SCI-FI: SG-1 is out, Flash Gordon is in

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Well, I imagine if they tried that these days, the NFL would want $100 million. He might be an XFL player this time...

Pretty cool new - I love the movie. I hope they don't try to turn it into a soap opera like BSG though. Or change up the gender roles.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
trancejeremy said:
Pretty cool new - I love the movie. I hope they don't try to turn it into a soap opera like BSG though. Or change up the gender roles.

I dunno maybe they could add in a love triangle between Flash, Dale and Dr. Hannah Zarkov:)

sckeener

First Post
from the article
Despite critical acclaim, SciFi’s stellar Battlestar Galactica re-imagination has had continued ratings erosion which network honchos believe may be attributable to the show’s dark tone. It has been known for awhile that SciFi has been looking to develop “lighter” properties in the vein of their Stargate series, although it is expected that Flash Gordon will have a far more serious tone than the campy 1980 film starring Sam Jones, Melody Anderson, Timothy Dalton, Max Van Sydow and Topol.​

BSG ratings have fallen? that sucks. I love the dark themes...

how light are they going to make Flash Gordon? SG1 runs the gamut on light to dark...

Storm Raven

First Post
sckeener said:
BSG ratings have fallen? that sucks. I love the dark themes...

Perhaps if they stopped with so much of the mediocre soap opera and got on to more actual science fiction, the ratings wouldn't fall. Its not the dark themse that are sapping the show's vitality, it is the now pervasive "Starbuck and Apollo as star-crossed lovers" thing.

Ranger REG

Explorer
trancejeremy said:
Nah, they should try to modernize the 1930's film serial rather than remake the 1980's film.

horacethegrey

First Post
For this series to succeed, it must use the Queen theme in some form, end of story. :D

Kidding aside, reports of this new series has me interested, though I do have some reservations. I hope they don't make it all grim n' dark like Battlestar Galactica, even though I am a fan of the aformentioned show, I see no need to reimagine Flash Gordon like that. I also hope that Stephen Sommers is not associated with this in any form, as he was attached to make a Flash movie at one point. I've quite had enough with his brand of crap.

But I wonder what final form this show will take. Will it be a retro scifi cliffhanger tv serial? Or will it be a modern interpretation, much in the way Star Wars was in the 70's?

Remove ads