S2: War in Vastermarch - Completed

Bront

The man with the probe
Juliana waves good bye to her companions and sets back on the road to retun home.

OOC: Manz, any final things I need to worry about? Or am I all done? Looks like Jules is off, maybe to run into Rowan ;)

Manzanita

First Post
So Juliana's left, so I don't need to worry about what she can or can't do in Braeholl? Nodis has also left. This is fine. You're both great players, & I'll miss you. But I know I'll continue to see you around the boards. You guys may deserve another half of a 'time spent' credit. Keep an eye on this thread.

RE: Ogrin's letter of commendation. Tharok was known to the militia, and, as such, some sort of commendation could be obtained. It would say, maybe, "Ogrin Brutalfist, halfling adventurer, is hereby recognized as having rid the Vastermarch of many orc invaders, captured their leader, and saved the lives of many of our citizens and soldiers." Signed, Captain Haj Carter, Braeholl Militia, Vastermarch.

It sounds like we haven't heard from Talbin, so we can't quite close this up.

Is Razh's sheild situation clarified? Generally, anything up to 1500 gps can be bought in Braeholl. Poto can do some magical stuff, too, over that limit, perhaps.

Poto is somewhat taken aback by Raseriet's assertion that destroying the weapon is virtually hopeless. "Oh no. My dear dwarf, what can be made can be unmade. We just have to put our heads together on this one. Can any of you think of a good place to find out something like this? I do have an idea, actually, communicated to me by my old friend Stormblade from Orussus, but I'm open to other ideas as well. Sounds like we may want to interview this Torvin Arkenthrasher character. Nice man. I've met him a couple times. Gone a bit off in the head, though, eh, from touching the scythe?"Poto shakes his head. "Just goes to show the seriousness of this matter. Can't be losing Paladin's like that. There are few out there with is power and dedication."

Someone

Adventurer
ooc: To simplify things I'll add Nodis's share of the treasure in coin to his sheet, based on Rae's corrected calculations and then return to the Inn.

Nodis suddendly remembers what he wanted to do here. His family! Fortunately, a quick scrying reveals the orc invasion didn't reach them, but he is still in doubt about visiting them or not. On one hand, they should be pruod of him - he now has enough money to buy a handful of farms. On the other hand, there's something inside him not wanting to see them again.

"Er, I'm not interested right now. The weapon thing doesn't sound very fun, and I don't like going undergound. I suppose I'll return to more warm lands, which is a shame, since I've had such good times with you. I hope I see you again!"

rln

Explorer
Ogrin draws a slightly longer straw than Nodis. He's looking expectantly for Talbins draw... if Talbin is interested in any of those items, that is.

Poto is somewhat taken aback by Raseriet's assertion that destroying the weapon is virtually hopeless. "Oh no. My dear dwarf, what can be made can be unmade. We just have to put our heads together on this one. Can any of you think of a good place to find out something like this? I do have an idea, actually, communicated to me by my old friend Stormblade from Orussus, but I'm open to other ideas as well. Sounds like we may want to interview this Torvin Arkenthrasher character. Nice man. I've met him a couple times. Gone a bit off in the head, though, eh, from touching the scythe?"Poto shakes his head. "Just goes to show the seriousness of this matter. Can't be losing Paladin's like that. There are few out there with is power and dedication."

"Can't we just chuck it down an active volcano and be done with it? It just so happens I know where there is one..."

OOC: I suck at saying when I'm not reachable. Was travelling this weekend and will be in Seattle, WA for the week, then going back to Europe next weekend.

Manzanita

First Post
"An active volcano might do it." says Poto. "We do know Seto's minions will be pursuing this thing. The longer we have it, and the further we take it, the more of them we will likely meet."

Well, I thought maybe someone else would have an idea, too. If not, I'll give Poto's suggestions.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
"Aye! That's a great idea, the port's on'y a few days away, an' then we can 'op on... Ogrin's... boat." Rasereit gives Ogrin a look of horror. "Any other ideas?"

OOC: Rasereit's feelings aside, I think Gundar's volcano would be a great place to destroy the weapon!

Boddynock

First Post
Eusebius says somewhat diffidently, "I don't know much about such articles but could we perhaps find a friendly dragon to destroy it? Or summon a fire elemental to turn it into a pile of molten slag? Or what about a ... what are they called ... a rust monster, to turn it to dust?"

He then adds, "What do we know about this Seto? Perhaps understanding the character of the god could give an insight into the weapon, and any weakness it may have."

Manzanita

First Post
"How far away is this volcano of which you speak? Even if it did not destroy the weapon, having it buried in lava would make it difficult to retrieve. Not impossible, though. I have heard of creatures who play in lava. One could be bribed, perhaps, to find something lost in there." muses Poto.

"I have studied Seto some, and can tell you of his background." says Poto, who then explains what he knows of the dark god. What he says is basically what this thread states.

"I suspect a rust monster or fire elemental would lack the power to destroy the weapon. A dragon might be able to, though fire breathing dragons are rare & quite dangerous."

"My friend Volidar the bard did tell me a tale some time ago. Legend has it that eons ago, some giant rock fell from the sky into what is now the Silverwoods. This rock is not of this world, and is made of some unknown metal. The gods themselves fought over it, all wanting it for themselves. The center of this rock was a furnace, which could produce a fire even the gods feared. If true, then this furnace could surely destroy even the weapon of a god."

"Ah, but the older the tale, the more it would have evolved in the retellings. It might be of little use to us. And the Silverwoods can be dangerous. I would prefer not to wander aimlessly in its depths."

The volcanic island is about 10 to 14 days travel, depending on weather & such.

Last edited:

Boddynock

First Post
"Perhaps there is another way to destroy it," Eusebius muses.

"If Seto is a god of hatred and murder and vengeance, and the weapon reflects his nature, then perhaps it can be overcome by goodness and mercy and love. Mayhap the prayers of a saint could set this foul thing at nought. But where to find such a one? It seems clear to me that even such a mighty follower of Hyrag as Torvin Arkenthrasher was not proof against its power."

The priest shakes his head and says, "No, unless any of you know of a true saint who might accomplish this, we are best looking to other means of destroying it."

"Poto, what you said about the weapon being recovered even from the lava worries me. Surely if we undertook this course of action we would need utmost secrecy. Yet we deal with those who live in the shadows - and it is difficult to keep secrets from such as those."

"Tell us more of this myth of the fallen stone - do the legends say what became of it? If none of the gods triumphed, then how has it not fallen into other hands?"

Remove ads