Sean's Picks of the Week (1121-1125): Savage Fantasy Week

In what started out as an unintended coincidence - two Savage Worlds fantasy-related Picks in a row - I ended up with a fully-themed week of Picks. I'd be interested in knowing what kinds of themes you would enjoy seeing in the future, so by all means Comment away and let me know. What follows are settings, adventures, and useful sources for anyone running fantasy-themed Savage games.

In what started out as an unintended coincidence - two Savage Worlds fantasy-related Picks in a row - I ended up with a fully-themed week of Picks. I'd be interested in knowing what kinds of themes you would enjoy seeing in the future, so by all means Comment away and let me know. What follows are settings, adventures, and useful sources for anyone running fantasy-themed Savage games.

DRAKONHEIM SAVAGE COMPANION

A city full of necromancers and their creations, fully-functional as something more than a "den of evil?" Drakonheim struck a lot of chords with folks as a setting-neutral city for fantasy gaming, and now Sneak Attack Press brings you a Savage Worlds companion to port it directly into your Savage fantasy gaming.

Drakonheim: City of Bones was released earlier this year. The system-free setting book features an ancient city where necromancers operate openly.

The Savage Companion features all the rules you need to play in Drakonheim using the Savage Worlds system, including:
  • 9 archetypes
  • 2 new races (goblin and hobgoblin)
  • 6 new Hindrances
  • 22 new Edges
  • 5 pieces of gear
  • 5 deities
  • 3 new power trappings
  • Expanded rules for necromancers and undead
  • Full stats for all 29 of the major NPCs described in the setting book
  • Several NPC archetypes and monsters
  • An adventure generator

Because the companion is designed to work with the Drakonheim: City of Bones setting book, the Companion does not contain setting information on its own. You can get both the setting book and Savage Companion at a discount in the Drakonheim Savage Bundle.

While written with Drakonheim in mind, all the material can be use in a range of fantasy settings.

SHAINTAR: THE FREELANDS

Yes, more Savage Worlds fantasy fun, but when it rains, it often pours, and I didn't want this one to get missed. Perhaps this will be a theme week... Anyway, this is one of the more interesting places in Shaintar (yes, the fantasy world that I created, just to be transparent about it), as it's the place where they defied the concept of nobility and began an experiment atypical of "medieval fantasy" worlds.

The Freelands! This is where Shaintar first began to be explored. The keep found within (Lone Keep) is where Sean Patrick Fannon placed his first gaming group to start having them explore his creation. The governing philosophy of the land is "Freedom"! It's as simple as that. The folks who live here have the same jobs you'll find elsewhere: farmer, smith, jeweler, farrier, glassmaker, tanner and so on but trade has been raised to an art form and the artisans and tradesfolk seem almost like family -- there's many families who adopt each other to create those bonds.

Its wilder and woolier here. People rule themselves and that's just the way they want it! The only group that is universally accepted are the Freelords of the Lone Keep, those sworn to protect the Laws of the lands. These men and women hold high, middle and low justice in every village town or so-called duchy found in the Freelands. Their only mandates: protect the Laws and the citizens of the area.

In this book, you'll find some great new information, an encounters chart and all kinds of background information about the Freelands, including the city of Lanthor which represents these lands to the rest of Shaintar. You'll also find some new edges, hindrances and perhaps some beasts and plants too.

SAVAGE BESTIARY: FANTASY FOES

So I realized a trend started this week, so I'm sticking with it - Savage Fantasy! Theme weeks might be an interesting way to go, at least sometimes - what do you think? Today, a nice foundation book, full of monsters and foes, for whatever fantasy setting you might be running in Savage Worlds.

Savage Bestiary: Fantasy Foes contains 40 fantasy themed monsters for use with the Savage Worlds roleplaying game. Included in the PDF are statistics for 7 of these creatures to be used as playable races. Classic fantasy beasts as well as more unique creations are included in this book so prepare for adventure and glory with Savage Bestiary: Fantasy Foes!

THE JUSTICE OF KERIR SHAR

As all over the United States, contemplations of gratitude ensue, I continue to be grateful for excellent design and utility of the Savage Worlds game system, as well as its effectiveness in making gaming easier and more accessible. Thus, our march through Savage Fantasy week continues with this latest release from GRAmel for their Beasts & Barbarians swords-and-sorcery setting.

“You can flee to the world’s end, Jazimar, but for what you did to my son, I’ll find you and rip your heart out!” Kerir Shar said. The threats of a father are always to be taken seriously, the more so if he is one of the most powerful sorcerers in Syranthia.

But who is that strange merchant living in a remote village in the Verdant Belt, so far away from civilization? And why does his blind daughter play such sad music?

Revenge, hate and the dangers of the mysterious Lush Jungle await you in this Heroic Tale.

Are you ready to endure the Justice of Kerir Shar?

Welcome to The Justice of Kerir Shar, a Heroic Tale of the Beasts & Barbarians Savage Worlds setting.

If I may be so bold, my own publishing company, Evil Beagle Games is currently offering everything RPG we have on sale at 50% off for the next week.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you who celebrate it, and a happy day to all the rest!

CODEX INFERNUS

We close out "Savage Fantasy Week" - that accidentally-begun theme week that I just decided to roll with as Wednesday hit - with a book that's immensely cool and very useful for any genre of Savage Worlds you want to run. At the same time, it certainly hits the mark for your fantasy gaming as it presents the ultimate destination for those fantasy heroes who seek the greatest challenge of all - battling the forces of Hell head-on!

A holy warrior fighting back infernal beasts on the precipice of a fiery pit. Cloaked figures chanting an incantation to bring forth a nameless beast. A man standing at a crossroads bartering with a demonic temptress for fame and fortune; the price of which is his very soul.

Advisers to kings and queens, dictators and presidents, whispering lies at the behest of their demon lords with the fate of nations resting on whether or not the advice is heeded. A scientist examining a strange artifact found on a distant planet that, unbeknownst to him, opens a mysterious gate to a nightmarish dimension when a button is pushed.

These are just a sampling of the myriad images which come to mind when we think of Hell. Codex Infernus: The Savage Guide to Hell, brings those images to life and shows you how to plug them into your games, regardless of what genre you love to play!

In this book you'll find:

• Ready-to-play character archetypes for fantasy and modern games.
  • New Fantasy races
  • A new Demonic race: Cambion
  • New Edges and Arcane Backgrounds
  • Guidelines for creating Angelic, Demonic, and Hell-forged weapons
  • Guidelines for blessing items—even if you don’t have an Arcane Background!
  • An immersive Fantasy campaign setting
  • A detailed section on Hell itself
  • Guidelines for creating cults
  • A brief look at Hell in various cultures stemming back to ancient Mesopotamia!
  • Rules for demonic pacts, demonic possession, and an optional corruption system
  • Hellish hazards!
  • A gazetteer filled with demons you can use in your games!

This one has an all-star cast of writers and designers - Darrell Hayhurst, Darren Pierce, Monica Valentinelli, and Richard Woolcock among them - and is a gorgeous, well-researched presentation.

It's also worth noting that the core Savage Worlds rules are on sale right now for a crazy-low price of $4.99 - half off!

Note that I use affiliate links in all my posts as a way to generate additional revenue for my efforts; I make my Picks and other article choices, however, based on the desire to share a wide variety of things with you. Thank you for your support.

Sean Patrick Fannon
Writer & Game Designer: Shaintar, Star Wars, Savage Rifts, much more
Please check out my Patreon and get involved directly with my next projects!

Razz0putin

Explorer
I like the idea of theme weeks occasionally. I'd like to see one for the supers genre. I'm thinking the theme week might happen once a month or so. Just for my 2 cents.

Remove ads

Remove ads