Scales of War #1 Rescue at Rivenroar (Full)

tiornys

Explorer
Yeah, there are lots of fun Themes to choose from.

I am debating between Wizard's Apprentice (Freggo talks about his Wizard mentor often enough) and Chevalier, which seems to be the theme closest to a character trying to be a hero. I don't really like the horse-riding part of Chevalier though, and the Apprentice crunch appeals slightly more, so I think I'm going with that.
Wizard's Apprentice sounds awesome for Freggo :)

For Ah-Shahran, the Seer Theme seems to be the most natural match, but the Cast Fortune power might be tricky in PBP. It seems like the sort of power that would result in enthusiastic geeky planning by the power-gamers at the table. On the other hand, maybe it would be a good think to encourage us to plan a bit together. The Noble theme doesn't seem to match the manic, slightly insane but compassionate warrior with ghost-animal friends thing. Though I suppose it could just be another personality that comes out from time to time. The Alchemist theme would represent another facet to add to the already multi-faceted Ah-Shahran, but it certainly would suit him. :)
Noble is a match for the rarely seen serious and driven side of Ah-shahran that he spends most of his time trying to hide (even from himself), but yeah, it's not so much appropriate for his present incarnation as tied into his painful past lives that he wishes he could forget. And you pretty much nailed the debate; I already dismissed Noble Adept as being too awkward to use properly in PbP.

How do people feel about Seer? I particularly want Goonalan's opinion, but are people generally ok with having 3 d20 rolls predetermined?

RavenBlackthorne

First Post
I'm having trouble deciding on a theme for Viator, especially as being a psion limits his options somewhat. Wilder could represent random bursts of his uncontrolled power. Noble Adept fits with his privileged upbringing and lends itself the most synergy with the class. But that's it, really.
Any suggestions?

tiornys

Explorer
I'm having trouble deciding on a theme for Viator, especially as being a psion limits his options somewhat. Wilder could represent random bursts of his uncontrolled power. Noble Adept fits with his privileged upbringing and lends itself the most synergy with the class. But that's it, really.
Any suggestions?
Scholar and Noble also make sense for a privileged upbringing--I can send you details if you lack access to Dragon material. Veiled Alliance would need some reflavoring to make sense outside Dark Sun, but I think Viator would enjoy having Excise from Sight.

t~

edit: actually, this link is a generic summary of the themes, and seems generally useful here.

Last edited:

Goken100

First Post
I think all of those options are good ones for Viator (except for Veiled Alliance - even re-flavored for a different secret society, it's not a great flavor fit for Viator).

I think the Noble Adept power Adept's Insight is pretty sweet. I can just imagine imagine one of the other characters missing some crucial roll at the wrong time, and about to fail. Then Viator's voice is sudently in the characters head, furiously whispering "Reach out with your hand now!" or some such. A grateful character glances back back at Viator to see him wincing and blood trickling from his nose. The negative with the power is that you'd inevitably have to chime in to use it after the action has already moved on, requiring a bit of back-tracking. Would be cool though.

Wilder fits the character, but I'm not sure it really brings any great hooks or new abilities to the table.

Scholar is a fun one, would be tempted to take it for Freggo if I hadn't already established him as more likely to ditch class than study diligently. Great for high-int characters. The feature power gives you a defense bonus and damage bonus; not sure a controller really needs either that badly but it certainly can't hurt. And languages are the sweetness, lots of room for fun there.

Noble is a good one too, but the feature power has the feel of giving commands (which isn't a bad thing, but I'm not sure it matches Viator's personality exactly). It also requires you to be within 3 of the folks you're ordering around, and sometimes Viator hangs back a bit.

Other than that, you could always choose something fun like Alchemist, Animal Master, Explorer, or Seer. Those don't seem contradictory to the character to me either, but I don't know too much about the character's background so it's hard to say.

larryfinnjr

First Post
Velani is certainly going to pick up the Guardian Theme. Perfect synergy with her current build.

This is the first cavalier I've seen in play at all...for a while I was on the fence about it, but it's starting to grow on me. I'd been playing with revamping her as a full-blown pally, but comparing the two, I think I'm gonna stick with the Cav. If nothing else, tracking the defender aura vs. divine challenges/sanctions is easier for the DM.

Love the thoughts for the rest of you. I personally would LOVE to see the Seer in play...could make for some cool "save your butt" moments and even more potential for some cool roleplay. I think Goonalan could pull it off with flair...I could see a caveat like "no retconning after 2 posts or more have gone up" to keep down the amount of retractions needed. Pre-posting usage options could be used too, like "I'll pop the 18 if the next combat roll misses" or somesuch.

In other thoughts, I'm here Jonesin' for boss-man to get back! LOL

Hope all are enjoying a great weekend... I'm back on duty tomorrow, but just for the one day......

Goken100

First Post
Velani is certainly going to pick up the Guardian Theme. Perfect synergy with her current build.
*SNIP*

I looked at the Guardian too, it's pretty cool. One thing I noticed that I wasn't too sure of was the level 10 feature. You have to pick a creature to be your bonded charge, whom you must protect at all costs. But I guess In Velani's case that's no problem. She has Big Tony. :)

Goken100

First Post
Without knowing anything about them, nope. :)

Bye
Thanee

If you're interested, the link that tiornys found is pretty good: Themes
I might suggest Animal Master (getting you a pet) or Explorer (great for not getting lost and stuff). If there are any that you're interested in, one of us can share the DDI articles from which they originate.

Or you can just not worry about it. No pressure. :)

Thanee

First Post
Ah, thanks for the link (must have missed it the first time, I guess :)).

That gives me an idea what the whole thing is about at least. :)

Bye
Thanee

tiornys

Explorer
Agreed!

Love the thoughts for the rest of you. I personally would LOVE to see the Seer in play...could make for some cool "save your butt" moments and even more potential for some cool roleplay. I think Goonalan could pull it off with flair...I could see a caveat like "no retconning after 2 posts or more have gone up" to keep down the amount of retractions needed. Pre-posting usage options could be used too, like "I'll pop the 18 if the next combat roll misses" or somesuch.
Yeah, we can probably make Seer work, and Noble Adept too. Heck, we could probably just assume that, if we're within 5 of Viator and the roll is close (and he hasn't spent Adept's Insight yet), we have the 1d4+1 to play with.

In other thoughts, I'm here Jonesin' for boss-man to get back! LOL
Definitely! Although I get some RL D&D tomorrow, so I'll get some fix there :)

But I guess In Velani's case that's no problem. She has Big Tony. :)
LOL!

Ah, thanks for the link (must have missed it the first time, I guess :)).

That gives me an idea what the whole thing is about at least. :)

Bye
Thanee
I added the link after spotting your post about not having access. I'm glad your attention was drawn to it (thanks Goken100)!

t~

Remove ads