RPG Crowdfunding News – Tales of the Valiant, Girl by Moonlight, and more

Tales of the Valiant, Level Up! Advanced Fifth Edition, and C7d20 are leading to OGL-free 5e content

This week’s article covers RPG crowdfunding projects that end between June 15 to 25. Lots of new content including Tales of the Valiant, the book that, along with Level Up! Advanced Fifth Edition and C7d20, are leading to OGL-free 5e content. We’re dubbing these 5EC as a shorthand category for original RPGs that are 5e compatible. That designation comes from EN World editor, Mike "Talien" Tresca. We’ll report on more 5EC systems as they roll out.

Tales of the Valiant RPG- Launching Black Flag Roleplaying.jpg

Tales of the Valiant RPG: Launching Black Flag Roleplaying from Kobold Press
  • END DATE: Fri, June 23 2023 7:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): 5EC (Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition compatible rules variant)
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $99 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of both books in a slipcase
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Kobold Press’ Project Black Flag has an official name – Tales of the Valiant (ToV) – and a Kickstarter that is easily going to become a million dollar campaign. Designed in answer to Wizards of the Coast’s OGL crisis, this project is a Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition variant that is compatible with 5e, but OGL free and its own core rulebook, or 5EC. What do you get with this campaign? A ruleset that is 5e, but offers a few twists like the Mechanist class, kobolds as a lineage, and the option to create your own content based on their version of the rules. This campaign leads with two books, Tales of the Valiant Player's Guide and the Monster Vault. Another exciting option is the $25 adventure pack with ToV adventures from Ghostfire Gaming, Frog God Games, Lazy Wolf Studios, Necromancer Games, The Vineyard, and The Word Refinery (whose ToV-compatible setting Kickstarter ends soon). If a familiar, new ruleset interests you, check out this campaign page.

Girl by Moonlight.jpg

Girl by Moonlight from Evil Hat Productions
  • END DATE: Jun 22, 2023 at 11:00pm EDT.
  • CROWDFUNDING ON: Backerkit
  • SYSTEM(S): Forged in the Dark
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $65 + S/H for the PDF, POD discounted coupon, and print versions of the core rulebook, the Roll20 versions, and more
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? 224 pages of magical girls fighting for who they are, believing in their true self, and battling an oppressive world. Inspired by Sailor Moon, Steven Universe, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Blades in the Dark, and The Vision of Escaflowne, this RPG has four jumpstart settings to let you try something more like each of those worlds. This is going to speak to fans of those properties that like magical girls, mechs, anime and animation, and Forged in the Dark RPGs. If you’re interested, check out the campaign page on Backerkit to get links to a free PDF sample as well as the Roll20 quickstart.
Broken Tales- Lost Stories.jpg

Broken Tales: Lost Stories from The World Anvil Publishing
  • END DATE: Wed, June 21 2023 10:58 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: €83 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book, the GM screen, dice, and more
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Turn fairy tales upside-down. In 18th century Europe, you’re agents of the Order assigned by the Papacy to deal with a world where fairy tales are darker than the Brothers Grimm ever imagined. This campaign offers a reissue of the core rulebook with classes, enemies, Rome, and so much more. The Broken Ones expansion gives you new character options, new rulesets for solo and OSR options, and adventures to delve into. There’s a GM screen and dice, making this a one stop shop for everything you’ll need to see so much of the Disney source material in a new light. Check the campaign page for a link to a free quickstart preview of the system.

Deck of Player Safety.jpg

Deck of Player Safety from Tom Nelson
  • END DATE: Thu, June 15 2023 11:20 AM EDT.
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG accessory
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $12 + S/H for the deck.
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This is a player safety tool that allows each gamer to express any hot button topics before game play and offers some additional safety options like the X-Card. The novel part of this is, each player gets to pull the cards that concern them and all are handed in face down to the GM. The GM shuffles and reviews the cards, insuring they don’t know who is making the request so they aren’t acting on any preconceived notions. It’s simple, each to read, and well thought out. If you need a safety tool, this is worth considering.

Madinat Al'Asrar -- The City of Portals.jpg

Madinat Al'Asrar -- The City of Portals from Brian C
  • END DATE: Wed, June 21 2023 11:48 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition and Old-School Essential
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $50 + S/H for the book with maps and NPCs
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This book offers a setting and campaign that covers 1st to 7th levels. This is a city-state on a collection of atolls. Connected by bridges and portals, this campaign’s secret sauce are those portals. In play, your characters will use those portals for a variety of adventures. The crunch is done in 5e and OSE so you can choose your system.

They Came From the RPG Anthology! Tabletop Roleplaying Game.jpg

They Came From the RPG Anthology! Tabletop Roleplaying Game from Onyx Path Publishing
  • END DATE: Thu, June 22 2023 2:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Storypath System
  • PROJECT TYPE: Adventures
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $25 for the PDF and POD discount version of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Do you need new setting options for your They Came From… games? This book offers a variety pack including Western, Noir, Bridgerton, Space Opera, and more. If you’re a fan of the Storypath System and want RPGs set in some less common locations, this book gives you a broad sampling to consider. While many of the setting have been pre-selected, some will be voted on by the Kickstarter backers, allowing for a customized experience. If you want to help influence this anthology, check out the campaign page for more details.

