Scotley's Carrion Crown IC Part 1 The Haunting of Harrowstone

Scotley

Hero
"No law on the books that says you can't go up there to the prison, but it is dangerous. The place has been abandoned for a couple hundred years. As the professor discovered the stonework is falling apart. I haven't seen any ghosts, but most folk around here figure the place is haunted as well. I figure a holy man such as yourself wouldn't be afraid of such things, but I guess you been warned all the same, so don't blame me if you find trouble up there. If you do find evidence of a crime don't go stringin' anybody up without talkin' to me first. I ain't stoppin' you from looking into this, but I'm not making you a deputy either, so mind you don't take it into your head to dispense justice on your own. Course if you do find any ghosts I figure they are already dead and you can deal with them as you please." He chuckles at this last. "Don't go spreadin' any rumors either, we got enough crazy talk in this town about that place as it is."

Leif

Adventurer
Besharrn Blacktusk Half-Orc Ranger3

Besharrn pauses and considers the sheriff's words more. He decides that there is no need to be angry, much to his disappointment. :( [Besharrn hasn't had the chance to bust some heads for far too long now!]

"What discreet means, anyway?"

[sblock=rhun]discrete vs. discreet -- one of those weird things[/sblock]

[sblock=stats, Besharrn Blacktusk, Half-Orc Ranger3]

S15,D16,C14,I12,W12,C11

AC:21[10+7(+1 Breastplate)+3(Dex)+1(Dodge Feat)] [25 w/Shield of Swings]
FF:17
T:14 [18 w/Shield of Swings]

HP:33/35

Skills: (Ranks 7+7+7 = 21) [CS=Class Skill]
Climb 3 ranks +2 str +3 CS = +8
Intimidate 3 ranks +2 rac'l +3 CS +0cha = +8 [Std act'n-if sucsfl give opp the Shaken condition, -2 att]
[DC to demoralize=10+target's HD+target's Wis mod] [lasts 1rnd + 1rnd for every 5 check exceeds DC]
Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 3 ranks, +1 Int +2 Favored Terrain +3 CS = +9
Perception 3 ranks +1 wis +3 CS = +7 [+2 underground]
Stealth 3 ranks +3 dex +3 CS = +9 [+2 underground]
Survival 3 ranks +1 wis +3 CS = +7 [+2 underground] [+1 (half Ranger Level) to follow tracks]
Swim 3 ranks +2 str +3 CS = +8 [-3 ACP if wearing +1 Magic Breastplate]

Saves: Fort: +6 Ref: +7 Will: +3

Init +3, BAB +3, CMB +5, CMD 18 [22 w/ Shield of Swings]

Halberd +7, 1d10+3 dam, Short Sword +6, 1d6+2 dam, Heavy Crossbow +7, 1d10 dam

Feat: Shield of Swings - gain +4 AC and CMD but only do half damage. FULL ATTACK ONLY [APG]
[/sblock]

mleibrock

First Post
"No law on the books that says you can't go up there to the prison, but it is dangerous. The place has been abandoned for a couple hundred years. As the professor discovered the stonework is falling apart. I haven't seen any ghosts, but most folk around here figure the place is haunted as well. I figure a holy man such as yourself wouldn't be afraid of such things, but I guess you been warned all the same, so don't blame me if you find trouble up there. If you do find evidence of a crime don't go stringin' anybody up without talkin' to me first. I ain't stoppin' you from looking into this, but I'm not making you a deputy either, so mind you don't take it into your head to dispense justice on your own. Course if you do find any ghosts I figure they are already dead and you can deal with them as you please." He chuckles at this last. "Don't go spreadin' any rumors either, we got enough crazy talk in this town about that place as it is."

Falco listens to Dannis and the sheriff go back and forth a bit and finally sighs when the later gives us permission to go. He thinks to himself, maybe the sheriff is one of the good guys after all, he doesn't seem to be trying to hide anything.

Scotley

Hero
The Sheriff seems genuine enough. To all appearances he is a simple man who takes the protection of the local folk seriously. He is no doubt descended from the valiant guards who gave their lives to defend the town from the rioting prisoners so long ago.

Rhun

First Post
"I suppose we should take our leave then, Sheriff. Please feel free to call on us, if you should require are assistance."

Leif

Adventurer

Since no one is apparently going to answer his question, Besharrn just shrugs and prepares to leave.

[sblock=Rhun]Thanks. That's a very, very easy one to get wrong, discreet vs. discrete. The spellings are confusing, but the meanings are nothing alike.[/sblock]

[sblock=stats, Besharrn Blacktusk, Half-Orc Ranger3]

S15,D16,C14,I12,W12,C11

AC:21[10+7(+1 Breastplate)+3(Dex)+1(Dodge Feat)] [25 w/Shield of Swings]
FF:17
T:14 [18 w/Shield of Swings]

HP:33/35

Skills: (Ranks 7+7+7 = 21) [CS=Class Skill]
Climb 3 ranks +2 str +3 CS = +8
Intimidate 3 ranks +2 rac'l +3 CS +0cha = +8 [Std act'n-if sucsfl give opp the Shaken condition, -2 att]
[DC to demoralize=10+target's HD+target's Wis mod] [lasts 1rnd + 1rnd for every 5 check exceeds DC]
Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 3 ranks, +1 Int +2 Favored Terrain +3 CS = +9
Perception 3 ranks +1 wis +3 CS = +7 [+2 underground]
Stealth 3 ranks +3 dex +3 CS = +9 [+2 underground]
Survival 3 ranks +1 wis +3 CS = +7 [+2 underground] [+1 (half Ranger Level) to follow tracks]
Swim 3 ranks +2 str +3 CS = +8 [-3 ACP if wearing +1 Magic Breastplate]

Saves: Fort: +6 Ref: +7 Will: +3

Init +3, BAB +3, CMB +5, CMD 18 [22 w/ Shield of Swings]

Halberd +7, 1d10+3 dam, Short Sword +6, 1d6+2 dam, Heavy Crossbow +7, 1d10 dam

Feat: Shield of Swings - gain +4 AC and CMD but only do half damage. FULL ATTACK ONLY [APG]
[/sblock]

J. Alexander

First Post
As tbey prepare to leave Brendan will ask in a off hand way "I am just curious to know if you are aware of anyone else besides the professor visiting that dread place, the prision, in the last year or so.

Remove ads