• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sample Character request: Warrior/Mage

loisel

First Post
Nifft said:

I see what you're saying. From levels 11 through 20, you can pretend like you are using Reaping Strike.

Of course, it's not like having a fighter at-will, because then you'd pick something that gives you an advantage besides the damage on a miss. And then there's the problem of levels 1-10 and 21-30.

I dunno. I just think there would've been a better way to design this. The first multiclassing feat is so lame. Some people say it's too good because it's better than skill training. But at the same time, for me it fails to give me the feeling that I've really made a choice to multiclass. The main thing I get out of it is a new skill.

The power exchange feats are kinda okay... Maybe if the first feat had been an at-will power exchange, instead of a bonus skill and weak encounter power.

I'm not satisfied.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
loisel said:
I see what you're saying. From levels 11 through 20, you can pretend like you are using Reaping Strike.

Of course, it's not like having a fighter at-will
No, it's better, because I've Cursed the dude I'm hitting. So every hit will deal an extra +1d6, and starting at 11th level, every miss will deal 1d6+Con. That's better than what a Fighter could do. Of course, I'm not a Fighter -- I can't Mark, and I can't fill the role of Defender all that well. But who cares? I'm a Striker, and I'm damn good at it.

I will out-damage the Fighter, and for every foe I drop, I gain temporary HP. That's like what Fighters can do as Utility powers, isn't it? (Answer: yes, but they are limited to daily uses.)

And then, when I enter Iron Vanguard, every foe I drop will give me 11+ hit points, and heal me of damage equal to my Con score.

He's strong and playable from 1st level on up. He's awesome starting at 11th.

Cheers, -- N

Victim

First Post
Too bad I don't see any way to get an implement and use a two handed weapon. Polearm Gambit and the wizard's thunder powers that all have push would work so well together. Blast the people nearby, mark the ones that hit, and then they eat an AoO to get back into melee, and Uncanny Dodge reduce the impact of granting combat advantage.

Basic attacks upgrade at level 21 too, btw.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
This is a figher MC as a wizard.

He uses the Staff as an implement and a weapon. The challenge is to use only core PHB and not wait for sourcebook (There is a known upcoming feat that allows you to change your sword as an implement, just like the Tower mage paragon path).

Tiefling, fighter 20

STR : 20
DEX : 12
CON : 16
WIS : 10
INT : 20
CHA : 16

hp : 145

AC : 33
Will : 29
Fort : 29
Ref : 29

Trained Skills

Athletics +20
Arcana +20
Endurance +18
Intimidate +18

Basic Melee : 1D8+11

Feat

Hellfire Blood
Arcane Initiate
Ritual Caster
Weapon Focus
Novice Power
Acolyte Power
Adept Power
Armor specialization (Hide)
Fiery Rebuke
Blood Thirst
Iron Will
Fleet Footed

Powers (look them up! I won't type most of the fighter exploits)

At Will

Cleave
Scorching Burst
+21 VS reflex, 1D6+11, burst 1

Encounter

Infernal wrath /w fiery rebuke (+1 to hit +13 to damage)

Ray of Frost
+20 VS fortitude, 1D6+10, slow target
Silver Step (13)
Come and get it (7)
Combust (17)
+21 VS reflex, 5D6+11, burst 2, 20 square range
Spectral Ram
+20 VS reflex, 2D10, push 3, knock prone

Daily

Unyielding Avalanche (15)
Victorious Surge (9)

Acid Wave
+20 VS , 5D6+10, close blast 5, ongoing 10, save end
Prismatic Beams (too long to write, look it up)

Utility

Last Ditch evasion (10)
Unbreakable (6)
Boundless Endurance (2)

Resistance (12)
Gain resistance 25 to an element of your choice, minor action

Stoneskin
Resist all damage 10

Equipment :

Staff of fiery might +5
Curseforge darkhide armor +4
Amulet of false life +4

Can't be bothered to pick lesser items.

I'd say this guy is reasonably tough. Being the defender and standing in front of the dragon isn't as scary if you resist his breath and have stoneskin on. And you have too many minions mobbing you? Blow them away.

