Rules/Crunch of Eyros

Andor

First Post
I hadn't thought of the Kohl'Tass as really a level 1 available PC race, that kinda takes away the sense of semi-divinety and mystery. As an alternative Stock Lizardmen form the true Kohl'Tass and the above race and/or kobalds form a PC available Lesser Kohl'Tass race.

Of course this has the odd side effect of making Lesser Kohl'Tass more skillfull as druid then True Kohl'Tass, to fix this I suggest he following campain rule as a modification to the default rules in the monster manual/savage species: For species with more than one racial hit dice, A races skill list for monster level consist of the skills listed in it's description in the monster manual AND the skill list of it's favored class. Skill points are equal to the higher of it's monster type or it's favored class.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Andor said:
I hadn't thought of the Kohl'Tass as really a level 1 available PC race, that kinda takes away the sense of semi-divinety and mystery. As an alternative Stock Lizardmen form the true Kohl'Tass and the above race and/or kobalds form a PC available Lesser Kohl'Tass race.

Of course this has the odd side effect of making Lesser Kohl'Tass more skillfull as druid then True Kohl'Tass, to fix this I suggest he following campain rule as a modification to the default rules in the monster manual/savage species: For species with more than one racial hit dice, A races skill list for monster level consist of the skills listed in it's description in the monster manual AND the skill list of it's favored class. Skill points are equal to the higher of it's monster type or it's favored class.
Or maybe the Elder Kohl'Tass have full levels in my racial paragon class (note that this will make them statistically nearly identical to full lizardmen while aiding their druidic nature and staying balanced, in my opinion). Or possibly, the Elder Kohl'Tass have access to Paragon levels beyond 5th (when I get the time to make them).

Andor

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Or maybe the Elder Kohl'Tass have full levels in my racial paragon class (note that this will make them statistically nearly identical to full lizardmen while aiding their druidic nature and staying balanced, in my opinion). Or possibly, the Elder Kohl'Tass have access to Paragon levels beyond 5th (when I get the time to make them).

Well, my thought was that in a realm of Reptile worshippers the Lizardmen are reguarded as semi-divine, especially since they are the primary holders of the druidic tradition and we've got lots of plot points that make druids important. So therefore a first level Kohl'tass druid PC would weild social power vastly beyond their actual power and in any city game would completely overshadow the rest of the party in terms of influence. If a first level True Kohl'Tass druid is a 5th level character then the rest of the party are already a force to be reckoned with and the Kohl'Tass won't so completly overshadow the rest of the table socially.

It's not that I don't like your race or Paragon levels, I'm just forseeing trouble if the Kohl'Tass are too easily aquired as a PC race. Lizardmen with 2 racial hitdice and a +2 LA are not so easily aquired.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Andor said:
Well, my thought was that in a realm of Reptile worshippers the Lizardmen are reguarded as semi-divine, especially since they are the primary holders of the druidic tradition and we've got lots of plot points that make druids important. So therefore a first level Kohl'tass druid PC would weild social power vastly beyond their actual power and in any city game would completely overshadow the rest of the party in terms of influence. If a first level True Kohl'Tass druid is a 5th level character then the rest of the party are already a force to be reckoned with and the Kohl'Tass won't so completly overshadow the rest of the table socially.

It's not that I don't like your race or Paragon levels, I'm just forseeing trouble if the Kohl'Tass are too easily aquired as a PC race. Lizardmen with 2 racial hitdice and a +2 LA are not so easily aquired.
I completely understand where you're coming from, since I was going completely opposite direction here (I was trying to make the Kohl'Tass more accessible). Also, the 1st-level Kohl'Tass druid entering Eyros would be a cool roleplaying opportunity, in my opinion. The difficulties imposed by their outsider status would be cancelled out by the benefits of their high regard (they might have offers for hire as a horticulturist from big aristocratic families, but they would still have trouble fitting in), and they would have to have a good roleplaying reason to leave their lands to begin with. In my mind, this is an excellent way to have a low-level campaign where the PCs can matter, but ultimately it should of course be left up to DM taste whether or not to allow 1st-level Kohl'Tass as PCs. Oh, and lizardmen have a level adjustment of +1 and two racial hit dice, but going that route makes them bad at being druids, as you noted before (there's really no easy answer except fiating the Kohl'Tass as NPC-only, but I'd like to leave a druidic race open to PC selection, if rare).

