SCI-FI: SG-1 is out, Flash Gordon is in

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Elf Witch said:
I don't agree that Stargate has worn out its welcome. I have found that with the the departure of Richard Dean Anderson and the arrrival of Ben Browder and Claudia Black to have added new life to the show.

Eh - generally speaking, trying to improve a flagging show by importing the entire cast (sans puppets, anyway) of another failed show is not a good move. I couldn't stand that woman when she was on Farscape, and on Stargate, she's a million times more obnoxious.

And Beau Bridges? Casting him as a military officer is like casting Chris Tucker as Elvis

Elf Witch

First Post
trancejeremy said:
Eh - generally speaking, trying to improve a flagging show by importing the entire cast (sans puppets, anyway) of another failed show is not a good move. I couldn't stand that woman when she was on Farscape, and on Stargate, she's a million times more obnoxious.

And Beau Bridges? Casting him as a military officer is like casting Chris Tucker as Elvis

Not all the fans feel this way. A lot of us who have been around ten years like the changes.

They did not bring in Ben Browder and Beau Bridges to boost rating by firing Don S Davis and RDA.

Both those actors wanted to retire so they needed to recast.

I love Vala I think she has brought a breath of fresh air to the show and given new life to the character of DR. Jackson.

I also like Beau Bridges in the role he is playing he is not a clone of Hammond and I like his take of the character he is playing.

I would also like to point out your exaggeration of the bringing in the entire cast of Farscape sans puppets.

Ben and Claudia re only two fo the actors of the Frascape show there how many more let's see there was D'argo, Chiana, the plant lady, two other females who were in differnt seasons, Chrais and Scorpus and his henchmen I count at least nine other actors.

And I would like to point out that if you dislike the actress in Farscape then it is really no surprise that you don't like her Stargate.

The funny thing is right now the two gates shows are doing better in the ratings that BSG. And the main reason Stargate SG was removed from the line up from Scifi channel was more do to a disagrrement with MGM over how much they were going to pay for the show than the ratings.

Last edited:

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I was never able to get past the muppets and enjoy Farscape. (No offense to anyone who could.) I like both actors and find that they are suitable enough new characters to fill the gaps left by those who wished to leave the show.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Elf Witch said:
Not all the fans feel this way. A lot of us who have been around ten years like the changes.
You're going to have to count me as one of the oldtimers since the Season 1 who didn't like the change.

RDA as O'Neill was annoying at first but it grew on me. When he left, presumably to return to the States to be with his family more, SG-1 is no longer the same as it used to be and felt and heard. I missed him ... and his annoying one-liners and deadpan punchlines. He was as iconic as Shatner/Kirk. (Yes, I'm pulling out the TOS card! :p )

Don't get me wrong. I like the two new additions (Browder and Black). I'd rather it be a different Stargate spin-off.

Elf Witch

First Post
Ranger REG said:
You're going to have to count me as one of the oldtimers since the Season 1 who didn't like the change.

RDA as O'Neill was annoying at first but it grew on me. When he left, presumably to return to the States to be with his family more, SG-1 is no longer the same as it used to be and felt and heard. I missed him ... and his annoying one-liners and deadpan punchlines. He was as iconic as Shatner/Kirk. (Yes, I'm pulling out the TOS card! :p )

Don't get me wrong. I like the two new additions (Browder and Black). I'd rather it be a different Stargate spin-off.

You know that they are making a spin off to air in 2008?

I miss RDA as well but not the RDA of season 8 who seemed to sleep walk through his part. I don't mind Bowder's character because I don't feel he is playing Jack O'Neill but a different leader of SG1. His leadership style is different. As the character said in one episode that he did not feel asif he was Carter superiour officer as they were rhe same rank so they were equals and he did not feel like he was in the postion to just fire off orders to Teal'C or Daniel.

I do not think the writers have done a great job with his character sometimes I feel as if I am watching John from Farscape.

Now I don't see Aeryn at all when I watch Claudia Black playing Vala they are such different characters.

Elf Witch

First Post
Ranger REG said:
I mean they should've done the spin-off with Ben and Claudia.

I am kind of glad they are. The will be wrapping up the ORI storyline in the DVD. This way the rest of the season won't be rushed or worse the fans left with a cliffhanger and no ending.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Elf Witch said:
I am kind of glad they are. The will be wrapping up the ORI storyline in the DVD. This way the rest of the season won't be rushed or worse the fans left with a cliffhanger and no ending.
Meh. The Ori didn't impressed me as much as the Goa'uld and the Replicators. :\

Agamon

Adventurer
Ranger REG said:

I'm with REG. I like SG1, but it has lost something with RDA gone. And Ori are made to look much more impressive a foe than they've ever faced, but it seems forced that way and just seems to make them less impressive. I miss the Goa'uld.

Elf Witch

First Post
Ranger REG said:

The second movie is going to deal with Ba'al. Now I don't think the Ori are all that interesting but I like them better than the Replicators.

I didn't care that much for the replicators.

Remove ads