Sage Job

Endovior

First Post
Just looking over things here, I noticed that there is no job category for Sages... who are basically people that make a living answering difficult questions for others using their knowledge skills. As such, I am proposing Sage as an addition to the Job system.

According to the DMG, Sages typically make at least 2 Gp per day, and notes that more renowned sages demand higher fees. Therefore, the Sage job would look like this under the current system...

Sage
You are a scholar, making a living by answering difficult questions.
Requirements: At least two Knowledge skills at 4 ranks.
Gp/Week: 1/4 of your total ranks in all Knowledge skills.
Special Payment: You gain 2 Craft Points a week.
Special: At the DM's discretion, other players may call upon your services to answer some particulalry difficult questions. An appropriate research time should be assigned, based on the DC of the Knowledge check and your skill level. A check of DC equal to or less then 5 + your ranks in the relevant skill is answerable immediately, 10 + ranks takes a day, 15 + ranks takes a week, 20 + ranks takes a month, and checks with a higher DC will take several months, if possible at all! If you do not have one yet, you must put aside at least 1/4 of your income towards a library, which costs 500 Gp.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
I think the pay is significantly out of perportion with the other jobs (particularly the magecrafter, which is by the feat).

Drop the GP/Week to just 1/4 per skill rank, and I think that's good (It starts off lower, but if you are a knowledge geek you'll eventualy pass up a crafter)

I'd also require more than 1 knowledge skill at 4. (at least 2)

Remove the use for only researching spells for the CPs and just give them to any sage. Seems reasonable.

Cut the library price in half as well, and you've matched the others we've had so far, though 1,000 may be right for a sage.

Velmont

First Post
Bront said:
Cut the library price in half as well, and you've matched the others we've had so far, though 1,000 may be right for a sage.

For gold per week, I would go for the more standard: 2.5 plus 1/4 the highest Knowledge skill modifier you have (ranks in Knowledge + Int modifier + other permanent bonuses).

And you could add: You can use bardic lore (or similar power) modifier instead of a knowledge modifier.

Also, as a life access to the library of Orussus worth 100 gp, you could take that as the starting fund instead of 1000 gp.

Endovior

First Post
Yeah, that is somewhat high, I guess... I was thinking of that as opposed to the DMG's 2 gold+ per day (making 14 per week), but I suppose we're looking for balance, here.

I was thinking of the more expensive library cost to balance the increased pay, but I've changed things.

Editted to reflect this; pay is now 1/4 total of all knowledge ranks, library is 500 gp, 2 craft points per week are provided.

orsal

LEW Judge
Endovior said:
Yeah, that is somewhat high, I guess... I was thinking of that as opposed to the DMG's 2 gold+ per day (making 14 per week), but I suppose we're looking for balance, here.

Are you thinking of in-game days or real-life days? Since we're not tracking time -- and couldn't do that consistently, given the wide range in pacing of different games -- the job system uses real-life time. So far, most job awards are based on standard rules with two real-life days replacing one in-game day. So if you're going to adapt any rule based on in-game days, use a similar conversion and you'll preserve balance.

Bront

The man with the probe
Velmont said:
For gold per week, I would go for the more standard: 2.5 plus 1/4 the highest Knowledge skill modifier you have (ranks in Knowledge + Int modifier + other permanent bonuses).

And you could add: You can use bardic lore (or similar power) modifier instead of a knowledge modifier.

Also, as a life access to the library of Orussus worth 100 gp, you could take that as the starting fund instead of 1000 gp.
I like including bardic lore, but we don't need to get that advanced.

The all knolwedge inclusion shows that a sage is more usefull and can command a higher salary when he knows more and a broader degree of stuff. I guess a human bard with an 18 int could buy 44 ranks of knolwedge skills at 1st level (but he wouldn't be able to use bardic music), but I don't see that as a problem, really.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Are you really a Sage if you only have 4 ranks in your area of sagacity? A Level 1 Blacksmith can have that many ranks. I would require at *least* 5 ranks, which is enough for the synergy.

Bront

The man with the probe
I might suggest requiring 5 ranks in 2 knowledge skills, though I guess earning 1 gold per week as a sage isn't unbalancing ;)

Remove ads