• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules Question - power damage and feats

parcival42

First Post
I'd like to solicit everyone's opinions on a topic that I can't find definitive rules on. I've just made a two-blade dwarven ranger and found something confusing. I took the power Twin Strike which allows you to make 2 attacks that do basic weapon damage without your stat modifier added into the damage. It reads "1[W] damage per attack."

I've also taken the feat Dwarven Weapon Training which adds +2 damage with axes. Is this +2 added to the damage powers that just say #[W], or do powers with formulas like that strictly mean no other damage but the base weapon damage?

It honestly seems to me after reading every pertinent section I could find that the damage to the feat should be added (mostly because I couldn't find anything that says it shouldn't), but I would like other opinions on the matter.

Andur

First Post
I think you have it right, just don't include the +3 in the [W] portion of the formulas. The only thing I ever see them add to the [W] is stat mods anyway...

Your power just doesn't include stat mods.

abyssaldeath

First Post
I would say that the feat damage is added considering that powers usually only referance an abilty modifier to extra damage. When you take that feat I would read it as 1[W+2] damage per attack.

Surgoshan

First Post
You add it as a mod after the dice are rolled.

So if you have a power that says 2[W] + Dex mod, then you'd roll 2d10 for your battleaxe, then add your dexterity modifier and +2 from dwarven weapon training.

Mods and the like, whether from feats or racial abilities, don't go inside the brackets. The designers wanted to keep things from getting multiplied like crazy.

FS

First Post
Its outside of the bracket for sure, but since you attack twice, i think/guess you can add the +2 per attack for an effective +4 dmg from this feat when you use Twin Strike.

DreamChaser

Explorer
i think the bonus for Dwarven Weapon Training would be inside the bracket. It is part of the basic weapon damage for that user. Putting it outside would be awkward and would imply that a fighter using an axe with a power would only gain the feat's bonus if the power said 2[w]+strength + feats.

The fact that none of the powers appear to say this indicates that fixed bonus to a type of weapon count as part of the [w]

DC

MindWanderer

First Post
DreamChaser said:
i think the bonus for Dwarven Weapon Training would be inside the bracket. It is part of the basic weapon damage for that user. Putting it outside would be awkward and would imply that a fighter using an axe with a power would only gain the feat's bonus if the power said 2[w]+strength + feats.

The fact that none of the powers appear to say this indicates that fixed bonus to a type of weapon count as part of the [w]

DC
Both of the sample dwarf fighters fail to do this. Kathra, for example, does 3d10+5 damage (3[W]+3(Str)+2(Feat)); it would be 3d10+9 if the feat went inside the brackets.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
PHB, page 276 says that ONLY the weapon's dice are multiplied -- ONLY the dice go in the brackets. Feat bonuses are constant (not multiplied), and the same goes for enhancement bonuses.

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads