• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Savage Worlds = 4th edition Canada

Asmor

First Post
Just an amusing thought I had... It's common for people (of every political bent) to threaten to move to Canada because they disagree with how something is being handled by whichever administration happens to be in power at the time the threat is being made.

Now, a lot of people are threatening to move to Savage Worlds because of various things WotC is doing (Flavor, crunch, GSL, etc). Thus, Savage Worlds is 4th edition Canada.

smootrk

First Post
I am one who has threatened such a move (as well as to D&D derivatives such as Basic Fantasy RPG and non-D&D Star Frontiers)....

... but unlike many who have said such, I have actually bought the Savage Worlds Explorer Edition in preparation for such move. I must admit, the cost (only $10 print or $10 pdf) was a huge plus in the consideration... and the add-on settings have a lot of really cool flavor not seen anywhere else. You can do pretty much anything with the rules, and everything runs pretty smoothly with a minimum of tweaking.

Call me Canadian!

Crothian

First Post
Moving from 3.x to Savage Worlds is a pretty big jump. If I were to do that I'd find a game that is a little more like D&D. SW is a fine system but it is very different in rules, assumptions, and game play.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Additionally, it shares many points with 4E that make 4E a turn-off for some, namely:
  • Very abstract damage (damage save-like mechanic)
  • NPCs and monsters are built-as-needed, without real rules
  • Mainly combat related magic system
  • Minions Extras
  • PCs are the stars and far above normal folks (Wild Cards)

I think D&D-derived games are a better "Canada", mainly Pathfinder.

Cheers, LT.

Caedrus

Explorer
Lord Tirian said:
I think D&D-derived games are a better "Canada", mainly Pathfinder.

Cheers, LT.

I am using the best of both worlds: Savage Pathfinder.

I may have moved to Canada, but I still visit the States.

pawsplay

Hero
If you like the sound of 4e, but don't like 4e specifically, Savage Worlds would be a good fit. It's simple, fast-moving, prefers to define abilities and powers in specific, write-it-on-a-notecard fashion, and of course heroic.

S'mon

Legend
I bought Savage Worlds a while back and it's cool, but I think I like the old D&D feel to much to move to Canada. I'm more likely to go exclusively to the retro-clones - C&C, BECM D&D (not a retro clone), Labyrinth Lord and Basic Fantasy. Hmm, what's that? Moving to England? :)

Derro

First Post
Please, no.

I'm a Canadian and I want nothing to do with Savage Worlds. There was such buzz about it here that I checked it out. Imagine my chagrin when I saw it was generic Deadlands.

I'm not knocking other peeps choices, do what you want. But I'd rather roll naked in a field of d4s than ever play Deadlands or anything derived from it, again.

If I go anywhere it'll be Mongoose Runequest or True20. And even all that seems unlikely since I've finally forged d20 into something that I like.

Turanil

First Post
I agree that Savage Worlds is a great game. Now, I am not sure it would run fantasy with a D&D flavor well. Especially where magic is concerned. I find it's much better for doing pulp and western adventures. That is, Indiana Jones and Van Helsing much better than LotR or Conan the Barbarian.

Remove ads