The Dark Glinting with Metal - MÖRK BORG by Brian Evenson.jpg

The Dark Glinting with Metal - MÖRK BORG by Brian Evenson from Severed Books
  • END DATE: Sun, June 25 2023 10:59 AM EDT.​
  • SYSTEM(S): MÖRK BORG
  • PROJECT TYPE: Adventure​
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $69 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the boxed set, core rulebook, GM screen, and d2 coin​
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Author Brian Evenson (B. K. Evenson) teams with illustrator Justin Sirois to bring players into a new world of darkness, one overrun with horrors in this MÖRK BORG adventure and setting. 120 pages of adventures, encounters, and doom awaits your gaming table. If you’re a fan of Evenson, Sirois’ art, and MÖRK BORG, this is worth checking out.​

ASSIGNMENT- DANGER!.jpg

ASSIGNMENT: DANGER! from Hounds & Jackals - Games & Magic
  • END DATE: Sun, June 25 2023 4:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): EZD6
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: CA$14 for the PDF and POD discount coupon for the core rulebook
  • AI ART STATEMENT: “Help support human artists: due to so many people in the community stating they want humans to do the art versus AI, we would like to raise some money to pay human artists and make this offering as visually pleasing to backers as possible!”
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Need 1960s and 1970s spy-danger adventures for your gaming table? Want an easy to learn d6 system? This RPG promises action-adventure roleplaying options. What I like about this is that the spy options aren’t limited to TV/movie humans, but expanded to include psionics, cyborgs, and more optional content. If you want that kind of spy story, this RPG supports it. If you’re interested in a broad RPG option, this may be right for you.

Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, Noble Knight Games’ Affiliate Program, and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG, Noble Knight Games, and Amazon.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

I can't decided on the Tails of the Valiant. I don't really feel a need for another 5e variant that is this close to the WotC version. I would still have to implement all the house-rules we already use and I haven't seen anything that adds value for me. I don't think I will back the kickstarter, but I may pick the Monster Vault wants it is published.

If I was playing D&D 5E I'd get the Player's Guide PDF for the mechanist class and beastkin lineage.

I do appreciate that for those buying both books that they knocked $19 off the combined price. Along with free PDFs to go with the paper.

Jackal_of_Tindalos

Hounds & Jackals
Thanks for kindly brining attention to ASSIGNMENT: DANGER! I am very honoured!

Since you mentioned the beyond human aspect is your cup of tea as well... one scenario brings in a tribute to the show Ultraviolet from the BBC ... EZD6 from DM Scotty is so cool for allowing Gonzo options that flow together ;)

code 5.png

Last edited:

Sounds like somebody needs to compare / contrast the various flavors of 5E. WotC, A5E, Tales of the Valiant, etc. Might be nice to know what each offers and how compatible they are. Without buying all of them :D

Black Lantern

Villager
Hello Egg,
You missed Soulmist Unspoken Tales which is live on KS too.
We had the "fortune" to launch between Tales of the Valiant and Gloomheaven so we disappeared.
Cheers,

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
7500 backers for Tales of the Valiant is pretty good. The key is that is 5e compatible and more are apt to play it, whereas as 7th sea, another million dollar Kickstarter was a goner a year or so after it delivered the books cause it didn’t have the fan base to keep it afloat. I may do like Dave and check out the monster stuff and see how it compares and how I like it.

... whereas as 7th sea ... was a goner a year or so after it delivered the books cause it didn’t have the fan base to keep it afloat.
EthanSental, I SEA what you did there! :p
Seriously, I feel 7th Sea may have a second life as it nears the end of its KS delivery cycle and they can refocus on new products.
Tales of the Valiant has a lot of potential. As with the other 5EC RPGs like Advanced Fifth Edition and C7d20, it gets the best of both worlds, known mechanics with original twists. :)

Hello Egg,
You missed Soulmist Unspoken Tales which is live on KS too.
We had the "fortune" to launch between Tales of the Valiant and Gloomheaven so we disappeared.
Cheers,
Hello Black Lantern,
I'm sorry I couldn't include your project. I wish I had more space and could cover all RPGs. :-(
Soulmist : Unspoken Tales
"A book of dark and unforgiving adventures inside the heart of Erebos, for 5e."

Sounds like somebody needs to compare / contrast the various flavors of 5E. WotC, A5E, Tales of the Valiant, etc. Might be nice to know what each offers and how compatible they are. Without buying all of them :D
That sounds like a beast of an article. I have no doubt that when ToV and C7d20 drop, that type of article will appear.

Marc Radle

Legend
I can't decided on the Tails of the Valiant. I don't really feel a need for another 5e variant that is this close to the WotC version. I would still have to implement all the house-rules we already use and I haven't seen anything that adds value for me. I don't think I will back the kickstarter, but I may pick the Monster Vault wants it is published.
I think once folks see the final products, they will see that, while ToV is certainly based on (and compatible with) 5E, there will be plenty of cool and interesting changes to make it feel like a familiar but different game :)

It’s a balancing act to be sure, but it’s one that the Kobolds are working on EXTREMELY hard to get right!

Remove ads

Remove ads