• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scarred Lands: Ask the Sage [This keeps up, I'm gonna need a bigger notebook!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Well excuse my late coming as I was occupied, but firstly Joe, while I respect your opinion, I guess what I enjoyed about Edge was it left a lot to the imagination. It might not have had the originality of Book of Countless Doorways but it left the possibility that more might expand beyond if you counted Occult planes.

The Divine planes, granted, weren't exceptional but what else did you expect find?

In any case I do rate Edge higher than some but I will say it's not the best overall.

Zelda,

For me the Player's Guides were good simply because they finally offered ideas on making Scarred Lands characters in a 3rd edition setting. I've yet to see that in Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk. Eberron I say does but that's about the only one from WotC. There are, of course, others that do this just well with only one book. But maybe for me, covering all the classes works out best for the simple reason, you don't have to keep looking to find out how to make your cleric stand out from the millions that came before.

Anyway my two cents.

Trickstergod

First Post
Nightfall said:
Well excuse my late coming as I was occupied, but firstly Joe, while I respect your opinion, I guess what I enjoyed about Edge was it left a lot to the imagination. It might not have had the originality of Book of Countless Doorways but it left the possibility that more might expand beyond if you counted Occult planes.

The Divine planes, granted, weren't exceptional but what else did you expect find?

In any case I do rate Edge higher than some but I will say it's not the best overall.

Zelda,

For me the Player's Guides were good simply because they finally offered ideas on making Scarred Lands characters in a 3rd edition setting. I've yet to see that in Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk. Eberron I say does but that's about the only one from WotC. There are, of course, others that do this just well with only one book. But maybe for me, covering all the classes works out best for the simple reason, you don't have to keep looking to find out how to make your cleric stand out from the millions that came before.

Anyway my two cents.

Edge of Infinity left about as much to the imagination as the Manual of the Planes; to a degree, Edge of Infinity is like someone took the Manual of the Planes and put a campaign setting spin to it.

And leaving a lot to the imagination, to my mind, reads as "The book itself is lacking and you're better off without it, because you'll have to jimmy up information yourself."

Not that I thought Edge was too bad, either; I'll be plunking it at a 3 whenever I get around to writing my, sigh...second review. Stupid computer.

As for the lack of player's guide equivalents to other settings...Eberron, for one, offers about as much for characters in the setting as the core Forgotten Realms book.

Not to mention Races of Faerun. Or even the Complete Guides and other class books, which tied, at least marginally, into Greyhawk. Although admittedly, Greyhawk as a setting isn't given much support at all, really.

I'm definitely in agreement with Zelda, though - I think the attempt at making the Scarred Lands player's guides more universally useful was detrimental to the setting, not helpful. Bit by bit, the Scarred Lands seems to blend in rather then stick out.

Cithindril

First Post
Last edited:

Nightfall

I have to agree with Danat. While I don't know all the details I am sure both R&R III and the SLCS: Asherak are either in hiatus or cancelled. We'll see.

Cithindril

First Post
Kind of thought that's what you all would say...pity... :(

I was also noticing that there's a listing for R&R - 5 as well! Projected release date of Dec 04. If they have delayed or cancelled these books, SSS really should notify Amazon since the company is taking pre-orders for books that might not exist! Not a way to ingratiate yourself with the fan base, eh? :confused:

**EDIT**

Sorry, it was Creature Collection 5 due out on 30 Dec 04, not R&R - 5... :eek:

Last edited:

Nightfall

5?? I didn't even think they'd gotten done with editing 4 yet!! :p

Cith, If anything changes I'll let you know. For now all I am certain of is the one release: The Lost Tribes of the Scarred Lands.

Other than that I don't honestly know how the end of 2004/begining of 2005 looks at the moment.

eryndel

Explorer
Anyone having problems with the S&S Forums. It's asking me for a username and password to get to the main page, and (not suprisingly) my fora password isn't working. After failing 3 times it gives me this site map which includes forums. However, the S&S forum there is quite new in design and, well, empty.

Are they actually giving us a new forum (hope beyond hope!!!) or is this some clutter of an idea lying around the backrooms of the White Wolf Website.

Anyone else getting this?

Werner

Edit: Yep, looks like we're getting a new forum and a new web design

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads