Rulings on Ray of enfeeblement

Chimera

First Post
Grenouillebleue said:
This spell needs a touch attack (not that tough to achieve usually) and has no save.

The standard is that a spell requires either a ranged touch, or a save. Few require both.

First level Wizard with no BAB and let's say a +2 Dex bonus vs, for example, touch AC of 12 (assuming the same +2 dex bonus) means you hit on a 10, or 55% of the time. More often than not, but hardly a sure thing.

It lowers strength by 1d6+5. That looks incredibly powerful to me.

This is technically incorrect. It lowers Strength by d6 + 1 per two caster levels to a maximum of +5 (at 10th level). Your first level caster lowers his enemy strength by an average of 4.5 on a successful hit, causing a -2 to hit and damage. This is hardly out of line with other spells, and unlike some of them, only affects one creature.

Did I read it wrong ? Is there something I missed ?

See above.

Thanee

First Post
Chimera said:
Your first level caster lowers his enemy strength by an average of 4.5 on a successful hit...

3.5, actually, you need to be 2nd level to gain the first +1 to the roll. :)

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Cam Banks said:
Correct; only variable effects are empowered. So that's (1d6 x 1.5) + 5.

Wrong; all variable, numeric effects of an empowered spell are increased by one-half.

1d6+5 strength penalty is a variable, numeric effect, therefore it is increased by one-half.

(1d6+5) x 1.5 is correct.

Bye
Thanee

Vuron

First Post
It's pretty potent especially if you use encumbrance by weight. It's probably a bit overpowered for a 1st level spell (a fixed amount would likely be a better solution) but it's never been so problematic as to require a nerfing IMC.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Thanee said:
Wrong; all variable, numeric effects of an empowered spell are increased by one-half.

1d6+5 strength penalty is a variable, numeric effect, therefore it is increased by one-half.

(1d6+5) x 1.5 is correct.

I wouldn't call the +1/2 levels part the variable numeric effect in question, myself. Got any more examples to support that? What if you've got some ability like the war mage's spellcasting edge thing that adds to damage, would you consider that part of the variable numeric effect and include that in the 1.5? I can see the same argument used in that instance.

Cheers,
Cam

starwed

First Post
The standard is that a spell requires either a ranged touch, or a save. Few require both.
The idea is that a ray spell should never also require a reflex save, since your touch AC represents your chance of the ray avoiding you. But rays which aren't just energy damage often allow a fortitude or will save to avoid the effects. (Such as disintegrate or ray of exhaustion.)

Making the ray a Fort save for half might be reasonable.

I thought it was only 6-14. Only the 1d6 is multiplied by the 1.5, right?
Check the PHB's example of empowerment, using magic missile. It deals (1d4+1)*1.5 damage.

IcyCool

First Post
Cam Banks said:
I wouldn't call the +1/2 levels part the variable numeric effect in question, myself. Got any more examples to support that? What if you've got some ability like the war mage's spellcasting edge thing that adds to damage, would you consider that part of the variable numeric effect and include that in the 1.5? I can see the same argument used in that instance.

Cheers,
Cam

Check out the example given for empowering a magic missile. It inlcudes the +1 part of 1d4+1.

Remove ads