• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rule of Three 4/4/11

Riastlin

First Post
New Rule of Three is up and can be found here: Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (Rule-of-Three: 04/04/2011)

Interesting answer regarding Essentials Paragon Paths and EDs. Does this mean that e-classes can take PPs and EDs otherwise available to any of the PHB classes of the same group (i.e. can Knights take Fighter PPs?)

I also actually kind of like the poll question this time. Gives a decent variety of possible choices.

Incenjucar

Legend
It's a good poll, especially with that catch-all slot - I wish I had an answer for it but I never use canned adventures. :p

Essentials classes have always been able to take PPs and EDs from their linked "overclass" concept.

Aegeri

First Post
New Rule of Three is up and can be found here: Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (Rule-of-Three: 04/04/2011)

Interesting answer regarding Essentials Paragon Paths and EDs. Does this mean that e-classes can take PPs and EDs otherwise available to any of the PHB classes of the same group (i.e. can Knights take Fighter PPs?)

Yes. They always have been able to do so, though they can in fact end up not getting a lot of benefit out of it. For example Pit Fighter does very little for a slayer, because the bonus damage no longer applies to MBAs (it's widely thought some of the errata to Pit Fighter and Daggermaster was done to curb some essentials classes power taking these).

It really should be emphasized more that if you're an essentials class, like a Mage, you can take anything that a wizard can legally take. So long as you meet the prerequisites, like you actually do get an encounter power at that level (which martial classes like the scout/slayer obviously don't). Nothing stops them from taking any fighter or general or whatever PP/ED though. It's just set up the way it is in the book for simplicity.

Does this mean that e-classes can take PPs and EDs otherwise available to any of the PHB classes of the same group (i.e. can Knights take Fighter PPs?)

They've always been able to take any PPs they meet the prerequisites for, since the e-builds are all builds in the original Pre-Essential classes. Most of the Essentials Paragon Paths are restricted to the e-builds though.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Am I the only one who finds the Rule of Three very wishy washy on some on their answers? I mean, if you're going to be that wishy washy, don't answer the question because hey, guess what, you, yeah, that's right, didn't answer the question.

Well, that question can be looked at this way, but did you know it could also be looked at this way? Fascinating yes?

WTF?

Aegeri

First Post
The third question was answered like that, but the first was pretty damn definitive. I mean if effectively saying "Yes, they actually can do that" is wishy washy then I don't know what wouldn't be.

Tony Vargas

Legend
There's never been any indication that E-classes couldn't take PPs or EDs that required their parent class as a preq. A /feature/ of their parent class as a preq could prevent it, though. Like if a Fighter PP said 'Combat Challenge Class Feature' or a Wizard PP said 'Wand of Accuracy Implement Mastery,' Knights and Mages couldn't take them.

There may well be issues, though, where a PP power or feature is worthless to an Essentials Class. It's mostly a problem with the Martial Classes (of course). A PP might give you a utility that says 'you can recover a (Class) encounter attack power.' Well, as an E-martial class, you have no encounter attack powers, so the utility does nothing.

jbear

First Post
The third presents two ways of looking at it, but then it's followed by a poll regarding that same issue, I guess so they can make an informed decision on which tact to take regarding adventures.

I don't think it's wishy washy, I think the answer is: We'd like to et your opinion on how we should approach this.

Riastlin

First Post
Hey all thanks for the replies. For some reason I thought the CB (not that its exactly official) prevented me from choosing any other PP, so I just kinda assumed that was how they were set up. Of course, I have neither of the Essentials books, so was just going off of that. In any event, good to hear.

Remove ads