Savant: Basic Class Information

A brand new 5E class over on EN5ider! Savants are first and foremost experts, unique even when compared to arcane or divine sages. Brilliant detectives, iconic martial artists, and adventurous physicians are counted among their number, each utilizing brilliance where others rely on magic or brute power. For a savant, saving the day means turning leverage and knowledge into weaponry. By Jeremiah McCoy; illustrated by Alba Palacio.

A brand new 5E class over on EN5ider! Savants are first and foremost experts, unique even when compared to arcane or divine sages. Brilliant detectives, iconic martial artists, and adventurous physicians are counted among their number, each utilizing brilliance where others rely on magic or brute power. For a savant, saving the day means turning leverage and knowledge into weaponry. By Jeremiah McCoy; illustrated by Alba Palacio.

savant.jpg

Recently on EN5ider:

• #246. Savant: Basic Class Information. A brand new 5E class! Savants are first and foremost experts, unique even when compared to arcane or divine sages. Brilliant detectives, iconic martial artists, and adventurous physicians are counted among their number, each utilizing brilliance where others rely on magic or brute power. For a savant, saving the day means turning leverage and knowledge into weaponry. By Jeremiah McCoy; illustrated by Alba Palacio.
  • #245. Deidre's Ghost. Deirdre's Ghost is a large vessel, sunk long ago. Recently, it has appeared on a rocky shore. This plug-in location includes a description, and plot hooks which include sinister academics, a rusted golem, a ghost, a sea hag, and some kraken eggs... by Ambrose Ingram; illustrated by Rachel Maduro.
  • #244. Bloodweaver: Advanced Class Information. Following on from last month's Bloodweaver: Basic, and the enormous article Bloodweaver: Tome of Disciplines, we present to you the Crimson Witch and the Scarlet Reaper, a pair of sanguine paths for the bloodweaver to walk! Learn to wield death curses, blood arsenals, and more! by Chris Rippee; illustrated by Julio Racho.
  • #243. ZEITGEIST #5 (Part 3) - Cauldron Born. The critically-acclaimed adventure path continues! In this thread, the party reacts to the surprise attacks by Zubov’s group. Zubov’s plan is to sow panic amongst the citizens of Flint by perpetrating various attacks throughout the city. By diverting resources away from the peace talks, Zubov hopes to launch a more direct attack on a newly opened subrail station, giving him access to a tunnel that passes near Hotel Aurum. A well-timed explosion will send the building tumbling down.
  • #242. Ability Check Criticals. Rolling a natural 20 or a natural 1 has never been so much fun! With these ability check critical effects, there are positive and negative tables for physical, social, medicine, knowledge, and arcane style checks. By Jeff Gomez; illustrated by Herman Lau.
  • #241. Bloodweaver: Tome of Disciplines. This enormous, 15-page article, contains a whole host of disciplines for the Bloodweaverclass introduced in EN5ider earlier this week!
  • #240. Bloodweaver: Basic Class Information. Bloodweavers use the primal power coursing through their veins to enhance their own abilities, heal or bolster allies, and debilitate or kill their foes. Many fear them for their control over the substance of life but those that can see past this superstitious dread often find powerful allies.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Very interesting, I do love Intelligence focused classes, especially ones that don't go down the caster route. This is really nice as an Int-based fighter replacement (although I assume the other subclasses will be less fighter-like.)

I do have a few questions, mostly around tricks.

1) Several of the tricks (Disarming Flourish, Guiding Steps) activate on a melee weapon hit. I assume this is part of the weapon attack and costs no other action. I ask only because some of the other tricks (Draw Out, Redirect) have an additional cost (bonus action for Draw Out, reaction for Redirect) in addition to requiring a melee weapon attack. I'm assuming the additional action cost is because Draw Out and Redirect seem stronger than Disarming Flourish or Guiding Steps.

2) Diversion: Does it require an action? It doesn't seem quite powerful enough to require a full action.

3) Marksman's Interruption (Adversary): Does the alternative use (during the attack action) create an additional attack, or add the movement penalty application to the original attack? I'm assuming the latter.

4) Smart Defense (Adversary): Is the Intelligence bonus in addition to the normal Dex bonus, or a replacement? It's a little weak if a replacement, but might be a little too strong at higher levels if an addition. A medium armored Adversary could have a 21 baseline AC at 1st level (15 breastplate + 2 Dex + 2 Int + 2 shield), comparable to a defense oriented fighter or paladin, and that scales up to a 24 by 13th level (assuming a 20 Int, but the class has little reason not to prioritize Int). I mean, it is a martial class, so I have no problem with it being in the same area as a Fighter/Paladin, but the Fighter/Paladin AC doesn't scale except with magic items.

