RPG Crowdfunding News 036a – The Sound of Music Special Edition: Numenera Audio Collection, Deep Mad

There are dozens of roleplaying game crowdfunding campaigns vying for your backing at any given time. In our weekly column we highlight some of these but there are many more that we sadly don’t have space to include. Well, not unless we want a *very* long column for you all to scroll through! Sometimes we see a number of campaigns appear offering a similar theme or item. With this in mind welcome to the Sound of Music Special Edition, where we look at three RPG audio campaigns currently available on Kickstarter.

There are dozens of roleplaying game crowdfunding campaigns vying for your backing at any given time. In our weekly column we highlight some of these but there are many more that we sadly don’t have space to include. Well, not unless we want a *very* long column for you all to scroll through! Sometimes we see a number of campaigns appear offering a similar theme or item. With this in mind welcome to the Sound of Music Special Edition, where we look at three RPG audio campaigns currently available on Kickstarter.

[h=3]Numenera Audio Collection from Plate Mail Games by Wes Otis[/h]
(Campaign Ends : Wednesday 1st March 2017; 01:00 UTC)

Wes Otis has run a number of campaigns creating background and mood music for roleplaying games. Looking at my iTunes I have over 16 hours worth of his compositions gracing my playlists. He has teamed up with Monte Cook Games to create 120 tracks inspired by a number of Numenera books (Numenera Core Book, Numenera Guide Book, Into the Deep, Into the Night, Torment: Tides of Numenera The Explorer’s Guide Book and Into the Outside)

The main collection will have 80 tracks, with 40 tracks of stretch goals available to unlock. The first four books on the above list will have 20 locations per book, giving GMs a wide variety of audio tracks to use in their games.

Torment, Tides of Numenera The Explorer’s Guide Book has our first set of 20 stretch goals. Then we start unlocking Into the Outside, the newest book from Monte Cook Games.

Each track is 10 minute long background location that loops. EWhen you are preparing for your adventure, you can create a playlist on your favourite audio software that plays MP3s, such as iTunes. When the group reaches the location in the game, you start the track on repeat and play out the scene there. The tracks add depth to the story without distracting from it. Then, when the players move on, you move to the next location track.

[h=3]DEEP MADNESS Horror Soundscapes by Darkraven Europe by Ruby Nile Games[/h]
(Campaign Ends : Thursday 2nd March 2017; 21:36 UTC)

Darkraven are another company that I’ve brought from in the past. I have a variety of their fantasy and horror themed tracks sitting on my playlists. Deep Madness is another voyage into the Cthulhu Mythos for them. For only a single dollar every backer will get a 38 minute track (Cthulhu I) as well as an eight track sampler selected from their 70+ hour collection of audio.

Darkraven are another successful veteran of crowdfunding, with over a dozen campaigns behind them. Deep Madness is a 120 minute epic environmental soundtrack that will “bring your deep sea adventures to life in an escalating Lovecraftian spiral of tension, madness, horror and insanity.” It is also a limited edition track exclusive only to this Kickstarter campaign… so if you want it, go and back it!

The higher your backer pledge the more music you get. It’s $16+ for the Deep Madness track (plus the 38 minute Cthulhu I and 2 hour 8 track sampler). $29 adds an extra eight tracks of “all new deep sea facility room environment tracks in both Normal and “Devoured/Mad” states (sixteen 15 tracks total!) plus a special version of the 120 minute “Epic Deep Madness” track which features the 80+ minutes of Hollywood level music from our “Return of the One Ones” to turn your deep sea horror experience up to an out of this world Eleven.” Pledge levels go all the way up to $499 which will get your every sound product they have created to date, plus every sound product they produce up until December 31st 2017.

[h=3]Make 100: Background Music for 5E Character Backgrounds by Michael Andrew Plait[/h]
(Campaign Ends : Saturday 25th February 2017; 13:44 UTC)

Aiming for an altogether smaller budget is Andrew Plait’s campaign to create 13 tracks inspired by the character backgrounds listed in the D&D 5E Player’s Handbook. Whilst Andrew doesn’t supply any samples of the tracks in question he has uploaded previous work he’s composed. With an initial goal of only CA$3 – and the sole pledge level at CA$3 – this was very easily funded. It’s also limited to only 100 backers as part of Kickstarters ‘Make 100’ promotion.

“I’ve hosted games both with and without music, but have found the atmosphere to be most realistic when music is present. Whether characters are exploring an area, speaking with a NPC of fighting for their lives, music has always enhanced the experience. My goal is to create music that DM’s/GM’s everywhere can use in their tabletop experiences.”

The following character backgrounds will be getting their own tracks: Acolyte, Charlatan, Criminal, Entertainer, Folk Hero, Guild Artisan, Hermit, Noble, Outlander, Sage, Sailor, Soldier, and Urchin.

If you like what we do here at EN World (the Forums, Columns, News, ENnies, etc) and would like to help support us to bring you MORE please consider supporting our Patreon. Even a single dollar helps Thanks!

If you have a forthcoming Kickstarter, or see one that excites you, please feel free to drop me an email on angus.abranson@gmail.com You can follow me on Twitter @ Angus_A or on Facebook where I often post about gaming.

Happy gaming!

Angus Abranson

Remove ads

Remove ads