S1: Tomb of Horrors - IC

kinem

Adventurer
While final preparations are being made, Bernidect lays down on a couch for a nap. When the time comes to wake him, he does not wake. The priests can't explain it but they determine that he is having some sort of mysterious dream. They tend to him and know enough about healing that they can keep him from starving, but clearly he is in no condition to adventure.

With only two left, the expedition looks to be in doubt, but a new volunteer insists on joining it. Gruskin, a burly half-orc fighter, works as a guard for the temple. The priests say he has been trained well, that his heart is in the right place, and that he is the most skillful fighter they have ever seen in action. But ... there is a reason they didn't suggest him for the mission in the first place. To put it charitably, he is not very bright. Still, as he seems willing to defer to the wisdom of the others when decisions need to be made, it is decided that he will go.

Just as the group is about to set out, one of the other people Jared invited finally arrives: halfling sorcerer Gunden Halftoe. He agrees to join the expedition.

The journey by boat takes a few days and is relatively uneventful. The flat barge has no sail, just oars. There are also a couple of 10' long poles that are useful for avoiding rocks and waters in the swamp that are too shallow.

At one point a group of giant frogs move in threateningly towards the boat, but Gruskin, in his spiked plate armor and thrusting his flaming guisarme 'Poker' in their general direction, scares them off. "Bye bye frogs!" he says, proudly.

Finally, you arrive at what Mark Hinter says is the island of the tomb. "Good luck!" he says as he takes his leave, climbing into the smaller boat that he'll use to get out of the swamp. "You will need it."

There's about a week's worth of rations and water left in the boat, though Ungroth and Gunden have rings of sustenance. You also know that there are certainly animals in the swamp. The swamp water is drinkable if need be, but Mark warned that people sometimes get sick from it.

Before you is a low, flat-topped hill, about 200 yards wide and 300 yards long. Only ugly weeds, thorns, and briars grow upon the steep sides and bald top of the 60' high mound. There are black rocks upon the top of the hill.

Last edited:

WarShrike

First Post
Ungroth stalks warily towards the black rocks, cautious of what might be lurking behind any of the many thorn bushes, or just below the surface of the water.

"Swamps are so creepy" he mutters at one point.

[sblock=ooc]
Sorry it took this long to post. Skyrim is taking it's toll on everything not Skyrim related. If it waqsn't for the painful burning in my nether regions, i probably wouldn't have remembered to pee since Skyrim came out. :)
[/sblock]

kinem

Adventurer
[sblock=ooc]Skyrim, just as I suspected, but that was a little too much information :lol:[/sblock]

The black rocks are on top of the 60' high hill, which has steep sides.

ooc: Does Ungroth climb up? He could do so easily, but you didn't say you were climbing and some of the others might have more trouble, if you intend to stick close together.

Gorash

OOC: I have the skyrim also but have not installed it yet ... so you say I will lose my RL to that game...

Is that the only way up?
Gorash asks
Can you check the surroundings Ungroth?

kinem

Adventurer
[sblock=ooc]Save yourself while you still can. Don't install it![/sblock]
OOC: Halfling sorcerer Gunden Halftoe has been edited in as part of the current party.

Ungroth walks around the perimeter of the mound, which is quite rectangular, unlike any natural hills he's ever seen.

The only side of the mound which is notably different from the others is the north face.

The north side of the hill has a crumbling cliff of sand and gravel about 20’ high and 340' long in about the middle of the whole. A low stone ledge overhangs this eroded area, and shrubs and bushes obscure it from observation at a distance.

WarShrike

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
Depends what kind of player you are. I myself had this one game of Oblivion over 400 hours played because i just HAD to explore every inch of the game, do every dungeon/quest, and what have you. Same for Fallout 3 and FONV. So for me, this game is indeed taking over my life. And if you are the same kind of gamer i am, it will take over yours, cuz this game is freakin HUGE.
[/sblock]

Ungroth approaches the sandy area, wary of the fact that the foliage above can hide any number of threats, and examines the rock face to see if it can withstand his weight for a climb. If he decides it cannot, he looks for any large rocks or heavy vegetation on top that he could command his Rope of Climbing to attach to.

kinem

Adventurer
The sandy area is crumbling and looks unstable; indeed it might be possible to dig into it fairly easily.

Above the ledge there are some sturdy-looking bushes which seem like they ought to be able to support Ungroth's weight.

cool hand luke

First Post
As Ungroth is poking around, Gunden speaks up,

Such a dismal place, don't you think? Any ideas on how to proceed? I don't think I'll be much for climbing up the rope or side of the hill. Of course if I could fly up and take a quick look and see if I spot anything on this LOVELY island. I could get a quick lay of the land and then we can figure out how to proceed.

Remove ads