Overall, very nice, I'm interested to see the other subclasses.

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
Very interesting, I do love Intelligence focused classes, especially ones that don't go down the caster route. This is really nice as an Int-based fighter replacement (although I assume the other subclasses will be less fighter-like.)

1) Several of the tricks (Disarming Flourish, Guiding Steps) activate on a melee weapon hit. I assume this is part of the weapon attack and costs no other action. I ask only because some of the other tricks (Draw Out, Redirect) have an additional cost (bonus action for Draw Out, reaction for Redirect) in addition to requiring a melee weapon attack. I'm assuming the additional action cost is because Draw Out and Redirect seem stronger than Disarming Flourish or Guiding Steps.

2) Diversion: Does it require an action? It doesn't seem quite powerful enough to require a full action.

3) Marksman's Interruption (Adversary): Does the alternative use (during the attack action) create an additional attack, or add the movement penalty application to the original attack? I'm assuming the latter.

4) Smart Defense (Adversary): Is the Intelligence bonus in addition to the normal Dex bonus, or a replacement? It's a little weak if a replacement, but might be a little too strong at higher levels if an addition. A medium armored Adversary could have a 21 baseline AC at 1st level (15 breastplate + 2 Dex + 2 Int + 2 shield), comparable to a defense oriented fighter or paladin, and that scales up to a 24 by 13th level (assuming a 20 Int, but the class has little reason not to prioritize Int). I mean, it is a martial class, so I have no problem with it being in the same area as a Fighter/Paladin, but the Fighter/Paladin AC doesn't scale except with magic items.

Woot woot! :D

1) Yup on all counts. Reductionist mechanics FTW!

2) No action listed, no action required (it does get the "on your turn" designation though)

3) Does not grant an additional attack (it's part of an Attack action and if it did give another roll, it'd say so)

4) It's an addition. Breastplates cost 400 gold and savants do not begin play with them, but noted all the same (maybe drop that to light armor only--I'll see what Jeremiah thinks)

technoir

Explorer
These are good questions. I will do my best to answer.

Your assessment is correct. The Disarming Flourish and Guiding Steps are intended to cost no extra action. The decision as to which ones would and wouldn't require an action was based on my feeling of their relative power when I expected them to take effect, and the overall action economy. I hope I got them where they are effective and fun, but not overpowering.

Good catch on Diversion. I went back and reviewed my various revisions looking for what it was originally listed as and it looks like it went through the various revisions that way. That is my bad. I would say the assumption I never wrote down is it cost a Bonus action, but it was also a different mechanic for how you picked up the trick. At this point, I would say it is a free action, rather than costing a full action.

It adds the movement penalty to the original attack

Correct, it is in addition to the normal Dex Bonus to ac. The idea is you analyze the angles of attack and position yourself to be in just the right place to be harder to hit.

Thanks for the questions. I enjoyed making the class and I hope people get some use out of it. The advanced article will have more skill based subclass and more healer like one as well.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Thinking about it a little more, I kind of like Smart Defense as "+1 AC in armor, use Int instead of Dex when wearing Light/Medium Armor.". That keeps Light Armor and Medium Armor comfortably ahead of an unarmored character who doesn't max Dex as well as Int, and lets the savant focus on a secondary stat other than Dex if they desire. It also keeps AC in the baseline 20-21 AC range which is where defense oriented characters typically end up.

technoir

Explorer
Thinking about it a little more, I kind of like Smart Defense as "+1 AC in armor, use Int instead of Dex when wearing Light/Medium Armor.". That keeps Light Armor and Medium Armor comfortably ahead of an unarmored character who doesn't max Dex as well as Int, and lets the savant focus on a secondary stat other than Dex if they desire. It also keeps AC in the baseline 20-21 AC range which is where defense oriented characters typically end up.

I am comfortable with this. It seems to keep the idea behind it and seems perfectly workable. That is to say, I wanted originally for them to be strictly armorless like a monk. The Armor is a compromise which was a good compromise.

technoir

Explorer
What say you to dropping Medium armor from Fighting Style: Smart Defense?
I think it works with medium armor just with the Int bonus instead of Dex, as per the suggestion he put in the thread. I do like the notion that it expands the builds people might shoot for.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads