D&D 3E/3.5 Scientific names

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Don't know the singing tree.

Treants are tough- they've been depicted as sooo many different kinds of tree. I'd look at the scientific name of your favorite large tree and- as you intuit- add "sapiens" to the end.

abe ray

Explorer
Singing trees attract birds and other animals with their singing and drink small amounts of blood using their leaves which fly down drain 1 hp worth of blood and fly back to the tree to feed it. It's often paired with the talking bird which looks like a toucan but can talk.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

abe ray

Explorer
Actually yes there is! It has a symbiotic relationship with the singing tree. It's supposed to have a great singing voice as well as great knowledge.

abe ray

Explorer
It attracts birds with it's singing, which the tree feeds upon (being careful not to kill too many of) the tree protects the bird with it's blood sucking leaves! Both creatures can be found in creature compendium volume 1 for dnd 2nd edition if it helps.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hm! I have those books; never noticed those critters.

I'd take the same approach as with treants again. Find a bird you think it looks like and use the genus name, then add something for the species name like...Bardus or Vatemi

abe ray

Explorer
Actually now that I think about it they might be in the monstrous manual (maybe)
Spectator- monoculorus observus?

Remove ads