SCI-FI: SG-1 is out, Flash Gordon is in

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Ranger REG said:
Just please don't give me that "Flash Gordon, Quarterback, New York Jets" crap again.

(Grumpy Celt shoves Ranger REG aside, starts siging...)

FLASH! Ah-ha! He'll save every one of us!

I thought Stephen Sommers was making a movie of this.

Pathetic Earthlings... Who Can Save You Now?

Heh.

A little camp can be good. A little. It's like arsnic. Taken in small amounts you build up an immunity and can resist large dosages, like what is aired on most TV that the TV producers don't realize is is crap. I mean camp.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
This thread inspired me to rent the 1979 Cartoon. While it's not bad, exactly, it's very much like the 1980 movie in style (I have to think they shared concept designs and such), except played seriously. And it doesn't help that Prince Barrin talks like that Uncle Arthur from Betwitched...

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
I actually like the '80 movie. But then, I went into it expecting camp, and that's what I got. And there were some good actors in it doing a good job. (I'm a huge fan of Charles Middleton's Ming, but Max Von Sydow did an excellent job with the role. And Melody Anderson made a better Dale than simpering Jean Rogers... IMHO.)

Ranger REG

Explorer
The Grumpy Celt said:
A little camp can be good. A little. It's like arsnic. Taken in small amounts you build up an immunity and can resist large dosages, like what is aired on most TV that the TV producers don't realize is is crap. I mean camp.
*clips The Grumpy Celt on his right hamstring :] *

Campy is good if it is in small dose, like in a one-shot movie.

But in weekly TV episodes? No way. You might as well do a spoof of the franchise.

If that's the case, bring back Space Hoopty. :p

D.Shaffer

First Post
Well, this is definitely on my interest radar ATM. I always loved those old Flash Gordon serials that played after Dr. Who, locally. I'd love it if they did something similar, just modernised with better writing, designs, and FX. The only problem I can see is that if you pace it along the lines of a serial, people are gonna be very lost, very quickly if they miss some eps.

Ranger REG

Explorer
D.Shaffer said:
Well, this is definitely on my interest radar ATM. I always loved those old Flash Gordon serials that played after Dr. Who, locally. I'd love it if they did something similar, just modernised with better writing, designs, and FX. The only problem I can see is that if you pace it along the lines of a serial, people are gonna be very lost, very quickly if they miss some eps.
They could always do a recap at the beginning of every episode. Not a review of a previous episode, but a backstory that would set up for the current episode's story.

These days it's not so hard for the audience, now that major networks have rarely use reruns or repeat aired episodes during hiatus.

Last edited:

trancejeremy

Adventurer
IGN had some more news on this from a couple days ago

http://tv.ign.com/articles/755/755140p1.html

The most notable news was that the new SCI FI series Flash Gordon will be premiering this July, with a 22 episode season. The series had been rumored to be in development in recent weeks, but the fact that it will be on the air so soon is a bit of a surprise. No word on casting yet, but SCI FI promises that classic Flash characters Ming, Dale Arden, and Dr. Hans Zarkov will be included, and that, "Stellar adventures and heroic battles mark this inventive new take on the perennial science fiction classic." Flash Gordon is being produced by Robert Halmi, Sr. and Robert Halmi, Jr.

Those 2 Halmis were the producers of Farscape. So I guess that means this will be unintentionally campy...

Elf Witch

First Post
I am looking forward to seeing what they do with this series. I have always loved the old Flash Gordon serials.

You know what show I would like to seen rebooted Buck Rogers.

Remove ads