• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sacred Cows You Hope Die?

Draxo

First Post
Wish they would get rid of part-races and half-races from the standard lineup.

Seriously, half elves and half orcs are not races, they're halfbreeds. They're supposed to be rare.

I would prefer full blooded orcs and something cool for those of us who like to play 'monster' races like Kobolds, lizardfolk or Gnolls. having a race option thats not basically a human with an odd feature is something wotc needs to learn from MMORPG's.

Last edited:

JRR_Talking

First Post
The magic system.
The health system.
The combat system.
The class system.

erm.....you guys need to play something else

Im glad they are shortening monster stats and deciding each montser shoiuldnt be a playable race.
heck they should have gone to 36 levels and made it 4 stages rather than three like oD&D. Novie, Hero, Epic etc
I like levels
I like classes whether sort of fixed (like D&D) or templatey-like (rolemaster)

No more d6/level fireballs
;-(

John

Aus_Snow

First Post
JRR_Talking said:
erm.....you guys need to play something else
Thanks for the 'advice', but no thanks. As I in fact said in that very same post, that is what house rules are for.

Hence, I have used house rules. For every game system. Like I said. And I'm happy with it being that way. Like I said.

So I don't mind if D&D ain't perfect (by my standards) right out of the box, so to speak. I really don't care.

edit --- . . . and, given that the next edition of the game itself will do at least three out of those four, I have to chuckle a bit [more]. . . :p

Last edited:

Rolling for hit points.
Vancian magic. If you're going to keep any aspect of this (looks like they probably will keep a part of the spellcaster's arsenal as Vancian, according to interviews and designer journals), at least look to Arcana Unearthed (Evolved) for a much better implementation of D&D's magic system.
Monster HD. Just give them levels. Many of 3E's problems arise from this simple issue. See: Ditch Hit Dice!
and: Get Rid of All Monster Hit Dice

Aloïsius

First Post
* Armor improve AC. I fear this one will not be killed
* spell components for low level spells (eat your spider, please, so that you can throw your bat guanon from the ceiling !)
* hundred of GP needed to copy a spell in a spellbook. Yay. Those spellbooks that are described as "travel spellbook", not the 3 feet tall magical Tome you can find in a wizard tower.
* +x items. They are boring
* +x buff spells. They are boring. But, alas, this one won't probably be killed.
* the paladin's detect evil.

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
:lol:

If they actually listen to all of you guys, the only "sacred cow" that remains is the Dungeons & Dragons brand name. ;) And to be honest, while they could change the name they slap on the same (or similar) mechanics and it'd still remain D&D to me (see Castles & Crusades), once too many "signature elements" of D&D have been removed/changed too much, it can have the D&D logo on every available surface and still would have stopped being D&D to me. I don't know if so many players simply want to play "Dungeons & Dragons" no matter what rules, but it sometimes surprises me..seems the roleplaying community goes for "brand name popularity" even more than I thought.

Ry

Explorer
If you're killing the sacred cows...

Cards instead of dice...
Core mechanics that scale in time and level of conflict...
Stake-setting...

it's so beautiful in my mind.

glass

(he, him)
Aus_Snow said:
So I don't mind if D&D ain't perfect (by my standards) right out of the box, so to speak. I really don't care.
Not having a go but... if you want a classless game with completely different combat, health and magic systems, 'not perfect' doesn't quite seem to cover it! :D

glass.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads