• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sarah Silverman leads class-action lawsuit against ChatGPT creator

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Let's be honest here. It's coming. We all knew this was coming. I remember the 80's when all the factory jobs vanished. Jobs do disappear. It does happen. And, it's going to happen again. I'm pretty sure that AI will take my job. The race is now to see if I can retire before then. Twenty years ago when Google Translate hit the streets, every ESL teacher knew that the clock started on the end of ESL teaching as a career.

And I have no doubt that ten to fifteen years from now, the ESL industry in Asia will collapse. Why bother spending billions of tax dollars to pay foreign workers to teach English in your schools when an app on the phone will do real time conversation translation? And that's absolutely coming. It's a question of when.

Lots of lots of jobs are about to become obsolete. While @Bohandas is stating things perhaps a bit too strongly, they aren't entirely wrong either.

The next ten years are going to be really, really ugly.
Definitely for art, the stock art places like adobe and shutterstock are already getting flooded with absolute garbage. We've seen chatbots show up in groups and people want that? I guess I am getting old where I do not want to be in groups flooded by chatbot posts.

Though another engineer and I were laughing about AI, I might have a fancy title such as managing engineer, and he's in research at argonne except we are both just document generators, even then I am only a certified financial manager, one reason I despise things like spreadsheets for games, or bean counting. I can see some of the workload being shifted, that is great, and generally stem fields in the US are collapsing anyways. It's like I remember working with an EE from the UK and he was like "after me there is nobody". It's true, UK doesn't have EE's anymore, read it in an engineering magazine.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Out of curiosity, for those more familiar, what is the difference between how an image generation AI works versus an LLM works? As I understand it, Midjourney copies style but doesn't actually copy images. That's why you can tell it to draw something novel. Does ChatGPT actually copy text?
Midjourney copies images just like LLMs copy text. That’s why you end up with watermarks and logos. The images Midjourney produces only appear novel because it’s drawing from more discrete sources. It’s still a plagiarism engine. Yes, ChatGPT copies text. That’s what these programs do. Take from multiple sources, copy them, cobble them together, and spit out content. It’s just harder with text because it’s harder to model coherent language than shaded pixels to produce images.

the Jester

Legend
This is where the heart of the fight really resides. It has less to do with AI, in my opinion, and more to do with the exploitation of the users and user monitoring by social media and other tech companies that have a large role in mediating connection to the internet in general.
I am firmly of the opinion that the user should be getting more of a return than just access to the platforms.
The situation is not going to change until people become more aware of the level of monitoring and start objecting to it.
I wish everybody realized that if there's no product being sold to you on a website, your information is being sold as the product to others.

Reynard

Legend
Midjourney copies images just like LLMs copy text. That’s why you end up with watermarks and logos. The images Midjourney produces only appear novel because it’s drawing from more discrete sources. It’s still a plagiarism engine. Yes, ChatGPT copies text. That’s what these programs do. Take from multiple sources, copy them, cobble them together, and spit out content. It’s just harder with text because it’s harder to model coherent language than shaded pixels to produce images.
That isn't how Midjourney works. Midjourney reads images and connects what it reads to tags. It gets watermarks and logos because it reads those like any other element.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Huh, using the ability to generate accurate summaries isn't the "this was trained from that" legal slam dunk that the article is presenting as the author's belief. I'm sure there are plenty of reviews, forums, book clubs, and discussions, where that information can be gotten. And likely already in a format much closer to a summary than the whole book by itself would have been.

Remove ads