Last edited:

domino

First Post
I submit to you, Typical NPC Cavalry Captain.

Aristocrat 1/ Warrior 4
Medium Humanoid (Human)

Hit dice 5d8+5 (25 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20 ft in breastplate; base speed 30 ft
Armor Class: 17 (+5 breastplate, +2 heavy wooden shield) Touch 10, Flatfooted 17
BAB/Grapple: +4/+5
Attacks: Lance +6 melee (1d8+1/x3 (doubled from a charging mount)) or Javelin +4 ranged (1d6) or Short Sword +5 melee (1d6+1/19-20)
Space/reach: 5ft/10ft(with lance)
Saves: Fort 4 Will 4 Ref 1
Attributes: Str 13 Dex 10 Con 12 Int 13 Wis 12 Cha 10
Skills: Bluff +4 Diplomacy +4 Handle Animal +8 Listen +4 Ride +8 Sense Motive +4 Speak Language +4 Spot +4
Feats: Weapon Focus (Lance), Mounted Combat, Ride By attack
Environment: Any
Organization: Individual, Squad (+4 3rd level Troops)
CR: 4
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Any, though chaotic is rare
Advancement: By Character Class

Often found commanding a squad of other lancers, the captain is found patrolling the roads and borders of the kingdom. He can speak both Vulgar and High Eyros, and occasionally, another language as well.

The favored combat tactic is to harry the enemy with Javelins at range, using the greater speed of the mount to stay out of melee range. If that is not feasible, or after the enemy is distracted and already hurting, the squad will perform a devestating charge against an enemy.

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Nice NPC! I like how you incorporated the use of cavalry and ranged combat from the early descriptions. I can imagine a javelin-wielding, Romanesque-breastplate-wearing, deinonychus-riding captain here.

domino

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Nice NPC! I like how you incorporated the use of cavalry and ranged combat from the early descriptions. I can imagine a javelin-wielding, Romanesque-breastplate-wearing, deinonychus-riding captain here.
Thanks! And nice idea about the lizard riding soldiers. I was thinking of them riding normal horses, but that idea is both more keeping in tune with the world, and just plain cooler. They'd need exotic saddles, but that's really no problem. In that world, an exotic saddle is probably the standard one, anyways.

While I'm at it, a Typical NPC Cavalryman.

Warrior 3
Medium Humanoid (Human)

Hit dice 3d8+3 (15 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20 ft in breastplate; base speed 30 ft
Armor Class: 17 (+5 breastplate, +2 heavy wooden shield) Touch 10, Flatfooted 17
BAB/Grapple: +3/+4
Attacks: Lance +4 melee (1d8+1/x3 (doubled from a charging mount)) or Javelin +3 ranged (1d6) or Short Sword +4 melee (1d6+1/19-20)
Space/reach: 5ft/10ft(with lance)
Saves: Fort 4 Will 1 Ref 1
Attributes: Str 13 Dex 10 Con 12 Int 13 Wis 11 Cha 10
Skills: Handle Animal +6 Intimidate +6 Ride +6 Spot +3
Feats: Mounted Combat, Ride By attack
Environment: Any
Organization: Squad (4 +1 5th level Captain)
CR: 2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Any, though chaotic is rare
Advancement: By Character Class

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Heh, the lizard-riders weren't my idea at all, I'm taking them directly out of the Eyros Campaign Setting thread, which states that the cavalrymen use dinosaurs instead of horses ^^

domino

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Heh, the lizard-riders weren't my idea at all, I'm taking them directly out of the Eyros Campaign Setting thread, which states that the cavalrymen use dinosaurs instead of horses ^^
Oops. I obviously must have missed that part. There's already so much stuff. Luckily, it works out fine anyways, nothing in the write up is mount dependant.

Remove ads