Sage Job

Rystil Arden

First Post
I dunno, it doesn't make sense for a Sage to get as many craft points as a Craftsman. I'm sure the synergies will be generous enough that it would be okay to have less.

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
Of course, a level 1 Sage could easily be receiving 8 GP per week or more. By allowing the Sage to amass ranks from several skills, it is inherently setting up for a disparity--almost like allowing a character to pursue more than one job at once, actually. Sure, you may need more ranks in skills to do more than one job at once, but you're getting paid more too.
If you require 5 ranks in 2 skills, you can't be level 1 and be a sage.

And I don't see it as a problem if someone wants to have tons of knowledge skills.

I might suggest droping the CP bonuses though.

Personaly, I like the 1/4th of all ranks.

Endovior

First Post
I do, too, actually... I think it fits well against the other jobs... the only thing is the high upward potential as opposed to the other jobs, which is what RA's complaining about.

Bront

The man with the probe
Endovior said:
I do, too, actually... I think it fits well against the other jobs... the only thing is the high upward potential as opposed to the other jobs, which is what RA's complaining about.
Yes, admitedly, but by the time it's abusable on a PC level, that's chump change.

Woho! My 10th level character earned 10 gold a week :\

Knight Otu

First Post
Endovior said:
It'd have to be balanced with more craft points... probably the same as a crafter, 1 per rank per week.

Incidentally, I was looking up the rules for spell research with craft points, but I can't seem to find them anywhere.
It's in the Craft point post, #2.
Researching Original Spells
A spellcaster of any type can research original spells. Doing so costs 1000 gold pieces and 100 Craft Points per level of the spell, and requires access to a library, temple or other institute appropriate for the character (it is assumed that Orussus has the necessary institutes for all character types). After that, the character must succeed at a Spellcraft check (DC 10 plus the spell's level). If the roll succeeds and the spell has been approved previously, the character learns the spell. Otherwise, the character must go through the research process again.

Spontaneous casters such as bards and sorcerers cannot exceed their spells known limit by researching a new spell. For 0 level spells, the costs are 500 gold pieces and 50 Craft Points.

Assisting in Spell Research
Characters can cooperate in spell research using the normal rules for assisting. Spellcasters are considered trained assistants, while non-spellcasters count as untrained assistants.

For the sage job pay, what about:
gp/week: 1/4 the highest Knowledge skill modifier you have (ranks in Craft + Int modifier + other permanent bonuses) plus 1? 1/2? 1/4? for each Knowledge skill you have at least at half the ranks as your highest knowledge skill.

Not really up to calculating what this would bring right now, though.

Bront

The man with the probe
Knight Otu said:
For the sage job pay, what about:
gp/week: 1/4 the highest Knowledge skill modifier you have (ranks in Craft + Int modifier + other permanent bonuses) plus 1? 1/2? 1/4? for each Knowledge skill you have at least at half the ranks as your highest knowledge skill.

Not really up to calculating what this would bring right now, though.
I'd do + 1 (I would not go less than 1/2), which admittedly could still pay more than a crafter, but it requires many more skill points. I think this is a good solution.

Rystil Arden

First Post
KO's solution is better for most levels, but it is actually worse for level 1 because it allows cross-class skills to make hitting 10 even easier (since 1 GP is what you are getting for your primary at level 1). What I'd do is give 1/4 ranks for primary, optionally 1/8 ranks for secondary (if you have a second area above 8 ranks or for level 1), +1 for every skill at least at 5 ranks. This is actually less restrictive than KO's solution in most cases, since you don't need to keep the tertiary skills at half max ranks, and it helps fix degeneracy at edge cases.

Bront

The man with the probe
That's workable, though you're talking about an exploit that would hurt the character in all other aspects other than the sage job.

Remove ads