series seems very primitive by modern standards. Examing the modules, you have to ask, 'What's the hook?', 'Where is the originality?', 'Where is the encounter diversity?' They aren't the sort of modules that you could get published in Dungeon.

By contrast, a module like UK1: Beyond the Crystal Cave seems almost modern in design and would be publishable in a modern setting with not too much adaptation.

A module like WG4 if updated retains its 'old school' character, but unlike B2 or G1 still presents an interesting environment with varied encounters and old school puzzles, traps, and wierdness.

2) Something like U1 is very easy to fit into a campaign. Low level, localized, minimal assumptions about the campaign world. And never underestimate the power of a good twist. The module needs to be improved and fleshed out, but it has a solid framework to a memorable adventure.

Sure, but if I were to redo the module I'm not sure how much of it would remain beyond the basic plot.

armorclass10

First Post
I like G1-2-3, and Egg of the Phoenix is decent plus it's packed with material, lots of mileage in that one. I'm going to run A1-4 again soon too, it's a good one IMO as is Desert of Desolation. Those would be my votes.

Spatula

Explorer
It's been probably over 20 years since I've read A1-4, so my memory could be fuzzy. The first 2 adventures aren't anything out of the ordinary, but it gets railroad-y with A3 (the players are meant to lose the fight against the slavelords so that they can start off A4 in chains). The slavelords terrorize a coastal region, and are based out of an evil city set on a small island, which may or may not work in your campaign world.

Last edited:

Festivus

First Post
I'm not a big fan of G1-2-3. There isn't much to them except some massive fights. I think any decent modern DM ought to be able to do as well.

Agreed. I, however, really enjoyed U1, but not U2 and U3 (very linear). I totally missed that I3 series was on the list... that would get my vote as well, moreso than U1.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
It's been probably over 20 years since I've read A1-4, so my memory could be fuzzy. The first 2 adventures aren't anything out of the ordinary, but it gets railroad-y with A3 (the players are meant to lose the fight against the slavelords so that they can start off A4 in chains). The slavelords terrorize a coastal region, and are based out of an evil city set on a small island, which may or may not work in your campaign world.
I have the 2nd Edition sequel to A1-4, so that's why I put it on the list.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Regarding Desert of Desolation:

Well, my main campaign region (i.e. continent) does have a large desert available. It's main inhabitants are nomadic clans of desert elves. Still, I'm hesitant to use an iconic desert supermodule within that desert since it's not a HUGE desert.

However, I could always set it on one of my other continents. ;)

Note that if you work tha story as it has been designed the desert will be reverted to its former green state. Not that it happens overnight, but things are set in motion.

Regarding U1-U3:

I don't see those adventures as more railroady than others. In the Haunted House characters have only to discover the connection to the ship, on the ship they have to see the lizard man. In U2 things get a bit more complicated as the players have to recognize the lizard men as possible allies against the greater thread of the sahuagin. Apart from these points, the players have pretty much free reign.

IMHO only U3 with its infiltration of a under-water fortress has a continuity problem: The characters should really report their findings to the authorities and be done with it.

Celebrim

Legend
I don't see those adventures as more railroady than others. In the Haunted House characters have only to discover the connection to the ship, on the ship they have to see the lizard man. In U2 things get a bit more complicated as the players have to recognize the lizard men as possible allies against the greater thread of the sahuagin. Apart from these points, the players have pretty much free reign.

The general flow of events for U1 is pretty straight forward. I don't have a problem with it.

In U2 though, things get to be a problem. The 'plot', such as it is, assumes that the PC's will initially begin by killing Lizard Men on sight while making no attempt to communicate with them, then after a sufficient number of interesting fights have occurred, have a change of heart. If the players don't cooperate - and to me it seems more likely that they won't than will - then the module faces some very clear problems, which the author in fact realizes and tries to address. For example, if the PC's decide to attempt to communicate or negotiate from the onset, then the entire module is reduced to a very small number of encounters and most of the text - which depends on assaulting the lair - is a waste. A novice DM risks having the entire adventure over in the first hour or so, probably with the outcome of PC's that have progressed few or no levels.

Alternatively, if the PC's kill intentionally or by accident one or two key NPC's, which seems all too likely unless the DM gives them plot protection, then its all too likely that the entire tribe will get slaughtered and the DM is going to have to work pretty hard to get the plot back on the railroad.

Remove ads