• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scarred Lands: Ask the Sage [New and Improved!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagpuss

Legend
Is there a megaplot in Scarred Lands? Or is it pretty static as a setting and if there is a megaplot which products is this evident in?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Bagpuss said:
Is there a megaplot in Scarred Lands? Or is it pretty static as a setting and if there is a megaplot which products is this evident in?
Well there is the whole "That Which Abides, is He REALLY dead now?" controversy. Most of the metaplot/megaplot at the moment is just some slight changes (the Calastian advances moves and changes from each perspective, maybe some new details about items of note, such as assassination attempts, etc). So far though I wouldn't say the world is static. Just nothing mega happening....other than That Which Abides coming back to life. And you can thank Dead God trilogy for that. Now to cover that one (and please understand there is some debate shaping up over this in some quarters), one has to have read the entire series. I've only read the first 2. But that being said, the Faithful and the Forsaken covers this little detail of Jandaveos' ressurrection, (That Which Abides, the Forsaken Elf's god.) and the aftermath quite well. Now Trick will probably come here and blast the book again, but we'll see.

Last edited:

Trickstergod

First Post
Nightfall said:
But that being said, the Faithful and the Forsaken covers this little detail of Jandaveos' ressurrection, (That Which Abides, the Forsaken Elf's god.) and the aftermath quite well. Now Trick will probably come here and blast the book again, but we'll see.

Oh, it's possible. In fact, I'd say it's exceptionally likely. But at the moment, it isn't really kosher to the conversation, beyond answering to this comment here.

Suffice to say, though, any conversation that starts into the Faithful and the Forsaken will likely result in my attempting to destroy the book with a great fervor, and any future Scarred Lands products that reference it will also likely receive a similar treatment from me.

But...so it goes.

Nightfall

Thanks for the input Trick as always. (Your chaos to my lawfulness is always interesting to see.) Now Trick any comments about megaplot/metaplotting?

Trickstergod

First Post
Nightfall said:
Thanks for the input Trick as always. (Your chaos to my lawfulness is always interesting to see.) Now Trick any comments about megaplot/metaplotting?

Better done through adventures than novels (try to put PC's at the center of it).

Sometimes, it's just better never done at all, at least when it makes drastic changes (particularly ones that negate well set-up plot hooks or for all intents and purposes cause the extinction of RPG setting-specific races). Considering adventures don't sell well, perhaps this is just the best way to normally go.

Keep in mind that we're talking RPG's here. While I don't mind a setting evolving to some degree, and a good setting should have a good story (as campaign settings are really the only places you'll find metaplot in an RPG), I want to play in the setting, not read about it. One need only look to Dragonlance to see where metaplot gets a campaign setting; I can't say I've met many fans of the Fifth Age.

Metaplot also ruins the utility of later RPG products - those not following the storyline will be left out, and eventually, interest will wane as the games actually being played start to look less and less like the campaign setting being written. For my part, it is an unlikely thing on my part to purchase any Scarred Lands product that references the Faithful and the Forsaken or the Dead Gods trilogy.

Metaplot isn't always so bad - for those familiar with Werewolf: the Apocalypse, I believe Rage Across the Heavens is a good example of how RPG's should handle metaplot. It introduces an NPC who is an exception to everything already established within the game, who might very well change the world for existing. But it's done in such a way that the effect won't likely be felt or known for another twenty years, and being just one individual, the NPC's birth offers no drastic changes. While it's been a while since I've really got my groove on with the World of Darkness, I recall Ethan Skemp (developer for Werewolf: the Apocalpyse, unless my brain's gone to mush) saying that one should be as unintrusive as possible to on-going campaigns within future gaming products.
Somewhat along the same lines here, I'll also say the more optional metaplot is, the better (though this can become problematic depending on how far-ranging and drastic a change is made).

Furthermore, I do believe there's a point where a game setting begins to stagnate and could do with a change. Until that point is reached, however, it shouldn't be done. Or done sparingly, at least.

Anyway, there's my thoughts. Hopefully somewhat cognizant, seeing as how my dog is an obnoxious twit whose barking woke me up after three hours of sleep that came after a long night of gaming followed up by about three hours of singing and then breakfast. Stupid dog.

Nightfall

Uhm yeah. Thanks Trick. Really didn't mean "What do you think of Metaplotting/Megaplots." I meant "Is there one in the Scarred Lands? And mind outlining it."

Just you know, thought we'd see if you and I are on the right page on that level...

I am sorry I wasn't clear before hand on that note. That was my bad.

Last edited:

Trickstergod

First Post
Nightfall said:
Uhm yeah. Thanks Trick. Really didn't mean "What do you think of Metaplotting/Megaplots." I meant "Is there one in the Scarred Lands? And mind outlining it."

Just you know, thought we'd see if you and I are on the right page on that level...

I am sorry I wasn't clear before hand on that note. That was my bad.

Fair enough.

Anyway, do I think there's one in the Scarred Lands?

I'm not so sure right now, actually. Other than the Dead Gods trilogy, I haven't seen much of a story arc going on in the setting. Plenty of story hooks one could go with, no problem. But they seem to be set up and detailed, then let be. Explanations, history, secrets...all that's come out, but I don't recall seeing much of it necessarily resolved.

