S1: Tomb of Horrors - IC

kinem

Adventurer
The early morning sun streams in brightly through the large windows throughout the Temple of Pelor, even in this rather isolated wing. Father Jared waits quietly, praying, near the orrery with its planets slowly revolving around the small golden sun.

The far door opens, and a man enters, quietly closing the door behind him. The man wears a black robe, which is not that unusual in most places but rarely seen in the house of the white-robed priests. He waits while Jared finishes his prayer.

"Good morning, Flan" Jared tells him.

"Good morning" Flan replies. "Any news?"

"The people I told you about should be here shortly. If anyone around here can pull this off, they can."

"But ... do you really trust them?"

"Yes ... mostly. Honestly, I have a reservation or two about a couple of them. But there isn't much choice at this point. Time may be growing short, wouldn't you say?"

The two of them contemplate the orrery.

Gorash Graybeard - Dwarf Cleric

And it was a Goblin, A goblin !! Ha ha…

A loud, rumbling laugh can be heard as a short and a well built dwarf, wearing brown robes and boots enters the hall. He chuckles to himself after the hilarious joke he just told one of the acolytes that stood in the other room.
He wears cleric's robes, decorated with patterns of gems and axes. A holy symbol of Moradin dangles around his neck Gorash approach the two clerics of Pelor. His gray beard is long and stained with the remains of dried ale foam. He is unarmed.

"Gorash, Gorash Graybeard, a Priest of the Dwarf-father, it is an honor to meet you."

kinem

Adventurer
The white-robed man says "The honor is mine, Father Greybeard. I am High Priest Jared of Pelor, but you can call me Jared."

"The honor is mine as well" the black-robed man says. "Though I'm certainly no priest. I am Flan Ganno, historian and scholar of magic."

Jared says "Flan has brought to my attention a grave and perhaps urgent matter, one that I will request your help with. But let's wait for the others to arrive before discussing that.

It is well that you arrived first though since I have another question for you. How well do you trust the half-orc Ungroth? For he is among those invited here. His help could be invaluable, but betrayal by him could be disastrous."

WarShrike

First Post
"Honor?" comes the query from just around the corner of the hall entrance. "No, the horror is all mine. You people aren't around him day in and day out." says Ungroth as he comes into view of the clergymen. "Ahh the tales i could... wait... what? What was that?" he asks, a puzzled look on his bestial visage, as if he wasn't sure what he'd heard. He looks around the hall and his eyes lock onto a small statue of Pelor near the main altar. "Say, is that thing made of platinum?"

Gorash

I trust the dwarf father and no one else...
Gorash gulps as the Orc breed enters, shifting the discussion to avoid Jared to be embarrassed by his last statement.
Well met, well met.
He takes the Orc's hand with a firm shake and turns back to Jared and Flan
Who are the others that you invited?

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Chaotic Good Human male wizard (transmuter) 9

A man approaches the front doors iof a temple, travel clothing dusty and wrinkled. He has but a single dagger at his side and a pack on his back. His hait is deep red, almost brown, with gray streaks starting to present them selves. His beard is of a similar color, but is very neatly trimmed.

He approaches an acolyte, shows her the invitation, and she leads the man to a chamber where the others have arrived. The rumbling voice of the dwavin priest precludes his announcement.

"Bernidect Arturo du metsade, At your service." His voice is sure and strong, but not overwhelming. He holds up the invitation as he approaches. Looking to the human in white robes he asks," Father Jerad I presume?"

kinem

Adventurer
"Ah, good morning, Ungroth and Bernidect Arturo. I am indeed Father Jared."

"Hello. I am Flan Ganno. A scholar."

"I sent out a few more invitations, but the others may be harder to reach on short notice."

(to the acolyte) "Any word on the paladin?"

"Not as of yet" she replies. She leaves, closing the door behind her.

"Flan, it is best if you explain to them what happened.

But before we start, can I interest you all in an exotic beverage? It is known as orange juice. It is fruit juice, I assure you. Concentrated sunlight. The perfect start to a morning."
He hoists a glass bottle of the colorful liquid.

Scott DeWar

"That would be superb, Father. So, Master Ganno, A Scholar you say? May I Inquire what Your field of specialty is?"

kinem

Adventurer
Flan Ganno accepts a glass of the juice as well.

ooc: switching to regular Red for better visibility

"My specialty is ancient history, as well as magic in my capacity as a wizard. A few days ago, I lead a small team into a recently unearthed ancient fort for an archaeological study. I believe it was originally a Suel outpost, but there is evidence of a variety of inhabitants over the years. At first it seemed uninhabited, as I expected, but then my team was attacked by a pair of undead wraiths. We fought them off, but barely. We couldn't risk any more attacks, so we left the site, but on the way out I grabbed what looked like the most interesting item, a book that appeared to be a private journal.

When we camped I read part of it. I didn't tell the others what I'd discovered inside it, but they must have known I thought it was important.

The next morning, the book was gone. So was one of my men, Steven Hill, an expert trapfinder. I had no way of tracking him.

What I discovered from the journal is that an ancient Suel artifact known as the Golden Amulet of War is buried within a tomb in the Vast Swamp. This amulet - and I have read of it from other sources - not only brought power to the wearer, but more importantly, aided the entire armies that were on his side in battle. Given the wars that have recently racked the continent, and Iuz quickly rebuilding his evil armies, I don't need to tell you that such a discovery could soon prove to be of great practical importance depending on who gets hold of it.

The ancient tomb belongs to one known as King Acererak. He was one of the infamous lich King Vecna's top servants, behind only General Kas. Apparently Vecna was in possession of the amulet. When Kas betrayed Vecna, Acererak took the amulet and carved out an empire of his own.

It is said that Acererak was himself a lich, as well as having fiendish blood. For unknown reasons, he eventually withdrew from the world and ordered the construction of an elaborate tomb. When it was complete, neither he nor the workmen who built it were heard from again. With the leader gone, his empire quickly fell apart.

There have long been rumors of Acererak's tomb in the Vast Swamp. It is said that adventurers have attempted to raid it but that none have returned. On the other hand, some may have returned, as other tales tell of terrible traps of all sorts. Some tales suggest that Acererak has hidden himself so well that he can never be found, while other tales suggest that he has become so powerful that none can defeat him in battle. In my opinion, it is best to ignore these conflicting tales and simply assume the worst of everything."

"No doubt you've guessed where this is going" Father Jared says. "I have called you here because I believe that a raid on this tomb must be mounted. And soon, because I have no doubt - and my divinations confirm this - that a team of evildoers will soon be attempting the same. And if they fail, I expect others will follow.

Of course, the cultists of Vecna would do anything or pay anything to get their hands on the Amulet, as would many others. It must be secured for the forces of Good; or, failing that, at least it must be confirmed that none can get the artifact from the tomb.

Are you willing to take on this burden?"

"By the way, since Acererak was a king, there is no doubt that a huge hoard of treasure was buried with him. Other than the Amulet, you are free to keep whatever else you find."

Scott DeWar

Benidicto shudders greatly every time the name of Vecna is spoken. He looks around worriedly as if the litch would show up with the mere mentioning of the terrible being.

Remove ads