• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running the Starter Set with Adventurer's League

darjr

I crit!
I think this is the last point to show that they ARE marketing the starter set to folks already in the hobby. Neat idea.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Chris Tulach said:
You can modify your character however you’d like until 5th level. Let’s say you create a character and later on, you don’t like it. Or you use a pre-generated character, but later want to make your own. No worries – you can change details about your character (race, class, background, spells, other features, etc.) after you gain a level anytime until 5th level. You retain your current level and all rewards (treasure and magic items) earned for your character, regardless of any changes made. (One exception – if you change your faction, you lose any renown with that faction and start at zero with the new faction.)
This i find a bit weird. I think i preferred LFR retrain rules where you could not change your race, class or background. I understand that it's less realism in favor of more flexibility, but i am concerned some people will abuse it and constantly redo their character so they can be always optimal for the adventure at hand like how people adjusted odd stats i LFR for exemple, but to a greater magnitude.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I think this is the last point to show that they ARE marketing the starter set to folks already in the hobby. Neat idea.

I don't know if they are marketing the Starter Set at current gamers or just understand some of us have more excitement than sense (I'm getting a couple of the Starter Sets, so that goes double for me).

This [retraining everything until 5th level] i find a bit weird. I think i preferred LFR retrain rules where you could not change your race, class or background. I understand that it's less realism in favor of more flexibility, but i am concerned some people will abuse it and constantly redo their character so they can be always optimal for the adventure at hand like how people adjusted odd stats i LFR for exemple, but to a greater magnitude.

And I think retraining everything until 5th is part of the same acknowledgment. They know people are excited and will want to start playing the Starter Set and working on leveling their AL characters. They also know those same people are going to have the PH(B) next month and will want to have different characters than the Basic game allows for.

And I think this is a good compromise. From what I've seen, 1-3 level will fly past. 4th and 5th probably won't take much longer. It gives people a chance to tinker and adjust, but it locks everything in after a certain point. What I appreciate most is this method gives me, a rules follower, the flexibility I'd like. The non-rules followers of the world were going to do this kind of thing anyway.

Thaumaturge.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Its an excellent compromise to allow people to change whatever they want about their character that's for sure. It just hard to explain in character how Gorik the Dwarf Fighter was in Lost Mine of Phandelver Part 1, but in Part 2, he was an Elf Wizard, in Part 3 he was a Halfling Rogue and in Defiance in Phlan, he got back to being a Dwarf Fighter...:p

Remove ads