• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rule of Three and THEMES! FINALLY THEMES!!!!

Wow, what?

Just because you feel like it was a more valuable use of Disruptive Strike (et al) to wait until it saves someone who's near death doesn't actually make it more valuable.

Edric the Clueless Cleric: "Hey Bob the Strong Fighter, has 5 hit points left, and Jimbo the Cunning Rogue has 35. Who should I heal?"
Zonian the Smart Wizard: "It doesn't matter who you heal! You'll give both the same number of hit points!"
Weak Kobold Minion": Yeah, I stab Bob for 6 damage! He's out!"
Bob the Strong Fighter: "Aaargh"
Jimbo the Cunning Rogue: *facepalm* One day, I want to work with real professionals.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Indeed. I wasn't aware that Resilient Focus exists. After looking it up I know why: It's an Essentials feat which aren't allowed in our game.

Which reminds me: When will the Online Builder get the ability to filter sources back? Saving campaign settings was such a brilliant and important feature of the old Character Builder!

A lot of the Essentials feats are just plain better than older ones.

We do not use them either.

Nullzone

Explorer
Edric the Clueless Cleric: "Hey Bob the Strong Fighter, has 5 hit points left, and Jimbo the Cunning Rogue has 35. Who should I heal?"
Zonian the Smart Wizard: "It doesn't matter who you heal! You'll give both the same number of hit points!"
Weak Kobold Minion": Yeah, I stab Bob for 6 damage! He's out!"
Bob the Strong Fighter: "Aaargh"
Jimbo the Cunning Rogue: *facepalm* One day, I want to work with real professionals.

Nice strawman, but that isn't the same thing. HP recovered and damage prevented occupy two different spaces in the absolute economy of the party, though I can understand how some might think otherwise.

WalterKovacs

First Post
Nice strawman, but that isn't the same thing. HP recovered and damage prevented occupy two different spaces in the absolute economy of the party, though I can understand how some might think otherwise.

In the previous example, saving the fighter via damage prevention would have been better earlier, since they'd get more hp benefit. Saving, for example, 10hp, the fighter would be at 15 and go down to 9 when hit, instead of being at 6hp and staying there.

However, if the power was used to protect the rogue, it wouldn't have been used on the fighter, who ended up taking enough damage to drop him.

That's the basic argument ... when used early, it's harder to know if it will matter in the long run. You may have prevented someone needing to spend a surge after the encounter is over, but preventing someone from dropping (or becoming bloodied) can have a more substantial "in" encounter effect.

Then again, if the attack does something else on a hit (immobilize, stun, daze, etc) it is probably worth making it hit regardless of how much damage it is going to do (unless it's say, a warden, who will easily shake off the condition compared to someone else that may also be hit with the same attack).

Maybe I shouldn't have used a verbose example and tried to generalize more:

At the start of combat, when no one is injured, and not all enemies are in place - who do you think will need saving most?

It's simple - you don't know it.

You do not know who will take the most hits. You might negate damage dealt to the Rogue, but it turns out the enemy will be attacking the wizard most of the time, and so that 10 damage the Rogue has will be all damage he ever takes that combat. While the Wizard could have used another 10 hit points to spend his second wind on the next turn.

renau1g

First Post
One would presume if the defender is doing their job, they would be the target of more attacks and thus more likely to get hit.

twilsemail

First Post
One would presume if the defender is doing their job, they would be the target of more attacks and thus more likely to get hit.

Alternately, if the Defender is doing his job, the enemies are taking damage due to ignoring a mark (or being generally less effective) and dealing less damage in the long run due to a case of the deads. There are at least two schools of defending out there, usually mandated by the DM, not the player.

I can give you a real example of both healing word and disrupting shot fail...

round 1 the rouge gets crit... for a little over his healing surge value... the ranger uses dirupting :):):):) to increase his DPR... and is 1 pt from turning it into a noncrit....then the cleric with super healing (passafist bonus, maxed wis, amulat, weapon, and armor giving bonuses...and gloves giving bonus d6) and did almost his bloodied value (way over full).... round 2 the same monster hits the wizard... doing less then his surge value... and the cleric gives him a healing word...

round 4 or 5 the Warden is at 3hp (cleric out of encounter heals, and not in range for his touch daily heal) she has ongoing 10, and ongoing 8 necrotic.... and the elite monster hits her by 1...everyone is looking for a way to protect her... but no, then I max damage... brining her down... before the cleric goes the warden starts unconsius in an aura of damage... makes 2 saves (font of life) fails both... then takes more damage, and was 1 or 2 pts from dead...

on the clerics turn he has to 'run' to get to the warden... witch means granting combat advantage for the 2 opp attacks for the movement... the first of witch was a nat 20 so no big deal... but the second one only hit becuse of the CA... witch droped the cleric... so on her next turn the warden died...

to this day she says she was killed by bad tactics

Remove ads