Round Two: Another 10 old school modules I'm considering!

Which of the following modules are worth buying?

• A1-4 Scourge of Slave Lords

Votes: 49 59.0%
  • B7 Rahasia

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • CM2 Death's Ride

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • G1-2-3 Against the Giants

Votes: 58 69.9%
  • I3-5 Desert of Desolation

Votes: 55 66.3%
  • I12 Egg of the Phoenix

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

Votes: 52 62.7%
  • UK1 Beyond the Crystal Cave

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Votes: 42 50.6%
  • XS2 Thunderdelve Mountain

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Poll closed .

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Hmm... :hmm:

B7 is getting more votes than I thought it would. It was the throw-in module for this poll. I guess I should find out a little more about that one.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
A lot of good stuff up there. But I do want to single out WG4, really has three parts: the wilderness, the fun monster bash in the easy to find part of the temple, and then the really good and deadly stuff in the not so easy to find part.

And, as noted in the other thread, it is made to go with S4, though the styles are different.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
. . . I do want to single out WG4, really has three parts: the wilderness, the fun monster bash in the easy to find part of the temple, and then the really good and deadly stuff in the not so easy to find part.
WG4 really does sound like something I might want to consider picking up. I think it's top on my list so far.

Celebrim

Legend
WG4 really does sound like something I might want to consider picking up. I think it's top on my list so far.

WG4 is really interesting reading and worth it if only for the really interesting Tharizun lore at the bottom. It was one of the three I voted for.

I3, I4, and I5 was the second of my votes. I would recommend trying to get these as separate modules rather than in the collected mini-campaign format. There is general agreement that the fleshed out version doesn't help much, but in all fairness, that could simply be nostalgia on the part of people familiar with the originals.

My third vote is (not surprisingly to me) not getting much attention, which is UK1 'Beyond the Crystal Cave'. Of all the less well known modules on your list, this would be far and away my recommendation for one to pick up. Most of the modules on your list will seem pretty primitive. G1-3 and A1-4 in particular are nothing spectacular by modern standards and I doubt you could get them published today. But UK1 represents a radical departure from 'old school' design in that the majority of encounters are (potentially) non-combat, and the focus of the module is on story-telling, role-playing, and problem solving. Potentially, this is a module that could be played through by a very low level party and its certainly highly adaptable to a wide range of play levels from an introductory module to a party of epic level.

Rhun

First Post
It's been probably over 20 years since I've read A1-4, so my memory could be fuzzy. The first 2 adventures aren't anything out of the ordinary, but it gets railroad-y with A3 (the players are meant to lose the fight against the slavelords so that they can start off A4 in chains).

Personally, I love A1-4, especially after they are put together in Scourge of the Slave Lords. There is ample opportunity for Roleplaying, as well as lots of opportunities for combat. While I agree that the very end of A3 railroads the PCs for the start of A4, I've never really had any players have issue with it.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
UPDATE!

I just got back from WK. I took the plunge and bought N1 and WG4. The prices of the two modules together was more than worth it -- CAN $26.25 (US $20.83). :D

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
FYI 2... Whyte Knight also had CM2, G1-2-3, U1, and UK1 from my list. The copies of the G supermodule weren't in very good condition so I had to pass on that one.

I was sure (the last time) that there were copies of A1-4 and I3-5 in the store. I must not have looked close enough. :confused:

Oh yes, there was also a copy of the supermodule, B1-9 In Search of Adventure. I might be considering that one. ;)

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
NEW QUERY: What can people tell me about the rest of the CM module series? Specifically, CM5 "Mystery of the Snow Pearls" and CM9 "Legacy of Blood." (WK has those two for sure!)

Last edited:

Remove ads