Round Two: Another 10 old school modules I'm considering!

Which of the following modules are worth buying?

• A1-4 Scourge of Slave Lords

Votes: 49 59.0%
  • B7 Rahasia

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • CM2 Death's Ride

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • G1-2-3 Against the Giants

Votes: 58 69.9%
  • I3-5 Desert of Desolation

Votes: 55 66.3%
  • I12 Egg of the Phoenix

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

Votes: 52 62.7%
  • UK1 Beyond the Crystal Cave

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Votes: 42 50.6%
  • XS2 Thunderdelve Mountain

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Poll closed .

Celebrim

Legend
CM3 - Saber River by Douglas Niles is a quite good module IMO.

I don't really know anything about the rest of the series.

CM5 is a solo module.

CM3 - Saber River by Douglas Niles is a quite good module IMO.

I don't really know anything about the rest of the series.

CM5 is a solo module.
CM1 Test of the Warlords is awesome, but is like a Birthright adventure. It also requires a large stretch of frontier and two competing empires trying to settle it. I sold it on eBay with the rest of my BECMI stuff. I don't miss most of it, but I should never have let that module go.

CM3 Sabre River is completely different, and never appealed to me. I wanted it to be more like CM1, whereas instead its pretty much the same adventure we did to death at Basic / Expert level, just scaled up a bit (ok, scaled up a lot!) Travel to the dragon's lair, kill the dragon. The dragon's treasure hoard was wonderful, however.

I should point out that I've never run any Companion level adventures, so these are only my impressions after reading the modules.

Celebrim

Legend
CM1 Test of the Warlords is awesome, but is like a Birthright adventure. It also requires a large stretch of frontier and two competing empires trying to settle it. I sold it on eBay with the rest of my BECMI stuff. I don't miss most of it, but I should never have let that module go.

I've never ran or played it, but my impression of CM1 is that it could be fun in the hands of a very good DM who is capable of inventing alot of details. To me CM1 isn't really a module, it's just a campaign sketch. To make it interesting, I think you'd have to be willing to put in a ton of work to flesh out the events and locations.

CM3 Sabre River is completely different, and never appealed to me. I wanted it to be more like CM1, whereas instead its pretty much the same adventure we did to death at Basic / Expert level, just scaled up a bit (ok, scaled up a lot!) Travel to the dragon's lair, kill the dragon. The dragon's treasure hoard was wonderful, however.

I have played Sabre River and enjoyed it very much. It too depends on having a good DM, but I don't think its nearly as demanding of a module as CM1 and in particular I think you can run CM3 'out of the box' without alot of prep time and additions. Sure, it probably would help to expand the dungeons to make them less linear, if the PC's were into dungeon crawling, or to flesh out the setting if the PC's are in to RPing, but none of that is strictly necessary. In fact, CM3 is a great example of the sort of event that might play out within a campaign using the CM1 framework. As far as I know, that is precisely what all or most of the companion modules that follow CM1 are intended to be - on going events within the two or three year long 'Test of the Warlords' campaign.

Remove ads