• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Saves For Multiclassing

Sylrae

First Post
I came up with a fix for Saves and Multiclassing. It's based on the regular system for determining saves (specifically the bad save), but doesnt allow the exploit of the level 1 +2 bump.

Regular System:
1/3*level = Bad Saves
1/2*level+2 = Good Saves
5/12*level+1 = Medium Saves
I made medium saves as directly halfway between the two, for use in the regular system.
this gives totals of 6.67, 9.33, and 12.00 at level 20.

My New System - based on the old bad-save total:
1/3*level = Bad Saves
2/3*level = Good Saves
1/2*level = Medium Saves
Again, medium is directly between the two.
this gives totals of 6.67, 10, and 13.33 at level 20.

I also have 2 other tweaks in case someone doesnt like the increase from 12.00 to 13.33 for good saves.

Based on the old good-save total:
3/10*level = Bad Saves
6/10*level = Good Saves
9/20*level = Medium Saves
this gives totals of 6.00, 9.00, and 12.00 at 20

and finally

Based on the old good AND bad save totals:
1/3*level = Bad Saves
6/10*level = Good Saves
7/15*level = Medium Saves
this gives totals of 6.67, 9.33, and 12.00 at 20.
As you can see, this gives the most similar results you'll get to the original system, though I prefer the cleaner fractions of 1/3, 1/2, and 2/3.

Feel free to comment or use any of these three alternate systems.

Hawken

First Post
I think your third set was how one of the Star Wars rules did it; either D20 or Sage, can't remember right now. But they had Poor, Good and an Average save that was somewhere in-between.

For my systems, I do this:
Good saves = +0.5 per level.
Poor saves = +0.4 per level.

Round down to whole number. At 1st (character) level, the character gets a one-time +2 bonus to his Good saves. Good saves do not get this bump when they multi-class or go into a prestige class.

This also mitigates one of the weaknesses of multiclassing in that you still get something added to your saves instead of that disappointing +0.

I have a similar formula for BAB as well.

Bladesinger_Boy

First Post
It's kind of unclear to me: do these systems necessarily use fractional BAB, or does each save value from each separate class get rounded down to a discrete value? I like the idea of fractional rules getting built-in to the system.

This might be an area where taking a page from the book of 4th Ed solves things. Okay, so all characters regardless of class progress all three saves at +1/2 per character level (+0 at 1st, +1 at 2nd, +1 at 3rd, +2 at 4th, etc). Also, upon taking a new class (whether a core class or a prestige class), characters get another +2 to apply to a single save or divide into two +1s on two different saves. You could also apply this bonus to "good" saves, so Fighters would have to get +2 to fortitude, while Ranger could get +2 fort or +2 reflex or +1 to both fort and reflex. This reduces higher saves while also boosting weaker saves.

Another point this brings up: what feats or PrCs have base saves as a req? What stuff would have to be retooled?

If we wanted to do something like this for BAB, how? Saves have only two value streams (2+x/2 and 0+x/3) and are closer in values, while BAB have three streams (x, 3x/4, x/2) that end much further apart. The 4th Ed values for BAB are 1/2 per level and that is simply too low in 3.5. Maybe 3/4 with some adjustments? But changing BAB means adjusting a LOT of prestige class; some kind of flat rule?

Sadrik

First Post
I have just said to hell with it you get +1/2 level, period. No class bonuses applied on top of everything. Under this system multi-classing is a snap, 12th level character? +6 saves + stats and other bonuses. It is easy peasy, I went for simple on this because I decided trying to match the 2-12 and 0-6 is not necisary. I also wanted to shore up the problems at upper level in saves not scaling appropriately (+10 is better than +6).

Remove ads