However, the Scarred Lands is produced by Sword and Sorcery Studios, who are linked to White Wolf, who made the World of Darkness, which had plenty of metaplot, and many of the writers from one write for the other. So I certainly wouldn't be surprised by any metaplot. I wish I could recall the comment, but I swear I heard something that hinted at a possible underlying plot and story arc in the setting.

Then again, as has been said before, there's a decent amount of fan input that's gone into the setting. When there's an element like that, it means that the setting will be fairly loose and open, which also means to my mind that it has the potential to go just about anywhere - meaning something planned out like a metaplot isn't necessarily likely. Which reminds me of the comment I was thinking of! Joe had mentioned that the Scarred Lands, while it has certainly added things in which weren't initially planned for it, and become a fairly organic thing, it isn't just completely a hodge-podge setting that's being produced with no forethought. Or something like that. Which doesn't necessarily mean metaplot.

Ahhh...lessee...if the Scarred Lands does have a metaplot, however, I'm tempted to say it will eventually lead up to the Divine Truce being broken in some way, in one way or another, with at least one titan-resurrection somewhere along the way - likely someone such as Gulaben or Lethene, who are arguably the easiest to free, being that they're really only imprisoned, as opposed to imprisoned and chopped up into teeny little bits. Perhaps this is just my bias showing through, but I'd say Enkili lied about Mesos taking his power, and he was either in cahoots with Hedrada or Mesos. Neither of which anyone would suspect, Hedrada being Enkili's polar opposite, and being that Enkili's lie ended up in Mesos destruction. If not that, or possibly on top of that, then I'd say Vangal's act of mercy towards Lethene was so that he would have a titan he could sic on the world at a later date, using the ensuing chaos to wreak bloody carnage upon the world.

That's all a bit general, I know, but I hardly have an insider information into the matter. Hopefully, if anymore metaplot is done, it's done in such a way as to not destroy the integrity of parts of the setting.

Taelorn76

First Post
NightFall,

I wanted to ask your permission to post a HTML formatted version of the PrCs list you put up on my site so it could be easily viewed.

Also would I need S&S permission for that? I am not claiming the material as mine just posting the info so I don't believe I would need. But better to be safe then sorry.

edit:
Ohh and of course all credit for the list would go to you.

Last edited:

Torillan

First Post
Nightfall said:
Tor,

Well understand not everything in the Underdark even in FR revolved around dark elves. I mean there were/are colonies of Beholders, Illithids/Mind Flayers to name a few. But as for a large Underscarn (term I've come to use) consider the fact that a lot of change occurred, under, in, over, and around Scarn. So it makes for having a large living system like FR a little less likely. That being said there's no reason you could say have a large underdwelling that starts some 5 miles from the tip of the Fangsfall Pennisula to say the Gray Isle. Such a dwelling would easily dwarf most of the Faerunian Underdark. (I believe it easily would be over 4000 miles long.) However I think that being said, a LOT of Slacerian ruins would be there, possibly some leaks from the Blood Sea...I think you get my drift. The Dark elves are dying people, Tor. They can barely hold on to the god they have. So for now I don't see them straying to new gods any more than the forsaken elves would leave That Which Abides. However if you want more dark elves, be my guest. But between what already lies above the surface and the fact most of the Underscarns were owned by Slacerians...doesn't make seem likely they could carve out the niches like their brethren else where...

In hindsight, I guess my question was poorly worded. I do realize that the Underdark of FR encompassed many species, but Dark Elves seemed to play a very prominent role. I did go back and re-read the BT sourcebook, and I can see how problematic changing it can be (hindsight, always 20/20!!). Thanks for setting me straight [bows reverently]. :)

Nightfall

Taelorn,

Firstly I'm reasonable sure the names are useable in the sense they are OGC. The actual class FEATURES I believe are not. Secondly, you have my permission to do. Understand though this list is only as exhaustive as to Blood Sea, which while out now I don't have access to. That means that I can only say Seaborn is probably one of say an unknown number of Pr-classes. There could be more. I can't say with accuracy exact numbers. But I will update that when I get a chance to look over Blood Sea. Same is true for Echoes of the Past along with Edge of Infinity. But if you want what I have now, be my guest. Thirdly I don't believe you need S&SS permission for a list like this.

Trick,

When it comes to Enkili I'm 100% you're biased towards him. So its all good. I do think you raise a point about some time of another Divine War coming. If only because eventually ONE of the Titans will be restored or become active again. (I still favor Mormo or Mesos since they had the most power AND have the most active adherants. But that's me showing my bias I suppose.) Whether this will become a metaplot or just maybe a way to hearld in D&D 4.0 is hard to say. (I favor the latter if only because unlike Time of Troubles, the changes caused by Divine War/Titanswar are often far more serious since we have divine factions fighting than just some overgod's whim.)

Tor,

Not a problem man. I don't mean to dash your hopes of increasing the Dark Elves power. But realistically they facing the same problems as the forsaken elves, just on a less drastic scale. Uhm sort of. I mean you could easily have some way to have Nalthalos return to his original state (options on how are up to you), and thus increase the dark elves/drendali's standing. But even so, I don't necessarily see them taking over too much. Even with diminished power of Charduni, the dark elves aren't nearly as industrious as these little guys. But that's my opinion of course.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads