• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sarah Silverman leads class-action lawsuit against ChatGPT creator

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Maybe we live in alternate universes. I remember alot of those very same people getting behind the idea that coal miners who lost their jobs can just learn to code. And that’s just one recent example.
Maybe we do live in alternate universes. Where I'm from having sympathy for someone does not include being okay with their continued exploitation and continuing to work jobs that are inherently dangerous (accidents, cave ins, etc) and inherently deadly to the worker long term (black lung, etc). Closing the coal mines and retraining those workers for just about anything else is the sympathetic thing to do. It also slows the amount of carbon we're dumping into the atmosphere. Note how similar sentiments cannot be said for writers or artists where the worst they have to deal with (besides poverty) is carpal tunnel.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Maybe we do live in alternate universes. Where I'm from having sympathy for someone does not include being okay with their continued exploitation and continuing to work jobs that are inherently dangerous (accidents, cave ins, etc) and inherently deadly to the worker long term (black lung, etc). Closing the coal mines and retraining those workers for just about anything else is the sympathetic thing to do. It also slows the amount of carbon we're dumping into the atmosphere. Note how similar sentiments cannot be said for writers or artists where the worst they have to deal with (besides poverty) is carpal tunnel.
Case in point.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
My fear is that it will catch me as a false positive as I am not a natural english speaker, and professor here with autism also was shown as being AI; which is bad, as it becomes a new way of tech-discrimination.
There's a very racist, cultural-ist "garbage in, garbage out" problem with most automated recognition systems, be they visual or linguistic.
"Everyone" won't be out of work because for lots of menial labor jobs, robots are just no an efficient use of resources. You have to fuel and fix robots.
For now, yes.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
The other alternative would be to create a parall economy so people can survive and even possibly thrive.

My fear is that it will catch me as a false positive as I am not a natural english speaker, and professor here with autism also was shown as being AI; which is bad, as it becomes a new way of tech-discrimination.
That's a problem with most automated recognition systems not things like Chatgpt, I linked a couple of articles about it and a university's stance on using the programs to check for cheating/plagiarism.

bottom line imo: This was going to happen sooner or later and like most things tech-wise that have wider implications we kicked the can down the road as far as we could regulation wise before we ran out of room to kick the can.

It's here to stay unless by some miracle you can everyone and every company to reject it, slap a ban on it, and bury the technology.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Consider this. An economy only works because citizens, most of whom are poor or relatively low income) have the money to buy what the rich businesses are selling.

How rich does apple stay if 99% of their customers suddenly cannot afford an iPhone due to mass scale automation? Well, they lower the price and they can afford to do so because they also did mass automation.

In short, if consumers in mass lose their incomes then businesses lose theirs too.

Let's be honest here. It's coming. We all knew this was coming. I remember the 80's when all the factory jobs vanished. Jobs do disappear. It does happen. And, it's going to happen again. I'm pretty sure that AI will take my job. The race is now to see if I can retire before then. Twenty years ago when Google Translate hit the streets, every ESL teacher knew that the clock started on the end of ESL teaching as a career.

And I have no doubt that ten to fifteen years from now, the ESL industry in Asia will collapse. Why bother spending billions of tax dollars to pay foreign workers to teach English in your schools when an app on the phone will do real time conversation translation? And that's absolutely coming. It's a question of when.
I think more like five to ten, if that.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
That's a problem with most automated recognition systems not things like Chatgpt, I linked a couple of articles about it and a university's stance on using the programs to check for cheating/plagiarism.

bottom line imo: This was going to happen sooner or later and like most things tech-wise that have wider implications we kicked the can down the road as far as we could regulation wise before we ran out of room to kick the can.

It's here to stay unless by some miracle you can everyone and every company to reject it, slap a ban on it, and bury the technology.
Yes, it is here to stay, though these are the "wild west" days, its parameters are being hammered out now, that is what the current lawsuits are about. Quote John Adams: "The US will be a country of laws, not men."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads