• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[rumor, not fact!] Hasbro selling off WotC

I think I'll just wait until they make whatever Gen Con announcements they're going to make before I get worried about anything. At the moment all we have to go on is rumour and speculation.

Olaf the Stout

Shawn_Kehoe

First Post
Adso said:
Wow. All I can say is...well...very, very, very not true.

Try again.

Oh, come on. Who do you expect us to believe?

Someone who works for the company in question?

Or an unidentified source that even the OP is treating as a rumour?

You have a lot to learn about Net Logic, sir. :)

Delta

First Post
Jack of Shadows said:
If I didn't trust my friend and know how well placed his contact is I would have dismissed it. Still I'm treating it as rumour until I hear something more circumstantial.

Nice try. I almost gave some chance of it being possible with the first post, but this kind of "continuation bet" post blew it for me ( http://dictionary.pokerzone.com/continuation bet) -- it's too much the same tactic seen in other earlier rumor threads.

Treebore

First Post
Vocenoctum said:
I think this same rumor comes up each year from reliable sources.

Do reliable sources drink a lot or something?

You obviously have not seen the WOTC guys at GenCon when they are "done for the day".

They don't drink. They swim.

BTW, don't get my hopes up like that.

I would love it if Peter Adkinson was buying back WOTC at a fraction of what he sold it to Hasbro for.

Wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened in the business world.

Friadoc

Explorer
As a shareholder in Hasbro, I bought stock after they bought WotC, I can say, at least with as much visibility as I would have, that there has been no call for a vote to sell any parts of the company or subsidiaries.

While there was mention of the company making a larger profit off of it's lisences directly, instead of indirectly.

So, that said, while it wouldn't surprise me that Hasbro would sell WotC, I've seen zero mention of it to the shareholders who, from my understanding, would have to approve of said thing.

Your mileage may vary.

Treebore

First Post
Friadoc said:
As a shareholder in Hasbro, I bought stock after they bought WotC, I can say, at least with as much visibility as I would have, that there has been no call for a vote to sell any parts of the company or subsidiaries.

While there was mention of the company making a larger profit off of it's lisences directly, instead of indirectly.

So, that said, while it wouldn't surprise me that Hasbro would sell WotC, I've seen zero mention of it to the shareholders who, from my understanding, would have to approve of said thing.

Your mileage may vary.

All they need is the "majority of shareholders". If they know they can get it without an announcement, they may not do so.

Still, I agree, WOTC is not being sold to anyone. That would make me happy, and this kind of thing just doesn't happen to make me happy. Fortunately, far more important things do.

Friadoc said:

Your mileage may vary.

Dude, I'm a 'shareholder,' too, but unless you have thousands, and I mean THOUSANDS of shares, you ain't gonna hear squat til the announcement.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My magic 8 Ball says the winner in the "Who will buy WotC" auction will be...China.

It will give them a direct foothold into a segment of American culture.

They will buy WotC to insource all of the production of DDM- they'll control exactly what gets released and when.

4Ed will be written in Chinese first, with the eventual "engrish" translation. Its unarmed combat rules will be the best in RPG history.

M:tG will be redesigned to have only one color- Red. It, too, will be written in "engrish."

Last edited:

Remove ads