MindWanderer

First Post
loisel said:
Just a quick note. Lots of our gish characters use the Wizard of the Spiral Tower paragon path. This doesn't work, because p171, your longsword counts as an implement that you've specialized in. However, you can't specialize in an implement unless you're actually a wizard. Wizard training doesn't give you implement specialization.

So I think no gish in 4e. Unless you want a pure wizard with a token melee encounter attack power.
Can someone with the books confirm or deny this? I'm not sure whether WotST only lets you mimic an implement you have mastery with, and whether Arcane Initiate gives you Implement Mastery.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
It says that you can choose an implement (that you specialize in) and use the longsword as if itw as that implement.

It's the 'that you specialize in' that is confusing. It obviously means that if you have implement mastery with, say, a staff, you can use the sword and get the same bonus you had with the staff.

But if you don't have implement mastery, it doesn't follow that you can't use the sword as if it were a staff. It just means you get no additional bonuses. Implement mastery isn't stated as a prerequisite anywhere.

That One Guy

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
[sblock]
A character who combines the skills and abilities of both warrior and mage, able to fill the iconic roles of each, albeit neither as good a warrior as a pure fighter, nor as good a mage as a pure wizard. Flexibility and utility are inherent to the concept.

Key abilities to me would be:

- Proficient with a number of weapons, including traditional warrior weapons such as swords, bows, or polearms
- Proficient in at least light-to-medium armor, and able to use a shield. Ideally, able to cast spells in armor
- Sufficient toughness to be able to enter melee, if not tough enough to be the party's sole melee combatant
- Access to a mix of physical and knowledge/arcane skill information
- Able to cast spells in combat that can aid in defense, attack a single target, or have area offensive effects
- Able to cast utility spells outside of combat that can assist the party
- Be able to demonstrate the flavor of the above from very early -- ideally first level. None of this "I'm an arcane warrior, but I'm still working on the arcane part" to suddenly "Hey look, spells!". This can't be a "build" that only works at 20th level ... the concept needs to be coherent for the majority of the character's career.[/sblock]

Do not have the books, but I'll throw in 2 cents if that's alright.

[sblock]- Proficient with a number of weapons, including traditional warrior weapons such as swords, bows, or polearms
- Proficient in at least light-to-medium armor, and able to use a shield. Ideally, able to cast spells in armor
- Sufficient toughness to be able to enter melee, if not tough enough to be the party's sole melee combatant
- Access to a mix of physical and knowledge/arcane skill information
- Able to cast spells in combat that can aid in defense, attack a single target, or have area offensive effects
- Able to cast utility spells outside of combat that can assist the party
- Be able to demonstrate the flavor of the above from very early -- ideally first level. None of this "I'm an arcane warrior, but I'm still working on the arcane part" to suddenly "Hey look, spells!". This can't be a "build" that only works at 20th level ... the concept needs to be coherent for the majority of the character's career.

Half-Elf Fighter/Wizard
All the fighter proficiancies of weapons and armour. Two checks.
Can enter melee frontline style. Check.
Gets arcane w/ the multiclass feat. Check.
...that's an or, right? Give them two @Will as encounter spells (one probably an aoe and the other a single target zinger). At this point you won't be able to throw down buckets of magic per fight, but two spells should deal w/ swarms, ranged foes, and let you get into melee. Check-ish.
...unfortunately, no rituals to buff/do outside of combat goodness until level 2... No dice there.
The flavour of this spellblade I think will be satisfactory.[/sblock]

Night

First Post
Victim said:
Too bad I don't see any way to get an implement and use a two handed weapon. Polearm Gambit and the wizard's thunder powers that all have push would work so well together. Blast the people nearby, mark the ones that hit, and then they eat an AoO to get back into melee, and Uncanny Dodge reduce the impact of granting combat advantage.

Basic attacks upgrade at level 21 too, btw.

I think with a little planning ahead, you can mostly make this work with nothing more than the Quick Draw feat.

Remove ads