• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Saves as new Abilities?

Nyeshet

First Post
An odd idea occurred to me recently. What if the saves were treated as ability scores - set at first level and increased thereafter only by magic items / spells (temporarily) or by the once every 4th level increase to an ability score (permanent)?

Suddenly you lose the situation of high level character drinking cyanide without effect, walking through disease ridden towns in full confidence that they cannot catch whatever it is, and so forth.

On the other hand, this would require a reworking of several things in the system - saves for the various creatures comes to mind first, but I am sure there are other factors as well I am forgetting at the moment.

Maldor

First Post
Suddenly you lose the situation of high level character drinking cyanide without effect, walking through disease ridden towns in full confidence that they cannot catch whatever it is, and so forth.

this would still happen at the high level you mention these effects are not ment for higher levels PCs minor spells cure disease and poison with easy at much lower level then the high saves are likly the come in to play.

and is walking though a town a adventure in your world something you spend alot of time roleplaying and where did this disease come for many good churchs for free cure disease in the citys

plus you would find that your big bads drop like flies to the save or die magics and you PCs to which gets old real quick.

that side i like the pioson rules in swashbucker much better they are more realistic and can make some cool assiness plots

Meeki

First Post
What I foresee happening is your low level pc's will never fail a save and your high level PC's wouldn't leave home without +save spells and defensive spells oozing out of all their pores. Permanent death wards would be a staple and classes like monk and paladin would fall out of favor quickly, unless of course you tweaked the monk to give bonuses to saves and allow the paladin's abilities to apply to the save stat.

It is a neat idea, and I think it would really make spell casting more dangerous than it already is at high levels, but on the flip side classes like fighter would be able to survive spells that require more than fort saves, then again that is the sacrifice for being a fighter, same with wizard having only will.

From what I can gather you don't like the power curve of the game?

Nyeshet

First Post
Meeki said:
From what I can gather you don't like the power curve of the game?
No, I just dislike the way poisons and diseases are handled and some of the ways saves are handled.

Initially I just broke down some of the saves into pairs. Fortitude became Fortitude (based on Con, vs diseases, poisons, etc) and Endurance (based on Str, vs fatigue, endurance checks for forced marches, long distance swimming, etc). Will was broken more significantly into Will (based on Cha, vs charms, fear, compulsions, etc), Perception (based on Wis, vs illusions, etc), and Sanity (a new save, vs Horror, Sanity checks as used in Ravenloft). Reflex was left as it was, as it only has one use (moving out of the way), and its problems are more due to the many things associated with Dex rather than the Reflex save itself. And so the Dexterity ability score itself was divided in twain - Dex (for digits / limb movements) and Agility (for whole body movements), with the skills divided between the two, and non-skills similarly divided between the two. This seems to work - more or less, but there is still some problems in how saves are assigned the various classes. And nothing has been done in the above to address the problems of diseases and poisons.

I know that any change will propogate through the whole system, requiring alterations and refinements here and there to keep a semblance of balance (true balance being an illusion, with or without changes), but I'm not bothered by having to work to make such changes. I already use Elements of Magic instead of the slot & x/day system - which itself required notable changes before / in running some monsters.

Then, it occurred to me one day. Poisons and Diseases are partly less worrysome become of the fact that the saves to deal with them are always increasing. What if they did not increase? Ability scores do not increase all that much. They are static except for rare permanent increases (every four levels) and temporary increases (due to items and spells). If saves were like ability scores, it would also allow more variation in classes. A rogue who often uses poisons could put a higher score in their fort save than in their reflex if they wish - changing the feel of the class but for a believable reason. Or, if they entered poisons later, they could choose to increase their fort save rather than some other ability / save to reflect their new approach in life and its effect upon their character (exposure creating gradual increase in resistance).

One thing I'm considering is separating the saves from the ability scores but treating them similarly. So every two levels either an ability score or a save would increase by one, as chosen by the player. So, for example, perhaps at level 2 and every 4th level thereafter the player would choose to increase one of their save scores by +1, while (as normal) at level 4 and every 4th level thereafter they would similarly increase an ability score by +1.

Poisons and Diseases would need their DCs modified a bit, perhaps, as otherwise many upper level ones would become - as someone mentioned - save or die effects. Otherwise I do not see much of an issue with this.

Last edited:

FireLance

Legend
Nyeshet said:
No, I just dislike the way poisons and diseases are handled and some of the ways saves are handled.
Probably the simplest way to handle this is to roll a Constitution check instead of a saving throw against poison and disease.

Remove ads