• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Saurials in 4e?

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Was looking through my old D&D stuff, and I came across Azure Bonds with the image of the Saurial on the front. Whatever happened to Saurials in 3e Realms? Will they be a race in 4e Realms or is there a chance that Dragonborn will just take their place?

Khuxan

First Post
JVisgaitis said:
Was looking through my old D&D stuff, and I came across Azure Bonds with the image of the Saurial on the front. Whatever happened to Saurials in 3e Realms?

They were updated in a Dragon Magazine. Were they also in the Player's Guide to Faerun?

Will they be a race in 4e Realms or is there a chance that Dragonborn will just take their place?

Saurials never particularly impressed me. Given the dragonborn have a very similar backstory (dragonborn and saurials both magically appeared in the Realms one day), I have a feeling dragonborn will replace them.

Cmarco

First Post
I enjoyed the little role-playing abilities of the saurials (IE: projecting smells which indicate mood), and I like the concept of Dragonbait. I would hope that somewhere down the line they present the saurials as an optional race on DDI, but right now I wouldn't hold my breath. Still, cool idea.

Subumloc

First Post
I recall the 3e saurials being in the web enhancement for Serpent Kingdoms... but besides that, I don't think they were anywhere (I may be wrong however).

Wrox

First Post
Saurials will remain distinct from the Dragonborn in the 4E Realms and their fate will be mentioned briefly in the FRCG.

Daedrova

First Post
Saurials are present in the last 3rd ed FR adventure ‘Anauroch: The Empire of Shade.’
Te PCs in the game I run (using said adventure, obviously) just encountered a Saurial…

(spoiler)
in the form of a lich, also known as The Teraseer. He was the being that originally helped the Arcanists utilize the Nether Scrolls, and refers to the events surrounding Shade’s history as his “Netherese experiment.”

… and evidence of more of them in the ancient city of Oreme as they quest to undo a shadow ritual/Mythal that is destroying the Weave.

We know that the developers and story writers have been moving us toward the 4th edition time line, so the presence of Saurials in a major FR book such as this might be an indication.

Voss

First Post
Carnivorous_Bean said:
It would seem odd to have two races of lizards .... I mean, how many scales do you need? ;) But I guess the oddity is going to exist ....

Two? Last time I checked there were about a dozen lizardy-humanoids races running around.Of course, 95% of the humanoid races are horribly redundant and fill the same niche.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads