• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running a short game for first time players at school

carborundum

Adventurer
I teach at a High School in the Netherlands and a few kids (13-15 years old) have asked me to run a game in the last week. Have you guys any tips?

I'm undecided whether to run 3e (my fave) or 4e (fun and probably easier for them to grasp) so your experiences would be appreciated. I'm also unsure about doing a simple dungeoncrawl or something more wilderness-y. Again, all advice welcome. If you've done this kind of thing, is three hours enough to explain the basics (assuming pregen characters) and get some sort of resolution?

All manner of tips and advice welcome!

malraux

First Post
With basic characters at low level with pre-gens, 3 hours is reasonable. As for the system, that's really more about what you want to run, especially with possibility that they like it want want it more regularly.

If you do 4e though, I recommend cutting the HP of the monsters in half, and possibly bumping the players to second. The grind issue with 4e is really really apparent with 1st level characters, especially ones who aren't used to the system yet. And obviously, regardless of system, the pre-gens should be easy to use.

Rechan

Adventurer
I think a dungeon crawl is fine. I would introduce them to some sort of roleplaying - someone in the dungeon they have to talk to, or at least should. But young gamers are the "Kill it and take its stuff" types.

Olli

First Post
Try a simple system (i would recommend BECMI) and a simple scenario from that era. They are made with new Players in mind. Try KotB or the Lost City. In both, you can get quite a few play in in 3 hours, and with the simple Rules from BECMI (as you would only use B) won´t overwhelm the players.

I have tried in the past to bring the Game to a people who where interested, but had no experience whatever. I have observed that the newer Systems with their many options ternd to overwhelm new players quite quickly!!!!

Oh, and i have heard that Labyrinth Lord emulates BECMI quite well, but i haven´t read it.

Rechan

Adventurer
I have tried in the past to bring the Game to a people who where interested, but had no experience whatever. I have observed that the newer Systems with their many options ternd to overwhelm new players quite quickly!!!!
This is why pregens, and "ask them what they want, then make the character yourself" often helps.

This is especially true given that some systems have a "system mastery" assumption, while others read like a programming manual.

Olli

First Post
This is why pregens, and "ask them what they want, then make the character yourself" often helps.

This is especially true given that some systems have a "system mastery" assumption, while others read like a programming manual.

Yeah, PreGens could be an answer, but nothing beats "Roll this 3 Dice 6 times, choose your Class, choose your equipmentpack (Great Idea from B4), and get the game going" in no less then 20 Minutes with selfmade Characters!!! YMMV...

Olli

Brandigan

Explorer
This is a scenerio I love running for first time players: They all wake up in a locked dungeon cell. They don't know each other or why they are there but they all have to work together to get out. They start with nothing but have to make use of what they find on the way, then players aren't overwhelmed by everything at once. The adventure also provides a clear objective and motive.
This approach probably favors pre-gens, depending on how simple and fast you want it to go.
Have fun!

carborundum

Adventurer
Thanks guys, great ideas! Straight in with the 3d6 gets them more attached to their characters - and the jail cell idea is sweet! I think I'll combine them both!

Now to think of a plot :)

Remove ads