• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Save Progressions

Aus_Snow

First Post
Just to get this out of the way to start with: I don't use the following system, but I think it could work for those who wish to stick more closely to 3e. Right then. . .

Each class has either one each of good (valued at 2 points), medium (1 point) and poor (0 points) saves, or all medium (3 x 1 point.) IOW, a total of 3.

Good = 6/12 per level, plus 2 at 1st level.
Medium = 5/12 per level, plus 1 at 1st level.
Poor = 4/12 per level.

So, the Monk would now have all medium. Fighter could have medium Will, for example. Cleric and Druid would have medium Fort.

A bit of other compensation/rebalancing might be needed for some classes (not Cleric, Druid or Fighter, IMO!) of course.

I get the feeling I've already posted this somewhere. Oh well. Any thoughts about it?

Kerrick

First Post
Just one thing: What would stop everyone from simply taking medium saves? It's only 3 points below a good save at L20, and you can easily boost that with items and the high stats. For instance, a cleric's Will save (moderate) would be around +16, vs. +20 for a high Will save. His Reflex would be around +13 vs. +7 (so a 3-point difference between high and low saves, vs. 13 points - that's damn good, IMO). This, of course, leads to the obvious conclusion: just give everyone the medium save progression.

Me, I just boosted the low save to 5/12 (it's actually level * 0.4), so it's a bit higher overall.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Um, well, it ends up precisely even at 1st, as well as at 20th.

1st: 2/1/0 vs. 1/1/1 (so, 3)
20th: 12/9/6 vs. 9/9/9 (so, 27)

Unless I'm not quite grokking what you're meaning. Because, as I understand it, having +3 / +0 / -3 variance from medium, or simply none at all, is equally good. . . :hmm:

Or, put another way, how is a +3 somewhere not worth a -3 elsewhere?

Also, 'what would stop them' ? Well, PCs don't just get to choose. Their classes still dictate what save they get; they'd just be slightly different, that's all.

Kerrick

First Post
Um, well, it ends up precisely even at 1st, as well as at 20th.

1st: 2/1/0 vs. 1/1/1 (so, 3)
20th: 12/9/6 vs. 9/9/9 (so, 27)

Unless I'm not quite grokking what you're meaning. Because, as I understand it, having +3 / +0 / -3 variance from medium, or simply none at all, is equally good. . . :hmm:
What I meant was, a cleric's Will save using the existing rules is around +20 (making basic assumptions for Wisdom, magic items, etc.) vs. +16 for your system. Likewise, the Reflex save is +7 vs. +13 - so there's a 3-point difference between high and low saves with your system, vs. a 13-point difference with 3.5's. With a 3-point average difference, though, there's little point in having differing progressions - hence my suggestion to simply use a medium progression for everyone, a la 4E. I dunno, really. This is just my opinion, but I like a little greater variance. The 40% rule, along with fractional saves, allows the lower save to keep up with the high save - there's only a 4-point difference between the base saves at L20 (+12 vs. +8); with all the other modifiers, it ends up being around 5-6, IIRC. That's large enough to make an actual difference without handicapping the PCs.

Or, put another way, how is a +3 somewhere not worth a -3 elsewhere?
You could still give them different saves (frex, fighters get high Fort, medium Ref, and low Will), and their high and low saves would be around 3 points apart. The only problem I can see (and this would really require playtesting to prove) is that high saves become auto-saves at higher levels; but, since all the saves are closer, you could simply boost all DCs and have a reasonable chance of challenging the PCs.

Hereticus

First Post
With so many characters going multi-class, I figured it was easier to progress all characters (regardless of class) at Level/2 rather than the various good/poor progressions.

Remove ads