• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sacred Cows for any edition

Which Sacred Cows are required to feel like D&D?

• Six Ability Scores

Votes: 144 87.3%
  • Alignment

Votes: 61 37.0%
  • Hit Points

Votes: 141 85.5%
  • Armor Class

Votes: 132 80.0%
  • Saving Throws

Votes: 87 52.7%
  • Cleric Domains

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Eight Schools of Magic

Votes: 16 9.7%
  • Levels

Votes: 155 93.9%
  • Skill Ranks

Votes: 13 7.9%
  • Other (post your sacred cow below)

Votes: 41 24.8%

Since you quoted me...No.

Just because A implies B does not mean that B implies A. You are making a basic logical error. D&D would not be D&D if it didn't have races, classes, and levels, but that doesn't mean that everything with races, classes, and levels is D&D. For example, countless videogames use a race/class/level divide and I would never call them D&D.

Just because some things may be similar to D&D does not mean that they are forms of D&D. D&D is not defined by some quality of "not resembling anything else".

Well then obviously there is some other, unstated essential or elemental aspect to D&D that Tunnels & Trolls does not have (at least in your opinion), or any game with the essential qualities of A, B, and C would qualify as D&D.

For me, it is Dice, Races, Classes, Levels, "Magic" (Psy, etc), HP-AC system / To-Hit & Damage system, the wargame-derived initiative turn combat system, the "Dungeon Master" figure, Monsters.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
The six ability scores, AC, HP and levels.

If I'd thought of it, I would have added "Other" and said Classes, especially Fighter/Fighting-Man, Cleric and Magic-User/Mage/Wizard.

Olli

First Post
Translation: some kind of resource management (so no resource management).

Doesn't make much sense, does it? Powers, healing surges, etc., are resources and require management.

I mean something that doesn´t "refresh" miracously after the PC´s manage to overcome an obstacle, and something along the lines of"we expended all our resources, lets retreat or rest somewhere). I think the wandering monsters that randomly kill carefree PC´s is also one of D&D´s sacred cows for me.

Olli

FireLance

Legend
I mean something that doesn´t "refresh" miracously after the PC´s manage to overcome an obstacle, and something along the lines of"we expended all our resources, lets retreat or rest somewhere).
Frankly, the only difference between encounter abilities and daily abilities is whether the rest is five minutes long or six hours long.

In addition, I wonder if that is an issue that could be addressed by simply changing the default time frame of the game so that "encounter" abilities are only regained after six hours of rest, and "daily" abilities are only regained after a week of rest. I had actually started a thread about it last week, but I didn't get many responses (just one).

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I voted for Hit Points, Armor Class, Saving Throws, and Levels. Also, Classes, Elves, Dwarves, and Hobb. . . er. . Halflings.

Frankly, the only difference between encounter abilities and daily abilities is whether the rest is five minutes long or six hours long.

In addition, I wonder if that is an issue that could be addressed by simply changing the default time frame of the game so that "encounter" abilities are only regained after six hours of rest, and "daily" abilities are only regained after a week of rest. I had actually started a thread about it last week, but I didn't get many responses (just one).
Sorry, Lance, I tried... ;)

I think Classes, Levels, Hit Points and Armor Class all exemplify concepts that make sense to use from a gameplay point of view and that have always been around in D&D that I can live with them considered sacred cows.

That said, the specific implementation can be changed a lot, in my opinion.

They are not necessarily the ultimate concepts required to make a good RPG, but they are not a bad start, and certainly a good one for a D&D game.

FireLance

Legend
Sorry, Lance, I tried... ;)
Yeah, I know. :)

I think Classes, Levels, Hit Points and Armor Class all exemplify concepts that make sense to use from a gameplay point of view and that have always been around in D&D that I can live with them considered sacred cows.
I voted six ability scores, hit points, armor class, saving throws, levels and other (classes). I think the key thread running through my choices was simplicity. These are concepts that can make the game simple, but you can layer additional complexity on top of them if you want.

Hit points, armor class and saving throws simplify combat by boiling down attack, damage and mitigation to just one roll each (though possibly a roll involving multiple dice). Six ability scores and classes simplify character creation by allowing the player to quickly build a character around a concept that he has in mind or, in the case of random ability score generation, providing a framework to visualize the character he has created. Levels simplify character advancement by giving the PC "packages" of abilities.

Of course, it could be argued that these concepts could be simplified further, e.g. a single roll for attack and damage, three or fewer ability scores, etc. However, perhaps because I've gotten used to it after years of gaming, the loss of granularity that would result from further simplification would not sit well with me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads