[Sealed Lands] The City of Taleas

Kalanyr

Explorer
The noonday sun shines down on the city of Taleas, capital of the country of Taleas as the party of 6 adventurers hired by Darvin exits the Palace from their hiring. As Sir Kay, Dax Belov, Aerick Holderson, Dekiran Tovaal, Haragaos and Arianne exit the palace, they emerge into the city each with a royal writ giving them free access to any mundane resources of the Crown as well as access to any of the sages or scholars employed by the court in hand.

Meanwhile Argus Granite Shield enters the gates of Taleas, on the task assigned to him by his elders determined to see what the humans know of the recent events.

Rylis Slystep meanwhile moves through the market area of the city gathering information as requested by the Wise Ones of his tribe. As he makes his way through the crowds gathering information he spots another small figure likewise making its way through the crowds keeping to the shadows, Rylis thinks the figure is watching him.

Last edited:

Serpenteye

First Post
Dekiran squints in the sudden sunlight, piercing after the relative darkness of the castle. With his face expressionless, except for the hint of a slight frown, he carefully considers the problem.
In all likelyhood the initial 'disappearance' and subsequent 'appearance' of the cavern was caused by the incompetence and sloth of the cartographers. The cave was simply there all along, but someone wrote the maps inaccurately and others couldn't read them correctly until supporting evidence was presented by the explorers. The Crown seems to have ruled out this possibility, though, so perhaps we should proceed along a different path. Rooting out the, probable, corruption in the cartographers' guild will be impossible without direct royal sanction. Merely asking questions would probably reveal little of value, but even a small clue could be crucial.
The possibility of earth-quakes cannot be dismissed, a minor, local quake could have caused land slides that first covered then uncovered the cave. I would assume that the Vizier would know about that, but apparently he knows little and reveals less. Some of the sages will know, surely.
There might be a small possibility that the cave was deliberately hidden, with either mundane or magical means. If the cave was used as a dwelling by some monstrous creatures... Unlikely, but it has been known to happen elsewhere, that what appeared to be a simple cavern has housed the most fearsome of creatures. If this is the case here the reopening of the cave is a dire omen indeed. The invasion might already be underway. Or not.

Festy_Dog

First Post
Argus plods through the gates, making steady pace towards the nearest tavern.

Aye, need a drink after all that walkin'... might be able to find out what the humans know too, catch a few rumours even... aye.

ferretguy

First Post
Looking to where the dwarf is going, Aerick hails himPerhaps I may join you, after all going to scholars and cartagraphers is definitly going to wind up giving me a massive headache instead of information. I, myself, feel the best way to investigate this caveis to get there instead of wasting time galavanting around the city..Aerick smiles....Also all this talking with the Vizer has definitly made me thirsty

Festy_Dog

First Post
Argus stops dead in his tracks, turning to the human who just addressed him.

Originally posted by ferretguy
...Also all this talking with the Vizer has definitly made me thirsty.

Scholars... cartographers... caves... has the good Mountain Forger just dropped this into my lap? A blessed dwarf I am indeed.

"Err, aye, I'll shout ye a drink too, amiable fellow y'are, aye. I'm in the mood fer hearin' somethin' of interest, mayhaps ye can tell me about this story o' scholars, caves 'n' cartographers." Argus says, a friendly smile on his face.

Nothing nice looking about Argus though, far from it in fact. His face gives the impression that there's a wild boar somewhere who wants it's butt back. A bit of soap wouldn't go astray either.

Last edited:

Kalanyr

Explorer
OOC: Sorry should have made it clearer the Palace is located in the city centre it would be quiet a distance to the northen gates (where Argus) and to the heart of the market area (where Rylis is) which is on the west side of the palace. If you want I could assume you'd travel along a bit while heading to the cartographers which would involve heading up to the northern area of town.

ferretguy

First Post
OOC: oopss....Oh well lets just say that Aerick being the way he is hates the city and all this talking to people who spend all there time in books quite distastefull desided to get away...leaving word with the others he would meet up with them later that day at the Broken Leg inn (no finer eatin' and drinkin' establishment this side of the mountains in his opinion.... :D )
Ach, this ones face reminds me of my brothers pet boar...although he does seem more friendly...

Looking down at the dwarf, Aerick takes a liken' to this strange little man. Bein' a stranger and all and definitly not from these civilized parts.
Well friend, As they're walking to the tavern (hell to the Broken Leg if'n its possible)it seems that there's this new cave thats suddenly appeared up in the Mount Seurales that nobody seems to know about,although its on the maps, and they need someone to go investigate it. So here I've been summoned to help out with a group of city men to find out the why'fores of a new hole in the ground.

Last edited:

Thels

First Post
After descenting the palace stairs, Arianne looks at the others, standing with her hands on her knees. Her appearance make her look like an odd addition to the group, as she's about as large as a 14 year old and quite frail. A high voice erupts from her mouth, which could certainly belong to a young girl. "Guess we should find out what we can about the cavern as long as we're still in town. Splitting up might be a good idea," she says, as Argus and Aerick walk away. "Anyone feel like visiting the cartographers with me?"

Last edited:

Inez Hull

First Post
If it be the will of Aeter that I seek out this cavern, who be I to question the High Priest's commands. Yet I look upon this fool company and see naivety and ignorance to the truths of Aeter's weighing hands. If closing off this cavern once more be my fated duty, then so I will, and let these others prove what use they be.

The tall, pale, black-clad priest turns his emotionless gaze to his alloted companions and speaks in gravelly voice like the scraping of gravesoil over a newly lowered coffin. "Let us acquire what goods we need to mount our search and begin. Aeter's patience is infinite, but whatever lies in this cavern that causes him offence may not be so. We should be quick to mete out what fate he deems, before the abomination's threat to man can grow, else we meet Aeter before our time."

Serpenteye

First Post

It would be quite useful to find out what we can before heading to the cave. If we know what to expect we can better prepare ourselves for it. It is far from certain this situation has anything to do with 'abominations'. It's likely the cause is a far less interesting one. We can leave no sooner than tomorrow morning, if we would leave this afternoon we'd hardly be out of the city before it would be time to make camp.

Dekiran looks down at the girl, admiring her beauty, and with a charming smile he offers to go with her to the cartographers. It would be a pleasure.
Looking back at the rest of the group,I suggest a couple of you go to fetch the supplies and mounts we are going to need while the rest of you make inquiries elsewhere. We can meet up at (name of respectable tavern or inn) by eveningfall, and then decide wether we know enough to travel to the cave tomorrow.

OoC: Kalanyr, is there any particular locations that the characters know of where they could get their questions answered?

Last edited:

Remove ads