• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ry's Threats, Rewards, Assets, and Problems (TRAPs)

Woas

First Post
If you have the time (I understand you have a newborn and all) could you extrapolate more on the conflict-based TRAPs?
I've been trying to use this method in my current Iron Heroes game as a method of focusing the action and flow/storyline of the game into a better package. And because the game has hit a "new chapter" point where the story and plot is switching gears I'd like to try TRAPs.

For example two of the players have created characters that share some character backstory and are both searching for an NPC. For the most part I've been skirting the issue and keeping it on the back burner. But now I would like give the players a chance to fulfill their characters backstory and create a side-plot of it.

Threat: ??? To be honest I'm still not 100% sure how a threat is unique from a problem. Senos (The NPC is question) is to be hung in X amount of days? Would that be an appropriate threat?
Reward: Senos can give the players further info about the story-line.
Asset: Characters can do favors for the warden or other such figure to gain access to a special session with Senos?
Problem: Senos was arrested and now is being held in a prison. The characters are not allowed to talk to him.

Thanks,
Woas

Ry

Explorer
Well, Threat is like Monster and Reward is like Treasure.

The difference between problems and threats in my mind is that threats are dangerous in a very immediate way. Remembering threats is exactly the same as remembering to put traps and monsters in a dungeon.

So for a Threat, I'd design a badass executioner (could be capital E Executioner class or not) that has been sharpening his axe for Senos, or a wyvern that attacks the crowd gathered for the execution. That's just like saying "In d20 games, when the the going gets tough, the weapons come out."

A Problem is just like you describe: Something where the PCs are going to be at cross purposes with someone else or have to "solve" something, but not necessarily in immediate danger in the same way.

A warlord's plot to take over the city is a Problem - the warlord's dragon lieutenant is a Threat, and his badass but evil sword is an Asset with a Problem, and he himself is probably a Threat that's tied to a bunch of these Threats, Rewards, Assets, and Problems.

Good?

Woas

First Post
Yes it is more clear now. Threats are the actual meat n' potato element of a session that is going to involve the dice rolling. A problem is the overarching/guiding reason why the characters an a threat are in the same place at the same time to begin with.

Thank you for the help.

Last edited:

Ry

Explorer
Just to throw a LITTLE mud in, there is a kind of Problem that works in a meat and potatoes way. That's the "during the battle" Problem - for example:

Threat: Weredirebadger Archers with bows the size of ballistas

Reward: Weredirebadgers' bows are worth 1000 gp each.

Asset: Weredirebadgers are known (DC 20 knowledge check) for a strong sense of honour and can be called out to a melee challenge by an appropriate party.

Problem: Aforementioned dire badgers have good cover, long range, and high ground, and there's a river between their hill and the PCs.

Ry

Explorer
Someone e-mailed me looking for some help with making a "lower down to the giant-built quarry floor" more of an encounter/situation than just an exercise in dice-rolling.

Problem: Grimlocks have taken up residence in some caves connected to the quarry - these are fissures originally dug by the giants. The Grimlocks ruined the old steps down into the quarry.

Threat: Bulette or Devourer attacks if players linger too long. The PCs see some kind of grooves chisled into the bulette's hide, maybe Undercommon for its grimlock master's name.

Asset (AKA Resource): Some mineral in the quarry attracts the beasts. The grimlocks have figured out how to use them as guard animals because the mineral is delicious to earthdwellers.

Reward: Smart PCs who scout out the area find a cave that - if navigated quietly and carefully - can be used to reach the quarry floor without alerting the grimlocks.

Cerulean_Wings

First Post
I got in love with the TRAP system, and here are my very first 2 attempts at using it for my E6 campaign :)

Spoiler warning: If you happen to be one of my players in my Rpol campaign, do not read this post, unless you wish to spoil yourself of what's going to happen.

TRAP #1

Problem - The Captain's son went missing, apparently taken captive by the Black Lead, a group of bandits. In truth, he willingly joined them, and is now using his knowledge of the city to make it easier for the bandits to sneak in and steal

Threat - The bandits are violent, and approaching them in a frontal-assault at their cave will end in a bloody mess

Asset - There's a knight who was buried in the cave, in a secret chamber, who could assist the PC's (as a skeletal knight), should they retrieve his family heirloom (taken by one of the bandits)

Reward - If the Black Lead is convinced to get away from the region (or slain), and the boy is returned to the Captain, they will have a quartet of horses given to them, along with free food for a week

TRAP #2

Problem - A group of assassins have planned to wreck a small city by asking the local alchemist to make loads of explosive materials as a "special order", and convinced the local hunter to kill as many animals in the region for their hides. The explosives will be used to literally blow things up in an "accident", and the hunter's actions will lead to a tribe of barbarians to get angry with the city - angry enough to attack it

Threat - The barbarians will attack soon enough, unless convinced, and the alchemist's explosives will wreck everything if the assailants are not stopped in time.

Asset - One of the pc's comes from a family of wood elfs that lives in the woods nearby, who could agree to help the pc's to stall the barbarians from attacking.

Asset #2 - The barbarians will accept this deal: the head of the hunter in exchange for not attacking the city

Reward - A big feast for the heroes, should they succeed 100%, which will attract the attention of the local noble. Should they also convince the barbarian tribe, they will earn their respect, too

Last edited:

Slapzilla

First Post
Sounds right. Just be careful about NPCs helping out too much, specificly TRAP #2 Asset #1. The PCs need to be the stars. If the family does help, it should be with information only. Assets should be something for the PCs to use, not something that does the work for them. It does look like you've got the idea though. Nice!

Remove ads