• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sarah Silverman leads class-action lawsuit against ChatGPT creator

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Well, sure. But there are better pie-in-the-sky ideas we could just decide to implement. We can barely even get the rich to pay taxes in the first place so getting them to pay more taxes for saving money due to automation is a non-starter. All that's assuming we survive the climate catastrophe.

Which as covered in the other thread, is a great idea until the Goverment decides it doesnt like your politics and/or behavior and cuts you off.

Be a good citizen and earn your social credits, or maybe you wont get to book a flight eh comrade?
Wow, cynicism coming hard from both directions.
Might as well start sharpening your shoulder spikes then.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
If it’s possible to replace a human worker with automation, they will be. And automation is getting better by the day. It’s weird that everyone knows this will lead to jobless and homeless people but don’t seem to care. That it might affect you later than others doesn’t mean you’re going to be unaffected. So who’s going to buy all the stuff once everyone’s out of work?
I’d suggest that the workers currently on the chopping block sure didn’t seem very empathetic to all the workers before them that lost their jobs to either automation or regulation.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I’d suggest that the workers currently on the chopping block sure didn’t seem very empathetic to all the workers before them that lost their jobs to either automation or regulation.
Entirely depends on the individual you're talking about. Some writers and artists, sure. Others have been writing and making art depicting the evils of automation for decades. Generations of writers and artists have made art depicting the evils of automation.

Scribe

Legend
“It won’t work because I’m a cynic” isn’t actually a compelling argument.

There are example of both things happening, in different countries as I'm sure you are aware. Is it cynicism when it happens?

The irony for myself is that I've voted left (Canadian left mind you!) for the last 20 years, until this year and as recently as 2 years ago thought UBI was a great idea.

FrogReaver

Entirely depends on the individual you're talking about. Some writers and artists, sure. Others have been writing and making art depicting the evils of automation for decades. Generations of writers and artists have made art depicting the evils of automation.
There’s always individual exceptions. I meant as a class.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
There’s always individual exceptions. I meant as a class.
What class? Workers? Writers? Artists? Generally any one of those three will be far, far more sympathetic to someone losing their job than other classes of people, say the owner class or capitalist class. If anything, I'd say you have it backwards. As a class writers and artists are more sympathetic and the ones who are not are the exceptions.

FrogReaver

What class? Workers? Writers? Artists? Generally any one of those three will be far, far more sympathetic to someone losing their job than other classes of people, say the owner class or capitalist class. If anything, I'd say you have it backwards. As a class writers and artists are more sympathetic and the ones who are not are the exceptions.
Maybe we live in alternate universes. I remember alot of those very same people getting behind the idea that coal miners who lost their jobs can just learn to code. And that’s just one recent example.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Artists were roped before AI came along, and will be afterwards as well because as a society, the west doesn't value it. However, as the west dies, and the east leans in to watch the light die in its eyes, they will whisper: "Your soul is mine."

Li-Jingjing-09.jpg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads